Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-12-11, 10:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145/130/120 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:no thanks!
Progress: 60%
Default Food allergies in my son...

I'm looking for some suggestions here. We've had some allergy testing done on my son (IgG blood test) and it's come back with some really challenging results.

His #1 allergy was to eggs. He also reacted to gluten, tree nuts and dairy. (try baking without gluten or eggs!!)

I can do the no gluten/tree nuts thing as I've dealt with these too. It's the rest... he's only 7 and I need ideas to send in his lunch for school!!!

We tend to stay away from a lot of soy too and since I don't want my kids eating sugar anyway, the soy yougurts are out. There is a ton of allergy free things on the market and some not too bad, but a lot of it is laden with sugar or honey (he reacted to honey too!)

I know kids can be picky eaters and mine certainly aren't excluded there! This just makes it all the more frustrating. I'm not willing to put him onto "induction" or anything, but even things in the Atkins maintenance won't work.

Any suggestions would be LOVELY!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-12-11, 15:14
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Coconut flour? Is coconut considered a tree nut? How about flax meal? Lots of time they use flax to replace eggs in recipes. Various gums (agar, xanthan, guar) replace gluten in recipes.

If you're looking for conventional sorts of high carb baking they use potato starch, tapicoa starch and such for gluten free baking. You can probably find forums and recipe exchanges for kids on the "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" (SCD) or "DAN" diets. Some of the SCD dieters avoid dairy too.

They're making yogurt from coconut milk these days too.

I can think of things like stews, soups and such if he can take a hot lunch to school. My Mom used to send those to school with me in a thermos. You might be able to figure out chicken nuggets using an alternative coating.

I think your best bet is to google. There's lots of kids out there with super restricted diets like that. There have to recipes...
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-12-11, 21:03

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by back to me
I'm looking for some suggestions here. We've had some allergy testing done on my son (IgG blood test) and it's come back with some really challenging results.

His #1 allergy was to eggs. He also reacted to gluten, tree nuts and dairy. (try baking without gluten or eggs!!)

I can do the no gluten/tree nuts thing as I've dealt with these too. It's the rest... he's only 7 and I need ideas to send in his lunch for school!!!

We tend to stay away from a lot of soy too and since I don't want my kids eating sugar anyway, the soy yougurts are out. There is a ton of allergy free things on the market and some not too bad, but a lot of it is laden with sugar or honey (he reacted to honey too!)

I know kids can be picky eaters and mine certainly aren't excluded there! This just makes it all the more frustrating. I'm not willing to put him onto "induction" or anything, but even things in the Atkins maintenance won't work.

Any suggestions would be LOVELY!!!

Baking without gluten is easy peasy using alternative flours (rice, coconut, chickpea, etc). As for the eggs and dairy, your best bet is to look for vegan recipes, of which there are millions, thankfully. I am allergic to dairy (anaphylaxis) and I can still eat Purity Farms certified casein free ghee (clarified butter). I subscribe to a useful magazine called Living Without that has recipes and recipe conversions for all of these allergens plus articles about navigating school, etc.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-12-11, 23:34

Plan: Primal-ish
Stats: 212/181/150 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hello there, I can understand how you feel. I have 2 sons with food allergies. The first, now 13, was allergic to soy, milk, egg and peanut, not just peanut, walnut, pecan and hazlenut (but with anaphylaxis). The second was allergic to milk, egg, soy, corn, wheat and kiwi. Now he tests allergic to peanut and milk, but does eat eggs. He has never had a bad reaction, just eczema and asthma. The 13yo has had 2 hospitalizations.

Anyway, check out FAAN to start with. There are so many resources out there now, many are free. I will answer any question I can, also .

Does your son need to lose some weight? How did you find out about his allergies?

Sounds like a paleo-type diet might work. A great resource is Primal Blueprint .

I wish you the best as you try to figure it all out.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-13-11, 12:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145/130/120 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:no thanks!
Progress: 60%

THANK YOU!!!! I will check out the sites you suggested!

He doesn't need to lose weight, but he's always congested (which tells me dairy, and he's been off it for 2 years), he was getting headaches which was also related to dairy. My youngest had bad eczema so we started seeing a naturopath who was very helpful (and not a quack like some think they are!)

My oldest reacted with really bad hives last November all over his torso - they were huge. The clinic doctor said it was something he ate, but who knows. So he gave us prednisone and sent us on our way (with an epi-pen "just in case")

I haven't been able to figure it out, or relax about things since, so we went for a blood test. Eggs was the number one reaction as was gluten.

While I don't see any outward effects from these things, it may be affecting behaviours and attitude. He's very bright and a great kid at school, but he seemed to get frustrated very easily and get angry about it. I've seen a difference in these behaviours since removing gluten and eggs.

I send him things like rolled up ham, brown rice crackers, fruit, veggies - but he gets bored of those and I need him to eat! He's not a big kid, if anything he needs to gain weight!

That got long! But thank you - I will let you know if I have any other questions!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by algts
Hello there, I can understand how you feel. I have 2 sons with food allergies. The first, now 13, was allergic to soy, milk, egg and peanut, not just peanut, walnut, pecan and hazlenut (but with anaphylaxis). The second was allergic to milk, egg, soy, corn, wheat and kiwi. Now he tests allergic to peanut and milk, but does eat eggs. He has never had a bad reaction, just eczema and asthma. The 13yo has had 2 hospitalizations.

Anyway, check out FAAN to start with. There are so many resources out there now, many are free. I will answer any question I can, also .

Does your son need to lose some weight? How did you find out about his allergies?

Sounds like a paleo-type diet might work. A great resource is Primal Blueprint .

I wish you the best as you try to figure it all out.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-13-11, 13:15

Plan: LC
Stats: 157/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 9%

The Allergy Self-Help Cookbook by Marjorie Hurt Jones may help with ideas.

Also The Feel Good Food Guide - Easy Recipes free of Sugar, Wheat, Yeast, Corn, Eggs, Dairy and Soy by Deborah Johnson

Last edited by lizzyLC : Fri, May-13-11 at 13:18. Reason: Addition