Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-01-09, 16:55
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 315/307/200 Female 70
BF:44.0
Progress: 7%
Default Is anyone doing Protein Power? (Or PPLP?)

I see someone rarely, but I do see a few people on PPLP. I'm doing the 30-Day Low Carb solution (which is really abbreviated) and my only criticism is that it focuses too much on the protein value, and not enough on the importance of fat.

There is a basic formula for figuring out your carb allotment and a chart for the protein allotment, but what the book doesn't explicitly say is that "you will be gorging yourself on fat like never before if you've been following low fat principles to this point." It doesn't talk about the appetite satiation that fat provides. And it doesn't really talk about how high in carbs dairy can be.

There is a part where it outlines the equivalents of 6 ounce protein portions. Here are a few examples:

Eggs = 3 whole eggs and 6 egg whites
Eggs + Meat = 3 eggs plus 3 ounces bacon, sausage, ham or fish
Cottage cheese = 1.5 cups of cottage cheese

Eggs and meat portion seems reasonable. But who in their right mind is going to feast on that amount of eggs alone or cottage cheese?

Well, on one occasion, I did feast on that amount of cottage cheese - and I did it with strawberries! Two hours later I was jones-ing for carbs something fierce. That was my first week, but I when I found this forum and saw all the warnings about too much dairy, the realization of what I was doing dawned on me.

I'm also having trouble with the serving sizes of some of their recipes because in my mind, they don't jive with the "allowed" carbohydrate servings, or the minimum protein servings. I need to investigate more deeply, however. I'm an intuitive cook, and can see a recipe and extrapolate my own version of whatever. But now I need to take more care with the nutritional aspects of my cooking.

I welcome any discussion regarding Protein Power, Protein Power Life Plan or 30-Day Low Carb Solution. I'll be updating my library in the very near future with the more expansive literature on these plans.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-01-09, 17:38

Plan: Atkins 1972 version
Stats: 173/171/135 Female 5'5"
BF:38%/38%/19%
Progress: 5%

I enjoy protein power and pplp. The books have so much good information I still refer to it quite often because of the excellent formulas in there regarding lean body mass, and body fat formula. The formulas in there are very accurate. I'm not following their intervention phase or their diet yet tho. I haven't read the 30 day low carb solution. How do you like it? I'm a big fan of the Eades and I'm interested in that book, just to have more information on low carb under my belt (pardon the pun)

Currently I'm doing original Atkins the 1972 version of the Diet Revolution. His first book. I really enjoyed reading that book too, there is a wealth of information on blood sugar and hypoglycemia. I am hypoglycemic and I notice that when I up my carbs too much too fast I get rebound cravings like crazy, and I get nervous feeling, shaky, foggy, headaches and just a lethargic feeling in general.

When I get to my maintenance level and can tolerate more carbs I am going to use the pplp more regularly. I need to figure out my carb tolerance, and atkins is a good way to do that as you climb the ladder with 5 g carbs daily checking your keto sitx as you go.

I did try the Eades chocolate chip cheesecake in the past when I did the pp plan and it was so delicious and simple to make!

I'm happy to see you and meet you here! I hope to see you around!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-01-09, 17:52
Registered Member

Stats: 315/307/200 Female 70
BF:44.0
Progress: 7%

First, Becca, I love your avatar! "I'm not bad... I'm just drawn that way!."

Atkins is a little scary to me. I should read the book and dispell my reservations about it. When it first became popular, I was hearing from friends a co workers about how they were eating on that plan and it grossed me out. Having been told for so many years to consume low fat, whole grain, lean meat, etc. it just sounded so counterintuitive.

I went to the 30-Day LCS because it is the "what to eat" book. My endocrinologist told me to go on a "a low carb diet". She didn't tell me which one, just that I needed to go on one because my insulin is elevated. I just wanted to start quickly without re-learning the wheel. But I was misguided, I think.

30 Day LCS doesn't get so much into the science of their PP/LP plan. But now that I find that where it says to "eat healthy fats" it doesn't really get into calorie ratios or how much healthy fat to consume. There are some recipes. The mini cheesecake is in this book - but I haven't tried it yet.

So you find that PPLP incorporates more carbohydrates than Atkins? What would you say is the average daily carb intake in grams on PPLP? It looks like it could be as low as 20 across 3 meals and as high 50!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-02-09, 06:35

Plan: Atkins 1972 version
Stats: 173/171/135 Female 5'5"
BF:38%/38%/19%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffers

So you find that PPLP incorporates more carbohydrates than Atkins? What would you say is the average daily carb intake in grams on PPLP? It looks like it could be as low as 20 across 3 meals and as high 50!

Well it kind of incorporates more carbs than Atkins in that Atkins induction is a total of 20g of carbs where the Eades intervention in around 30g (granted they do say "or less"), but... the 1972 version of Atkins has you start at zero carbs for 1 week, then if your stix are turning purple, you are dropping pounds, and your appetite is suppressed, you move up to 5-8 g carbs intervals each week, provided you can answer yes to the above 3 questions (are ur stix still purple, dropping pounds, etc), if not you stay at the same carb level till you can answer yes to those questions. It's pretty simple really, even tho it sounds confusing at first.
There are some people who have such a sensitivity to insulin who can only tolerate very little carbs, some no more than 10g per day. with the 1972 version it starts you at zero, and puts you at the level of carbs that are optimal for you. Hence the ladder climbing of adding 5-8 carbs each week. When you get the the level where the stix are no longer turning purple you drop down to the last level of carbs and stay there. He calls that your critical carbohydrate level (CCL). I personally am trying to get back to the basics with Atkins, I've never been dedicated enough to figure out my CCL but I really feel as I'm getting older it is important for me to get my sh^t together. Especially with the hormonal changes that take place after 40. I can't be dicking around this any more at this point.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-06-09, 11:54

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffers
Atkins is a little scary to me. I should read the book and dispell my reservations about it.

I don't find Atkins "scary" but I just can't stand it. I *hate* Atkins Induction almost as much as I hate low-fat. I feel so deprived on it. Whenever I have tried Atkins Induction I've always ended up falling face-down in the carbs after a week or two because my cravings just get so intense.

Protein Power is probably actually my fave of all the LC plans I have ever read. If Atkins were the only plan around I suspect I never would have really gotten into LC as much as I have. But the first time I low-carbed (back in 1997-2001 time frame) I did it using the original PP plan and I just adored it. I lost 80 pounds in my first 14 months on the plan.

I'm really sorry I ever gave it up, but I ended up blowing it after I went into a 2 1/2 year stall with still 100+ pounds to lose, and still following PP faithfully. So naturally I ended up gaining it all back "and then some".

So here I am trying to do it again. Once again down 80 pounds, and now stalled for 7 months despite faithful adherence to LC. I bought a copy of PPLP this time around and have read it, but can't say I'm following it exactly. I'm following more a mish-mosh of things, trying this then that.

But I have a copy of the Eades new book, "The 6-Week Cure for the Middle-Aged Middle", pre-ordered from amazon, and it is supposed to be available on Tuesday, so I'll be curious to maybe try that plan out and see what it does for me, if anything.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-01-09, 18:10

Plan: Semi low carb??, PP?
Stats: 157/156/135 Female 5'5
BF:

I am also interested in Protein Power. I tried it a few years ago and was successful but I know much has probably changed and getting advice from people who are very familiar with the program really helps. I loaned my copy of the book so I had to order a new copy from Amazon-- it's supposed to arrive tomorrow! I have teh 30 day solution and I totaaly agree with you about the amounts-- very confusing!! I think I wouod rather just count carbs!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-01-09, 18:19
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

I quite like Protein Power Life Plan - it does factor in the dairy - because it has three different variants on the plan - Purist, Dilettante, Hedonist. With 'Purist' being more Paleo-ish (and consequently dairy free).

I started out with Atkins but gradually veered on over to PPLP - I like PPLP much better. That said, I'd always recommend Atkins *first* to anyone brand-new to low-carbing. The PPLP plan has a bit more flexibility, and I could see someone brand new to low-carbing not getting to the best aspects of ketosis and appetite suppression right off the bat with PPLP's more flexible approach. That said, I prefer to be on PPLP, in part because I can make my own decisions about what to eat within my various allotments of foods. There isn't anything in particular that's suddenly going to be the 'kiss of death' or anything like that. Whew!

Less guilt, and more encouragement to eat truly healthy foods (imo).

Oh, and to answer your questions:

PPLP's "Intervention" phase (similar to an induction of sorts) is up to 40 'net' carbs per day, a lot more than Atkins 20 grams. That gets you quite a bit more variety.

You know what - I think you should try PPLP. The book you have sounds like it's a bit confusing.

Hope this helps a wee bit. Good luck with this - it's a great plan.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-10, 17:45
Registered Member

Stats: 230/210/180 Male 5'9''
BF:
Progress: 40%

The first book PP is very convincing and it emphasize the importance of knowing your LEAN BODY MASS for that is the basis of your daily meals minimum protein requirement. Limiting the carbs allows a person to loose weight until the desired weight is acheived. Then you up the carb maintaining your weight at the desired level. The book encourage the use of good fat like butter olive oil and other nut oil. I'm presently in the process of reading that book all over again.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-10, 14:23

Plan: I plan to combine LC/IF
Stats: 243/239/160 Female 5ft 6in
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister230
The first book PP is very convincing and it emphasize the importance of knowing your LEAN BODY MASS for that is the basis of your daily meals minimum protein requirement. Limiting the carbs allows a person to loose weight until the desired weight is acheived. Then you up the carb maintaining your weight at the desired level. The book encourage the use of good fat like butter olive oil and other nut oil. I'm presently in the process of reading that book all over again.

Hi. I just reread PP. This book gives the best explanation I've seen for the relationship between cholesterol and carbs. Eades' nailed it for me. I began participating on this Low Carb Forum in January with intermittent fasting. Now, thanks to all of the stories and my own wake-up call, I am sold completely on the Low Carb way of life. The advice to read a lot of information on low carbs is the way to go.

Best wishes.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-10, 14:02

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I support low carb, period. Don't be afraid of Atkins, read the book and you will see that it is not at all what you have heard. I think that you should read as many low carb books that you possibly can so that you can become educated in low carb. Once you study low carb, you will see a link that connects them all. There is an "extreme" version of Atkins, very ketogenic, that is used to treat various neurological disorders such as epilepsy. So don't fear, get to know it and enjoy.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-10, 14:25
Registered Member

BF:

Right on Black57, you got it and i intend to do just that. I'm with you.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-10, 22:27
Registered Member

BF:

Yes, I am convinced that in order to get the full benefit from PP first book, one has to read it more than once. So many people suffer from chronic metabolic disorder leading to the number one killer which is heart disease. It isn't a book that should be read quickly but one that should be cocentrated on for its value and depth. The Eades offer the simple recipe about how anybody can start where they are in the condition of their health and go to where they want to be.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-11, 09:41

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I spent the summer/fall of 2010 finding and reading low carb books. I was amazed that Atkin's wasn't the only one. ANd he wasn't the first!
I learned so much!!! Each book has it's strengths and weakness in presenting information. All helped me understand that low carb is the way to go all day every day for life. In cluding my kids. It's not just about being slim, it what's healthy for the heart and body!

Atkin's, I think , is the simplest program. I can stay on the program the easiest.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-11, 14:39

Stats: 156/118/120 Female 65 inches
BF:36%/22%/18%
Progress: 106%

Like Black57, I support all forma of low carb. But personally, I am very happy on PPLP. As a doctor myself, I had read research and come to most of the same conclusions that the Eadeses did, unknowingly. At the time, I was doing bodybuilding and powerlifting, and I got super lean and stayed very strong.

After I had a serious medical illness and had lost a lot of muscle mass, I bought PPLP and read it through. It was more comprehensive than what I had been doing on my own, and since now my goal was a bit different, I found it to be extremely helpful. I joined this forum about the same time. I was not overweight, but I had serious health problems and that was why I was going back to low carb. PPLP got me back to health, and it was very easy to follow and I think it's very healthy. Since I hit my "goal" I have been totally stable on the plan and unless I lose my mind and eat some carby junky crap you can see my six pack abs every day. At age 48, that's an overwhelming endorsement of PPLP!

I didn't really think the induction phase of PPLP was much of a problem (I'm doing it again right now after a high-carb experiment - you can see my post about giving up low carb for Lent). A carb is a carb, and you just don't eat them on induction. I find that they sneak in everywhere so you get to 20 grams without even trying. Why the heck do they put carbs in a hotdog?! Anyway, I got a good ketosis response, although last night I totally "bonked" and became stupid for about 10 minutes during my martial arts class because my blood sugar dropped and my brain is re-learning how to use the ketones after 10 days of being bathed in glucose.

If you want info about PPLP, go to the Eades's website. I highly recommend getting the book, too. I think a lot of us read Atkins, PPLP, and Taubes sort of like textbooks, to gain a better and more well-rounded understanding, no matter what plan we follow. I think it's good because you may want to try a different plan to see if it suits you, especially as you get closer to goal/maintenance.

Anyway, a carb is a carb. I find that I need a few because I need to make sure I have muscle glycogen before I go out and train in a very physical sport. But on maintenance, I don't need more than about 40-45 grams of them per day, and never more than 10 at a sitting. It doesn't make me feel good.

Bottom line: pick the plan that gives you TRUE low carb eating, stick with it, and choose the one that you know you will stick to.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-11, 18:33

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

Is the 30-Day Low Carb solution part of PPLP? I loaned out my copy before I read it and can't remember to whom.
I am getting the 6 week cure. I hope I can make it on the shakes.