Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#1756   ^
Old Sat, Feb-17-18, 06:35
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%
Default Day 66 of 90

The mission: Deep ketogenic eating everyday
The rules: Eat less than 20 net carbs per day and less than 15 net carbs at any one meal.
Other parameters: I will give myself up to 5 passes/exceptions throughout the 90 day period, but they cannot be used on consecutive days. These are not free-for-all days, but an allowance to take into account that perfection is not required.

Passes used: 5 of 5

Yesterday: Another good day.
Sponsored Links
  #1757   ^
Old Sun, Feb-18-18, 04:47
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Day 19

1. Activity: nope X
2. Weigh-in: done
3. Supps: done
4. Food: on plan
  #1758   ^
Old Sun, Feb-18-18, 05:36

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Day 48
0 missed
Total misses 16 (out of 240 possible)

1. twice a day meditation
2. At least 10,000 steps a day either indoors, outdoors or a combo
3. <25 net grams of carbs per day, 2 meals, no eating after 6PM
4. In bed by 10PM
  #1759   ^
Old Sun, Feb-18-18, 08:19
Say NO to Diabetes!

Default Day 67 of 90

The rules: Eat less than 20 net carbs per day and less than 15 net carbs at any one meal.
Other parameters: I will give myself up to 5 passes/exceptions throughout the 90 day period, but they cannot be used on consecutive days. These are not free-for-all days, but an allowance to take into account that perfection is not required.

Yesterday: 9 net carbs
  #1760   ^
Old Sun, Feb-18-18, 11:42

Plan: Suzanne Somers; LC
Stats: 182.5/158/105 Female 5'
BF:Melting!
Progress: 32%
Default day 5 of 5 this week

goal: 15 min of creative writing, research or extracting writing from journal notes 5 days a week for my project/s.

15 min spent on notes from a dream I had for project one, and more researching names for project 2.
  #1761   ^
Old Mon, Feb-19-18, 03:30

BF:

Day 49
0 missed
Total misses 16 (out of 245 possible)

4. In bed by 10PM
  #1762   ^
Old Mon, Feb-19-18, 04:53
Forum Moderator

BF:

Day 20

1. Activity: done
4. Food: on plan

It took a solid seven days for that flare-up in my back to go away. I'll be considering that the next time it seems acceptable to binge on an entire bag of corn snacks.

Last edited by Kristine : Tue, Feb-20-18 at 04:13.
  #1763   ^
Old Mon, Feb-19-18, 08:32
Say NO to Diabetes!

Default Day 68 of 90

Yesterday: 10 net carbs - 10K jog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
It took a solid seven days for that flare-up in my back to go away. I'll be considering that the next time it seems acceptable to binge on an entire bag of corn snacks.

Last summer I decided that it would be OK for me to go back to having the occasional LC wrap. I had used them early on in my diet and it was nice to be able to have a breakfast burrito or wrap burger every once in a while. However, a few months into my WOE I decided to go 'wheat free' as much as possible. So I gave up the wraps and I hadn't had one in over 2 years. No sooner had I started eating them again when back and neck pain resurfaced. It was too coincidental. After just a couple experiments with those wraps, that was it. I went back to being wheat free. The pain soon disappeared. I am not a celiac, but I definitely have some sort of an issue with wheat. In the old days I used to have wheat at virtually every meal. I had no idea that my decades of back and neck pain may have simply been a result of having wheat in my diet. Who knew?

Last edited by Kristine : Tue, Feb-20-18 at 04:14.
  #1764   ^
Old Mon, Feb-19-18, 16:26

Plan: Suzanne Somers; LC
Stats: 182.5/158/105 Female 5'
BF:Melting!
Progress: 32%
Default Day 1 of 5 this week

goal: 15 min of creative writing, research or extracting writing from journal notes 5 days a week for my project/s.

20 min writing and a tad of research today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
...I went back to being wheat free. The pain soon disappeared. I am not a celiac, but I definitely have some sort of an issue with wheat...

Ken and Kristine: I got off wheat/most grains as well - went thru a nasty withdrawal from them - and when I do something off plan I am reminded of why I stopped eating them also - joint pain returns with a vengeance... I am not celiac either but agreed, there is a problem there.

Last edited by mviesprite : Mon, Feb-19-18 at 16:33.
  #1765   ^
Old Tue, Feb-20-18, 04:38
Forum Moderator

BF:

Ken and Mvie, that's my experience with wheat, too. Before the arthritis in my back, it was in my fingers. Same experience as you when I accidentally gluten myself. The arthritis comes back, plus embarrassing gut issues. Let's just say you don't want to be around me. I also noticed diminished depression and mood swings after going GF. In fact, it was going back through an online journal and noticing serious meltdowns that coincided with indulging in pizza and beer.

I'm not convinced that a lot of us like this don't have celiac disease. The diagnostic criteria for it are pretty silly to me: basically, if your gut isn't destroyed yet, you don't have it. You also can't test positive on the blood test if you're already eating GF. So how are we supposed to really know? I certainly don't want to go for the testing, since it involves eating wheat again for a minimum of 4 weeks, then the blood test, then a biopsy if positive.

/rant

Anyhoo.

Day 21

1. Activity: done
4. Food: on plan during the day, pass used at dinner. X

DH wanted pizza. The pizza place's GF crust is really good, though not LC. It's flax seed based but with rice flour, too. This is the kind of thing I intended on using the passes for, so no more impulsive junk at work that doesn't even really taste good.
  #1766   ^
Old Tue, Feb-20-18, 06:34

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
I'm not convinced that a lot of us like this don't have celiac disease. The diagnostic criteria for it are pretty silly to me: basically, if your gut isn't destroyed yet, you don't have it. You also can't test positive on the blood test if you're already eating GF. So how are we supposed to really know? I certainly don't want to go for the testing, since it involves eating wheat again for a minimum of 4 weeks, then the blood test, then a biopsy if positive.

The blood tests for celiac are notoriously insensitive. Also you don't have to have celiac to be sensitive to gluten. Non-celiac gluten sensitivity is a real condition and many of us have it. https://celiac.org/celiac-disease/u...-sensitivity-2/ Because of my severe gastro-intestinal problems that left me housebound (along with a host of other stuff like arthritis and depression) I had testing done through Enterolab which uses stool testing for antibodies to various foods rather than blood testing. It is much more sensitive but unrecognized by most conventional doctors. I came back sensitive to gluten (along with dairy, soy and eggs). I cut all those out and my symptoms went away. I now can leave the house without worry. That's proof enough for me that I need to avoid these foods, which I do, scrupulously. I never want to go back to being sick and unable to leave my house.

Jean
  #1767   ^
Old Tue, Feb-20-18, 06:36

BF:

Day 50
1 missed no eating after 6
1 missed in bed by 10
Total misses 18 (out of 250 possible)

4. In bed by 10PM
  #1768   ^
Old Tue, Feb-20-18, 07:31

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
The blood tests for celiac are notoriously insensitive. Also you don't have to have celiac to be sensitive to gluten. Non-celiac gluten sensitivity is a real condition and many of us have it. https://celiac.org/celiac-disease/u...-sensitivity-2/ Because of my severe gastro-intestinal problems that left me housebound (along with a host of other stuff like arthritis and depression) I had testing done through Enterolab which uses stool testing for antibodies to various foods rather than blood testing. It is much more sensitive but unrecognized by most conventional doctors. I came back sensitive to gluten (along with dairy, soy and eggs). I cut all those out and my symptoms went away. I now can leave the house without worry. That's proof enough for me that I need to avoid these foods, which I do, scrupulously. I never want to go back to being sick and unable to leave my house.

Jean

Good feedback Jean, thank you! It would be interesting for me to have that test done on myself.
  #1769   ^
Old Tue, Feb-20-18, 07:51

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%
Default 17/90

Feb 2 start date.

3 goofs used
My 90 day challenge: Only LC sanctioned pizza, no other.
Goof ups allowed: 3, but not more than 2 pcs.

zero goofs left.

Would like to add on: 1 T flax every morning. 10 misses allowed.
10 misses left
  #1770   ^
Old Tue, Feb-20-18, 09:13
Say NO to Diabetes!

Default Day 69 of 90

Yesterday: 17 net carbs

Thanks for the link, Jean. Good stuff. I found this part particularly interesting as it seems to coincide with my own experience.

Quote:
At this point, research has not confirmed that gluten is the culprit triggering the immune reaction as is the case with celiac disease. According to head researcher of the study, Dr. Armin Alaedini, “there is some ambiguity there, which is why we are referring to it as non-celiac wheat sensitivity for now.”

https://celiac.org/celiac-disease/u...-sensitivity-2/

I said above that I was "wheat free as much as possible" for over 2 years. Well, that's not entirely true. Technically I wasn't eating wheat. I did, however, occasionally consume a component of wheat in my diet. Namely, the very component that is the buzz word for why people avoid wheat in the first place... gluten. In the first months of this WOE I was trying out a lot of recipes to try to find LC substitutes for old carby favs that I could no longer eat. The best pancake recipe that I came across was mostly mozzarella, cream cheese, and eggs -- but it did call for a 1/4c of vital wheat gluten. As it turned out my family likes those pancakes better than the flour based kind. They insist that I make a batch once a month (or thereabouts). I usually make a double batch as they refrigerate well (up to a week) and make for a quick breakfast.

I must admit that when I make these pancakes for my family I usually indulged in them myself, sometimes as my breakfast for 2 or 3 days in a row. But I also have to say that I don't appear to have any adverse reaction to those decidedly NOT gluten free pancakes. Perhaps it was a dose thing. Wraps may have a lot more gluten in them than my serving of 2 or 3 LC pancakes. IDK. What I do know is that I have no apparent problems with them as an occasional entrée in my WOE.

After discovering this recipe and finding that my family liked it so much the idea of putting a scoop of poison (to a celiac) into our breakfast did concern me. After all - gluten is the "boogie man" component of wheat and the namesake of why people avoid the nasty grain. So I did some searching about the topic online. I ran across a well written article that indicated there are other proteins in wheat that the body does not process well. Some of these proteins are new to us in their current form - brought about by cross breeding various types of wheat for a better yield. The wheat of today is not the wheat of old. In a nutshell, that article concluded that to a non-celiac who has issues with wheat... gluten may get the blame, but in reality the health issues could actually be a result of other components of wheat.

That gluten research I did was a long time ago and I did not keep the link to that article. So I can't back up what I just said with supporting documentation. So this is purely FYI. YMMV. Take it for what it is worth.

Last edited by khrussva : Wed, Feb-21-18 at 08:43.
Closed Thread