Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-06, 12:27

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 185/184/150 Female 5ft4in
BF:
Progress: 3%

well..if you are truly having a conversion problem and are hypo..that would explain why you are not able to lose. I've been working at this now for 5 1/2 years..sometimes successful..sometimes not..and it does track w/my TSH level (last time I was tested, I'm slightly hyper w/TSH=0.2). If you want results from Dr. and get him to prescribe, you do need to find one that will see you based on symptoms. You'll need to describe EVERYTHING you feel, tired, cold, depressed, etc...coupled w/a higher TSH should get you treatment w/the right doctor. At the least, you should have your numbers run again in a month or two, and if it's trending upwards, get help soon. My plateaued AFTER starting treatment, and I went through huge weight gain and serious depression and fatigue for almost a year, as I was dosed up in 12 milligram increments; 100mg FINALLY made a difference..that took TOO long to get to!.

good luck!!! I'm here for you if I can help.

Last edited by way2goal : Sat, Jan-28-06 at 16:19.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-06, 16:24
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Holly, are you basing your thyroid health on just your TSH value? God, if I had to go by TSH and Free levels I'd have been considered "hyper" 2.5 grains ago while still exhibiting hypo symtoms.

Have you thought about forgetting about lab values and just increasing until you feel well? I had to go hyper, then cut back before finding what the level was for me.
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-06, 18:12

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 319/195/175 Female 177
BF:
Progress: 86%

Holly, mine increased by 25mcg, until I was at 75, but that didn't do any good, so I increased it to 100 where I was good for a number of months. Given the really cold weather in the UK at the mo, I've had to do a further increase by cutting a 25mcg tablet in half, which has really helped.
Go by what you feel. Ignore the numbers. I still have to tell my doc I've increased my dose! I may not and just continue until I find a new doc in Australia who I can come clean with.

I'm hoping when I move to Australia I can cut my meds down because of the warmth.

I'm also looking into vitamin D supplementation at the moment. There's an experiment running on the board if you look, and hypos are recommended to try it. I'm starting next week.
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 12:55

BF:
Default resurrecting this post!!!

ok...ANOTHER Update; now been working out 6x a week for almost 12 weeks; I've lost a few inches (2-3) and only 4 lbs. Been doing phase 1 SBD...but I do cheat (w/a bite here and there)...but am I DESTINED to never let a bite of a cookie or 1/2 of a roll pass my lips again??

I KNOW low carb is a way of eating/way of life, but am I ONLY allowed to ever have veggie-carbs for the rest of my life? I did up my meds (myself...felt guilty...but) to 2 grains amour + 50ug synthroid... no heart palpitations...not sure if I should up it 1/2 grain more. The issue is when I get tested by Dr....she thinks I"m only taking 1 1/2grain....

Is there anyone who's having more luck than I? I'm doing less cardio than I was, now lifting more, here's how I work out generally:

typically per day:
cardio 20-30,min, either running on treadmill, elliptical, or the kick a$$ stairclimber machine
weightsusually 3 sets of 12 each, doing 2-3 different exercises/body part), I"ll do chest, back, biceps,triceps one day legs (smith, reclined press, ab/adductor, squats) another day, and other days ab machines!!

I do take a cardio class usually 1-2x per week, and I play tennis (drills for 2 hrs on mondays, matches some Saturdays)

ANY advice is appreciated!!!!

Last edited by way2goal : Wed, Mar-15-06 at 13:01.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 13:21
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

All I can say is that I hear the story of women who do too much cardio who can't drop weight over and over again. I think it is just another way to get your body into conservation mode.

But it is great you're losing inches!
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 14:54

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 145/131/128 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 82%

Article about taking Armour twice a day instead of once:

"Armour Thyroid Dosing -- TWICE a day.

The most common starting dose for patients with hypothyroidism is Armour thyroid, 90 mg which is cut in half with a razor blade and half is ideally taken twice a day, 10 to 20 minutes before breakfast and dinner. If you have trouble remember taking them, then take the entire dose before breakfast. It is also ideal to chew the tablet before swallowing. Taking it after meals also helps to reduce volatility of the blood-level of T3. If the patient has any problem breaking or cutting the pill, they should purchase a pill-cutter at the pharmacy. The TSH, Free T3 and Free T4 are then repeated in one month and the dose is adjusted.

Taking the Armour thyroid twice a day overcomes traditional medicine's major objection and resistance to using natural thyroid preparations - its variability in its blood-levels. Most doctors using Armour thyroid are not aware that Armour thyroid should be used twice daily and NOT once a day. The major reason is that the T3 component has such a short half life and needs to be taken twice daily to achieve consistent blood levels."

Thought it might be an interesting read for you. It's at: http://www.mercola.com/article/hypo...d/treatment.htm
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 15:08

BF:

thanks, Bladegem. I had heard of this, and actually had started to do just this last Fall, but my new teaching job left me so busy and stressed, that I forgot to take my 2nd dose after school most days. I think I"ll try it again, as I"m more under control...

I had also read about taking it sublingually (allowing to dissolve between cheek and gum)..but I'm impatient to wait the 15min or so for it to do this. I may try this again. (Mercola recommends chewing...ewww..but I may try!!)
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Mar-16-06, 17:15
Mad Scientist

BF:

Quote:
I did up my meds (myself...felt guilty...but) to 2 grains amour + 50ug synthroid... no heart palpitations...not sure if I should up it 1/2 grain more. The issue is when I get tested by Dr....she thinks I"m only taking 1 1/2grain....

Holly, what about a visit to your doctor and telling her you need an increase? Did she say that you were optimized at 1.5 grains?
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Mar-17-06, 16:46

BF:

At my current 1.5 grains, my numbers all indicated hyper, w/TSH below 0.8, and free T3/free T4 numbers well within range. My Doc is cool, as most others would probalby cut back on Armour..but she said as long as I don't display hyper symptoms, she'd let me stay on it. I'm currently taking 2...tried 3 two nights this week..and felt more jittery; will try 2.5.
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Mar-19-06, 12:11
Mad Scientist

BF:

Dr. Wedda really said that you were hyper with normal FT3 and FT4? I didn't think she was a TSH worshipper. *confused*

A 1 grain increase is too much. I increased 1/4 grain at a time when I needed to fine tune.