Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Sep-17-09, 17:08
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I've ordered them from netrition.com too in the past.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Sep-17-09, 18:32

Plan: my own
Stats: 225/208/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 19%

BTW, Costplus WorldMarkets has oodles of the diet syrups - thanks for that tip Nancy! I got more flavors than I need (although I still need pineapple).

Now to figure out how to best utilize the Almond Roca flavor in a shake
mmmmmm
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Sep-17-09, 18:43
Experimenter

BF:

Truthfully I didn't really like the Pineapple I bought.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Sep-17-09, 18:54

BF:

Hmmm - so I need better ideas on how to use the almond roca. i just threw it in a shake with decaf coffee crystals, a little unsweetened cocoa powder, and the chocolate protein shake. I'm not sure you can taste it at all.

I'm not one for inventing my own recipes - I'll be trying some of yours - like that peppermint patty and the pina colada.

Sarah - off to find pineapple extract or flavoring somewhere on the web...
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Sep-17-09, 19:15

BF:

hey Nancy, just saw your post about not liking the pineapple you bought. I just became very interested in that pina colada shake recipe in the 6week cure book.

So far I've found:
- pineapple sugar free syrup
- pineapple extract - which is imitation pineapple - not sure of the benefit here over the sugar free syrup except less splenda?
- pineapple extract - bromelin - in tablets to help arthritis and all kinds of stuff (not edible)

Not sure which choice is better, although I like the intensity of flavors from the other extracts I've bought. So unless someone weighs in heavily one way or the other, i'm probably buying one of those imitation extracts.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Sep-17-09, 22:48
Experimenter

BF:

Does the bromelin taste like pineapple? You might want to google that. The Da Vinci pineapple syrup I have is really weak on pineapple flavor.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Sep-17-09, 23:04

BF:

Im definitely going to get the extract. i would have bought earlier tonight, but so far every site that sells the pineapple extract doesn't sell anything else I want so shipping is ridiculous! We'll see.

I'm wanting to make something with cinnamon. Any ideas?

Also, am wondering if what's bothering me in the shakes is all the whey (which is dairy). The next batch I buy will be the Jay Robb Egg White Protein Powder

Sarah
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Sep-18-09, 11:13
Experimenter

BF:

I did Diet Rite Tangerine and Vanilla today. That was pretty tasty!
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Sep-18-09, 11:45

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Just now reading this thread for the first time. Glad to get some opinions on flavors - I've thrown out at least ten bottles of DaVinci in the past. Their raspberry flavor was one of the worst things I've tasted in my life. Buttered popcorn was pretty bad too.

I like the three flavors of Monin syrup I've tried: caramel, vanilla, and especially blackberry. I highly recommend the Monin blackberry syrup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
I almost ordered the Dulce de Leche, but then thought it might be too similar to English Toffee

Yikes! DaVinci Dulce de Leche has gluten in it Debbie, be careful! It's the only flavor that currently does though. It is very similar to the English Toffee. Between those two and caramel, I like caramel best. It's less fake tasting.

I haven't finished all my reading yet. Do they say whether decaf coffee is allowed? That might be good.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Sep-18-09, 12:18
Experimenter

BF:

Monin is good, but where do you get it now? I didn't see it at netrition.com last time I checked. It's expensive as heck too.

Decaf coffee is ok. I've got to find some decaf instant for my shakes.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Sep-18-09, 12:28

BF:

It's all over the internet for $7.95 per 750 ml. bottle or $8.95 per 1 liter bottle. Netrition still has it but it's more expensive there and they don't have many flavors.

The flavors taste much better to me than DaVinci's. I'm a little still suspicious of erythritol, though. Erythritol and xylitol are supposed to not count because of their very low glycemic impact. After thinking about it, it occurs to me that fructose has a low glycemic impact too but turns out to be problematic for other reasons. So I'm not sure what to think.
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Sep-18-09, 12:54
Experimenter

BF:

Xylitol != Erythritol -- Xylitol is closer to malitol and those.

Keep this book marked for future reference, it shows the differences.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_alcohols

Last edited by Nancy LC : Fri, Sep-18-09 at 14:35.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Sep-18-09, 13:45

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike2work
JYikes! DaVinci Dulce de Leche has gluten in it Debbie, be careful! It's the only flavor that currently does though.

Gluten? Gosh, who'da thunk it? Not me, clearly. Well I didn't order it. I think there have been one or two DaVinci flavors I was not fond of (though now I can't remember which ones, ) but I did enjoy most of them.
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-09, 16:20

BF:

I've decided to stick with this plan for a while, much more than six weeks. I hate to admit it, but I think I've been stalled by my large fat consumption and my devotion to vegetables. Vodka and red wine weren't helping either, even though I've kept my carbs very low. I've been stuck and wandering aimlessly for about a year; this plan looks more promising than switching to another lc plan. I haven't felt like cooking much lately anyway.

So I bought a lot of flavorings for all these shakes. I decided not to go with syrups, though. Extracts make more sense to me. They take less space, I can control the sweetness better, and shipping costs less.

I bought several of the Lorann Flavor Fountain extracts (all Lorann products are gluten-free). They're designed for flavoring shakes and ice cream specifically, so maybe they'll somehow taste better. The source I chose:

http://www.barryfarm.com/beverageflavors.htm (scroll down)

I also bought a lot of baking extracts and flavor powders from the same place (all Spicery Shoppe is gluten free):

http://www.barryfarm.com/flavorings.htm

This place had the best prices on egg protein powder, much lower than their competitors:

http://www.supplementwarehouse.com/

They also have a low price on leutine.

I'll let you know how these things turn out.

Using soft drinks must be the very most expensive way to flavor these things. You also end up with double sweetness unless you start with unsweetened protein powder. Or triple sweetness if you use d-ribose.

I'm thinking that I'll try using up some of the old herbal teas in the cupboard. I just need to remember to steep one in advance. I don't know whether that'll taste good or not.
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-09, 16:24

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Xylitol != Erythritol -- Xylitol is closer to malitol and those.

Keep this book marked for future reference, it shows the differences.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_alcohols

That shows a bigger difference than I've seen before. Thanks. The other comparison chart I've seen shows the glycemic index of each and makes xylitol look a lot more similar to erythritol that way. (Erythritol is 0 and xylitol is about 2 on a scale of 100.)