Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-10, 20:05

Plan: Less meat, more veg LC
Stats: 252/217/180 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 49%

well, I was trying to find a pic to post of DD, but I have a new pc and no pics transferred over yet. Then I remembered shutterfly--will see if I can put something in the avatar section.

F
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-10, 20:33

BF:

Pics can be seen here:
http://picsofthebean.blogspot.com/

All from this summer. Most recent is the one with the hat--maybe 3 weeks ago.

The skirt is a daily fashion must. She would sleep in it if I let her.

She has gained weight since these pics concurrently with a 1.5" increase in height.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-10, 20:37

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
My kids took ice skating that early - they had loads of fun. At least they don't have as far to fall . What kinds of treatment did she have for wheezing? It sounds like she's just been through alot. I wouldn't judge her activity levels now. Kids that age tire out easily and are not necessarily as physical as later.
I would also resist the temptation to provide food just because otherwise she won't eat. Hubby and I were super hardazzes about that and it has reaped dividends manifold, even though my mama's heart often wanted to cave. No, the kids don't like everything we give them, but they are not real picky and they eat stuff most other kids won't touch. Broccoli for dinner is a big deal in our house (lots of squealing) and their favorite right now is beef heart and steak tartare. It's really worth it to just get all that stuff out of the house - I truly believe any kid with access to wheat flour has the potential to become a very difficult eater. I don't know any kids who are gluten free who are picky.

Nebulizer. You know, I keep trying to cut her gluten and she just won't have it. I make delicious almond flax muffins, hers I have to add some flour too. It's kind of weird.

Maybe I will channel your hardazz-ness.

However, she doesn't get much flour based carbs at all.

I put broccoli in her meat sauce today (no pasta) and she was spitting it out.

Okay maybe it was a hair freezer burned, but I ate it!

F
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-10, 20:59

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I am touching the screen and chanting so you can channel my hardazzness!!! It's so worth it - it you are putting it extra in muffins only for her, that is an addiction, pure and simple. She will adjust. My oldest had to adjust around that age (we gave up all gluten) and it was fine after a few weeks. We have friends with kids who are LC and gluten free and those are the only kids my kids like to eat with because those kids also actually eat instead of whining. I am telling you, it's a beautiful thing. I always forget how it is for most families and then get really secretly annoyed when I'm around mac n' cheese kids.

I noticed you are a total badazz, too - running 400 steps! If you can do that, you can make this work in the kitchen. It might even make a difference if you just use rice flour instead or gluten-free crackers.

BTW, your daughter is completely adorable. She looks completely healthy and happy!
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-10, 10:36

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Yes, totally adorable. Oh the skirt takes me back! We have about 2 years of pictures with one DD's Care Bears skirt. The entire extended family still laughs about it. She wore it constantly and pronounced it "cawe beaws"

I totally agree with jschwab on what you offer from the kitchen.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-10, 14:12

BF:

Thanks. I know she's a chunk but she seems proportional to me, big all over

She ate one of my sugar free gluten free chocolate muffins today so that was new.

Pretty LC for her today

SF almond-flax muffin with dark chocolate
full fat yogurt
kefir
Kiwi
lightly breaded chicken
cottage cheese

RE: Steps, I like running steps for some reason. 400 was maybe a lot to start with but there was a storm coming. I did the steps, we went home, the weather cleared, so I went running too. Nice workout overall.

Oddly dd is going to PT b/c she can't climb steps, at least not on her left side.

F
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-10, 15:41

Plan: general low carb/my way
Stats: 195/180/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 30%

she is adorable. quick question. what med is used in her nebulizer? just asking because some of them are used to control asthma and are a steroid..could explain a little of her "chunk"... Personally I think she is fine..she is a baby...as long as you are feeding her healthy there is nothing wrong with a little chubby baby...she will eventually even out.

cheers
Lynn
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Aug-07-10, 17:49

Plan: LC gut healing
Stats: 302/285/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Irrelevant
Progress: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmogirl
she is adorable. quick question. what med is used in her nebulizer? just asking because some of them are used to control asthma and are a steroid..could explain a little of her "chunk"... Personally I think she is fine..she is a baby...as long as you are feeding her healthy there is nothing wrong with a little chubby baby...she will eventually even out.

What she said.

Your dd is adorable. IMO (my kids are 12, 14 & 16) I wouldn't worry that your dd is eating enough. If a kid is hungry, they'll eat. I would offer low carb (read "what you want her eating") offerings. If you do offer a carby sauce, I would only allow one portion - make it last girlie.

Dr. Stunkard has shown that BMI is mostly genetic.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.105...198601233140401

Quote:
...We examined the contributions of genetic factors and the family environment to human fatness in a sample of 540 adult Danish adoptees who were selected from a population of 3580 and divided into four weight classes: thin, median weight, overweight, and obese. There was a strong relation between the weight class of the adoptees and the body-mass index of their biologic parents — for the mothers, P<0.0001; for the fathers, P<0.02. There was no relation between the weight class of the adoptees and the body-mass index of their adoptive parents. Cumulative distributions of the body-mass index of parents showed similar results; there was a strong relation between the body-mass index of biologic parents and adoptee weight class and no relation between the index of adoptive parents and adoptee weight class. Furthermore, the relation between biologic parents and adoptees was not confined to the obesity weight class, but was present across the whole range of body fatness — from very thin to very fat. We conclude that genetic influences have an important role in determining human fatness in adults, whereas the family environment alone has no apparent effect.

http://pn.psychiatryonline.org/content/42/12/14.1.full

Quote:
...Data from the large Swedish twin registry affirmed and extended the importance of genetics by showing that identical twins reared apart have a BMI as adults that is the same as that of twins raised together. Stunkard and colleagues reported these findings in the May 24, 1990, New England Journal of Medicine...

Feed your dd well and don't worry about what she weighs.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-10, 16:41

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmogirl

cheers
Lynn

Sorry missed this post. It's just albuterol. But I did take steroids in the second trimester of my pregnancy and my aunt who is an RN on L&D says they are finding that steroids can impact weight later on.

F
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-10, 16:43

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRuth
What she said.

Your dd is adorable. IMO (my kids are 12, 14 & 16) I wouldn't worry that your dd is eating enough. If a kid is hungry, they'll eat. I would offer low carb (read "what you want her eating") offerings. If you do offer a carby sauce, I would only allow one portion - make it last girlie.

Dr. Stunkard has shown that BMI is mostly genetic.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.105...198601233140401

http://pn.psychiatryonline.org/content/42/12/14.1.full

Feed your dd well and don't worry about what she weighs.

Thanks for the post! We are upping her activity now that she is in physical therapy and she's becoming more active as we address the problem with her legs.

But I agree a lot of this is genetic and she won't be able to address it until she's older and can be more flexible in what she eats as well as exercise. I know I ran 15-20lbs overweight all through my childhood BUT I grew into it by the time I was 18. So I hope that is all it is.

It's just hard because the docs give you such a hard time about it.

F