Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-01, 19:56

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

It's 2 oz of cream cheese and it makes enough for one person. Nuke it in a microwave safe dish e.g. tupperware.

N
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-01, 07:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default Mock Danish becomes Pancakes

I tried this for breakfast it was really yummy:

Basic Mock Danish Recipe-Cinnamon
crushed porkrinds
mix together
fry like like little pancakes-I made a double portion
place on plate with butter and Atkins maple syrup

MMMMMMMmmmmmm!!!Gooood!
  #93   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-02, 17:07

Plan: none right now
Stats: // Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default what is quark?

What is quark you guys?
My only association with the term is a short greedy guy on ST: DS9.
(Another secret treknut here...)
PJ

Last edited by PJ in Miam : Sat, Jan-05-02 at 17:43.
  #94   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-02, 17:32

Stats: 215/152/135
BF:
Progress:
Default mock danish

Mmmmmmm..... mmmmm...... good! I'm almost sorry that I tried this one! I think I'm addicted and I've only had one! I added hazelnut sugar free syrup instead of the lemon.

Thanks!
  #95   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-02, 22:38

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

We need a "hall of fame posts" category for this one...who'd a thought that some wierd mixture that makes your microwave smell so bad could elicit so much passion?

Mock danish addicts unite!

Lisa
  #96   ^
Old Sun, Jan-06-02, 10:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Protien power
Stats: 164/149/130
BF:
Progress: 44%
Talking So versatile

This dish has so many possibilities. I have tried so many versions that it is never boring. It has all the things a dish needs to be. Tastey, easy to make, can be made in a microwave. You can add meat, veggies to make a dinner type dish. Spices & syrups to make a breakfast or dessert.
This truly belongs in the famous catagory!!
  #97   ^
Old Sun, Jan-06-02, 11:46
Pending Member

Stats: 215/145/120
BF:
Progress: 74%
Thumbs up Sinfully good

Thanks Natruskha for the recipe. It was so goooood!
  #98   ^
Old Sun, Jan-06-02, 20:25

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 209.9/206.6/140 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default Gotta go check the fridge...

I'm hoping I have all the ingredients necessary for this one....I bought three bricks of cream cheese today, but I used them for bushong6's pumpkin dessert - another awesome sweet if you are so inclined!

I'm thinking breakfast will be something different tomorrow!

Nat - love the new picture - you look awesome!

Mindy
  #99   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-02, 01:13

Plan: none right now
Stats: // Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 17%
Lightbulb Holy Moly!

Ah, the pretty Natrushka, I gotta tell you what happened with my bright idea for your 'mock danish'!

I was thinking about all the protein I had NOT had today that I should have, and it was too late for a meal. I wondered what would happen if I used a scoop of my new protein powder (Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Vanilla Ice Cream flavor which smells downright yummy) in the mix for your mock danish. I decided that since it might be strong (I didn't know) I'd double the recipe. So I tried:

1scoop OptN VIC PrPowder,
2 eggs,
4oz cream cheese,
2pkt splenda,
3caps orange extract,
some cinnamon.
Nuke 4mins.

I put this in a kinda deep round soft-plastic bowl, every spring/summer they sell these at super walmart for picnics and kids. It poofed up to about 3.5-4" high... and stayed there, and stayed round.

I let it cool and took it out. Poked at it with a fork. It was so... so... SOLID! After eating some of it, I got to peeking 'inside' it, lots of hollow spaces like air bubbles.

I bet if I'd oven baked it in something, it would have been even more solid-seeming.

First the BAD news: It was the most bland thing I have ever eaten. Bizarrely, it didn't taste orange, or eggs, or the protein powder -- it was sort of weirdly "undecided" about what it should taste like. I wasn't real fond of it, but I didn't dislike it either, it was just too bland to even register an opinion except that eating it was boring!

And then I thought -- BREAD! I MADE BREAD! BRRREEEEEAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!

I could just slice this up and put a tuna-mayo mix on it! Or my garlic-cheese mix! Or...

I stuck the rest in a ziploc, and I'll try that tomorrow morning.

And now, I have a solution for the fact that I've got all kinds of yummy spreads for bread, including meat-stuffs -- but darn it all, no bread, and the LC stuff I see looks pretty icky.

Thank you!!!

Now to work on arranging an actual TASTE for it...

[editing this:]

The Accidental Bread

Following the above, Nat, here's a breakdown and thoughts --

egg 2 'large' each have 0.61carb 74.5cal 6.24prot 5fat S:1.55 P:0.68 M:1.9
cream cheese 4oz each 1oz has: 1carb 2prot 100cal 10fat
optimum nutrition protein powder 1scoop vanilla ice cream flavor carbs 2 prot 22 cal 110 fat 1.5
using a plastic bowl of some kind, something ~4"x4" and at least 4-5 inches high on the sides would be great
microwaving for 4 minutes

something else is needed here -- for flavor. It had none worth eating. It wasn't openly 'bad' (I've had some atkins stuff I think tastes pretty bad!) -- but I didn't really wanna eat it plain, either -- it'll just take some experimenting to find some spices or something that make it yummy.

carbs: 8.42
protein: 42.48
cal: 659
fat: 51.5

Depending on width of bowl, if it's reasonably small but high (normal bread-size for example, round or square ) this cooks up high and solid. Cut into 5 slices (it could make a few more if they were really thin) this would be per slice:

carbs: 1.684
protein: 8.496
cal: 131.8
fat: 10.3

Which is really not bad at all for having some bread you can pile high with sandwich toppings... and a heck of a lot of protein for 'bread' no less... I'm wondering what it would be like with some potassium salt (I think it didn't want to be sweet like I tried to make it), some parmesan, some minced pepperoni, some oregano and red pepper flakes. Next time, I'll try that. PIZZA BREAD! It could happen!

I'm going to happily eat it as bread tomorrow regardless, with sandwich stuff on top. It doesn't have enough of a taste either way to interfere with anything I might want to put on top of it. I credit the type of protein powder for this, though. I'm sure atkins shake or bake mix, which I've been using until tonight, would be a pretty hideous result.

I'd appreciate any suggestions for adding tastiness, because the protein powder killed all the yummy taste -- again, it doesn't taste BAD, it just tastes BLAND, it needs something, anything. Every good 'bread' spice I think of -- Rye, caraway -- is a seed! Grains, oh no!

PJ

Last edited by PJ in Miam : Mon, Jan-07-02 at 02:01.
  #100   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-02, 12:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Default finally started playing with this....

... it's just so much FUN

My variation (and tastebuds) ended up with:
Ginger Lemon Mock Thingie
1 large veggie-fed freerange egg beaten
2 oz cream cheese - spreadable (Winnipeg or Victoria style, for those interested, Canada-specific)
5 'squirts' pure ginger extract (new product from Health Food Store)
1/4 teaspoon pure lemon oil
10 drops liquid sodium cyclamate (Sucaryl) sweetener
10 drops liquid sodium saccharin (SuperRose) sweetener

This was soft and moist, more like a quiche without the chunks, but what a lovely taste and creamy texture!
  #101   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-02, 13:04

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Default Re: Holy Moly!

Quote:
Originally posted by PJ in Miam
I'd appreciate any suggestions for adding tastiness, because the protein powder killed all the yummy taste -- again, it doesn't taste BAD, it just tastes BLAND, it needs something, anything. Every good 'bread' spice I think of -- Rye, caraway -- is a seed! Grains, oh no! PJ

PJ, I can't help you with the bread idea - but kudos on ingenuity I do know that for the actual recipe as written if you cook it longer than listed it goes get very dry and "blah" - it is supposed to be almost "not cooked" looking in the centre. I prefer the version with the cinamom - it really does taste like french toast.

I must admit it never occured to me to try it with protein powder - I tend to get enough protein from my 6 daily meals - I use this recipe as the odd treat (when calories and fat are too low and on my Free day when I don't have to schedule in so much food)

Please let me know if you manage to find a happy medium (or median ) a Protein Mock Danish would be most welcome!

Nat
  #102   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-02, 14:15
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Quote:
I'd appreciate any suggestions for adding tastiness, because the protein powder killed all the yummy taste -- again, it doesn't taste BAD, it just tastes BLAND, it needs something, anything. Every good 'bread' spice I think of -- Rye, caraway -- is a seed! Grains, oh no!

PJ, grains are different from seeds. You don't have to worry about them in the same way. What about salt? It works wonders for blandness. Ground flax seed for texture? It sounds like it would make a great cheese "bread" with some sharp cheddar mixed in.

Karen
  #103   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-02, 17:26
Pending Member

BF:
Thumbs up mock danish

Nat,
Just wanted you to know that other lo carb are raving over your recipe on the other boards. I am waiting to have my for a treat the day after induction in four days
Have a great lo carb evening.
  #104   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-02, 20:45

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default ok, i'm hooked!!

I made two of these tonight, one for Dan and one for myself. I took the original recipe and left out the lemon and when it came out of the microwave, I put a pat of butter on top and sprinkled cinnamon on top too. I LOVE IT!!!! I have a feeling I am already addicted. I am going to try the cocoa tomorrow and once I buy my syrups, I am going to try them too!

Great recipe!
Linda
  #105   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-02, 05:41
Pending Member

BF:

Linda,
I can't wait to try it. I have 2 days to go until I finsh induction and that will be my rewards. I can't wait.
Have a great low carb day.