Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 10:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 275/242/220
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default Questions about cheating

I have been on Atkins now since 3/3. It has worked well for me with a little glitch. I lost 29 pounds in the first 26 days. I stayed on induction for all 26 (with absolutely no cheating, not even once) because I knew I was 'going off' for a few after that. After the 26 days my old basketball team got togehter for our annual alumni tourney so I cheated. I went out for dinner Friday night (Batter fried fish and fries), then had hot dogs and fries Saturday afternoon and pizza for dinner and finally more fish, fries and a sundae on Sunday. As well as a lot of beer on Saturday. We also played 5 games of basketball (us old guys made it to the championship but lost) and a lot of shooting around, walking and then dancing saturday night and golf Sunday. I stayed very active. More so than usual.
So I weighed in on Monday morning and had gained 9 pounds back in less than 60 hours. I knew the cheating would hurt but I figured with the exercise I might limit it but wow, 9 pounds was a bummer. I went back on induction and lost the 9 plus 3 more in the next 8 days but all this up and down can't be good.
OK, now that you are all bored here are my questions. Is this gain when I cheat to be expected? Will I just start to inflate back to where I was as soon as I quit Atkins? Are there 'better or worse' things to cheat with or is cheating bad nomatter what? (or is that always different from person to person) I have considered a low fat WOE after I reach my goal weight. It seems to offer more selections than just meat and cheese but if I do that will I still put it all back on anyway? And finally, I think I know this answer but, I plan to cheat again on Easter, going to grandmas and I'll be eating there! Can I expect another 9 or 10 pound gain?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 10:37

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 134/132/127
BF:don't wanna know
Progress: 29%

You could easily have gained a pound or two in that time, but no way did you gain nine pounds of fat. Not physically possible. I'm sure the majority of it was water weight, so don't worry too much. So now that you're back on the up and up and being good once again, I sure hope you had fun with the pizza and ice cream sundae! Sounds like it!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 10:51
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

Some cheat, huh?
Carbs are retaining lots of water in our bodies, that is why we lose weight so rapidly in the first days of induction. You have put on lots of water and if you go back to the plan the water will be gone, BUT....it's not good a t all to put your body in such a shock time after time. Every time it will be harder to "go back".
Good luck!
Alina
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 11:30

Plan: Restart 8/6/18 - 75/20/5
Stats: 196/155.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:Die MF!
Progress: 62%

Pete, honey, that was some wicked cheat.

I have to ditto what Alina said. Every time you cheat, it will get harder to return to this WOE and, what may be worse, it will be harder to lose the weight.

As for the idea of moving to a low fat lifestyle after achieving your goal weight, all I have to say is.......

"dinner Friday night (Batter fried fish and fries), then had hot dogs and fries Saturday afternoon and pizza for dinner and finally more fish, fries and a sundae on Sunday. As well as a lot of beer on Saturday."

Need I say more?

Jones
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 11:46
The evolution of me

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Alina is correct - eating carbs makes our bodies retain lots of water. I know one high carb meal for me adds 3-4lbs the next day and 2-3 days to flush them.

This is normal.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 12:42

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

Pizza, fried fish & chips, and hotdogs - high sodium too, no?

You don't believe in starting out small, do ya WENT FOR THE GUSTO!, Indeed!