Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-20-10, 16:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 149.6/143/130 Female 170cm
BF:Stats not updated
Progress: 34%
Default IVF hormones and weight gain

I need advice and information.
I have been cycling for #2 5 unsuccessful times. The last 2 cycles have been short protocols and the weight gain has been dramatic. I jumped 3 dress sizes in less than a week! After each failed cycle I do my utmost to lose the weight gained but I have not been able to lose all of it before starting the following cycle and it is starting to add up.
I have been on Atkins for 5 year, successfully reached my goal weight before getting pg (IVF #4) with DD and reached my goal weight once more while bfing 4 months pp.
Now I am spiraling up-wards, I feel out of control. Can anyone explain the connection between hormones and weight gain? This time I took count and noted that I did not eat more than usual, I did not have cravings (Lupron can give me cravings for chocolate on long protocols) and I did not go off of LC in any way. It is definitely the hormones. I don't think it is water retention, as the nurse says, since you'd expect to lose the water soon after stopping the meds.
Do you have any advice on losing quickly before starting my next cycle in a month? I now have 15 lbs to lose to get back to my goal pre-IVF weight.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-23-10, 12:16

Stats: 228/156/140 Female 66 inches
BF:22%
Progress: 82%

yes those meds DO make you gain weight. I went in to clinic at around 175ish.. after meds I was 190.. by end of pregnancy I was 245..
I am now trying to get my weight down again to do a FET cycle..

Maybe stay under 20 carbs a day and see if that works? Other then that no advise. Sorry.. I still need to lose more too before our cycle.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-23-10, 14:01

I am going to try relay hard this time, I don't think my goal is achievable. I have less than a month till the next cycle to lose all of this weight. I was hoping for any information or insight on the why and how hormones cause w/g. Good luck on your cycle, Candiflip, when will you be cycling? Do you see a difference with different protocols?
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-23-10, 17:13

Stats: 228/156/140 Female 66 inches
BF:22%
Progress: 82%

first cycle of was IFV, this next one will be FET(frozen emborys we have..) so they are different. It would be our last try, would never be able to afford a fresh cycle again. Probably Sept or Oct.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-24-10, 16:08

Default hoping for your successful FET

That is so sad, only the rich or properly insured can have kids if they are IF in the States. I am glad that here we are insured with national health insurance that subsidizes the first 2 kids. I do see other nationalities being treated in my clinic. The staff told me it was cheaper for them to travel here and do it here! I had 2 unsuccessful FETs. The fist 2 embryos did not survive the thaw. and the third did not implant. It is an easier cycle hormonally.

As for the weight, I lost about 2 lbs so far, I don't know how much of that was fat and how much was water. I talked to a nurse and asked her if she thought a mild diuretic like parsley would be good. She said it might help so I've been eating parsley, I like it and it is good for induction.

Hoping for the best of luck on your FET! You will be in my prayers, keep posting on your progress.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-27-10, 11:49

Question Nothing lost after a week of induction and off of meds!

Nothing lost after a week of induction and off of meds for more then 2 weeks. This is defiantly not a carb problem, nor is it the meds. Something has been altered. I have been reading a bit about the adrenal gland and such. I see that a fair amount of people have read this thread without commenting does anyone think I should re-post on the "research and media". I would like information and advice before the beginning of my next cycle when I am sure to gain even more.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-10, 16:06

Plan: Less meat, more veg LC
Stats: 252/217/180 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 49%

I was doing 20g carbs during my cycle and had no problem maintaining weight. I bloated and had OHSS, but no real weight gain until the pregnancy kicked in.

So I would severely cut carbs.

If you do think there's an adrenal problem, see if your clinic will test if for you. REs tend to be better than other Endos in my experience. Haven't been impressed with regular endos.

F
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-10, 13:32

I don't think there's an adrenal problem, it only happened on the short protocol cycles. (I just did 3). Now I am back to a long protocol, so I will see if I gain this time. Unfortunately, I lost 1.5 kg after the last cycle, and just gained it all back, but I think most of it is pre-af bloating.