Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-18, 23:29
Registered Member

Plan: Keto + IF
Stats: 260/300/165 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: -42%
Default Omega-3 no protection against heart attack or strokes, say scientists

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-18, 06:22

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Not new news, but good to have a Cochrane meta-analysis.

It is the Omega 3:6 ratio...now so out of balance with the vast increase in processed seed/vegetable. Adding more 3 does nothing unless the Omega 6 is reduced, by a lot.
Don’t use soybean, canola, processed vegetable oils, use saturated fats, olive oil, nut oils instead, and rarely eat out. This fat topic has been in so many talks, Nina Teicholz (many of hers but a recent one http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=480783) and Dr Eades http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...36&postcount=13
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-18, 06:48

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Janet provides the accurate summary. Yes, Omega 3 is important; however, the damage done by seed oils moving the distorted ratio toward Omega 6 is the suspected culprit in out of control inflammation and metabolic damage that is so prevalent today. I continue to supplement with a good Omega 3, but I avoid like the plague the damaging Omega 6s that are all too often advertised as heart healthy. They have no place in my pantry.

As mentioned, eating out puts you at the mercy of the restaurant, and they certainly have no awareness or care to have about this health issue. Bottom line for most places, even the upscale places, is cost. If they think Canola oil is healthy, it becomes a great substitute for olive oil in everything. Even for those of us who have ordered a salad and asked for olive oil and vinegar on the side, it's an easy taste test to detect that the oil is something other than oo. Diner beware.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-18, 08:31
Registered Member

Plan: Keto + IF
Stats: 260/300/165 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: -42%

Canola has the best Omega 6:3 ratio of all the major industrial vegetable oils, and it's mostly monounsaturated. I think it's the least worst option among them.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-18, 09:12

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I suspect overall diet, murky as that is, over omega 6 fatty acids as the culprit. The !Kung eat/ate the Mongongo nut as a staple, that brought large amounts of omega 6 fatty acid into their diet. Of course it's not treated as modern industrial fats are. Also not made into donuts, french fries and potato chips.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-18, 10:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyHW
Canola has the best Omega 6:3 ratio of all the major industrial vegetable oils, and it's mostly monounsaturated. I think it's the least worst option among them.

Trying to increase Canada's Canola trade surplus?
3 minute video how canola is made https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6DR_KWDoXU

Canola is very processed; if it wasn't it, would be called rapeseed oil. Would it have the same health halo with that name?

There is a new podcast about Omega 3 on Fresh Air, interview with author of a entire book on one supplement, but more about the environmental damage the "reduction" industry is doing.

The Omega Principle. https://www.amazon.com/Omega-Princi...k/dp/B076NTB4FR

DietDoctor's comments on the same article. https://www.dietdoctor.com/do-omega...scular-benefits
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-18, 10:45

BF:

A major problem with canola oil is there's a video on youtube for it. I'm sure we wouldn't want to see how various other seed oils are produced, either.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-18, 11:28

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

i find these studies useless...... when does one nutrient make us healthy....

My take away is that taking an omega 3 supplement is not enough. FIrst, having recently looked at the many bottles at CVS and Walmart, the amount of omega 3 varies widely, and the levels of DHA and EPA vary. TO the point that I did not buy, and need to reread a resource for help. Second, how was the omega 6 accounted for? Seems to me the rare person eats the traditional grass fed meats and dairy. The grain fed meats will easily have the omega 6's outpace the omega 3 pil.

Just my 2 cents.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-18, 11:47

BF:

The origin of the omega 3 vs heart disease hypothesis if I recall correctly was the observation of high fat diets not causing heart disease in Greenland Inuit. Go ahead and wash down fish oil capsules with red wine that contains homeopathic doses of resveratrol, I guess, if it makes you feel better.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-18, 13:25

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:

Visiting Ireland in the late spring coincides with the beautiful yellow flowers in the fields of rapeseed plants. Canola oil is processed from these seeds, and the visual beauty of the blossoms is about as close to the processed form as I ever want to get.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-18, 20:02
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I still like my sardines, whether they are heart healthy or not. I do have to check the label for those packed in oil, though. Healthy fish packed in crappy oil is something that I don't do.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-18, 20:28

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Ken, we eat a lot of canned fish, sardines, sprats, mackerel, etc. and getting them packed in the right oils has been impossible. Have you found brands that use good oils? Perhaps packed in water is a better alternative to the poor quality oils???
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-18, 20:55

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Heart health? I thought what DHA is supposed to be good for is your brain, that a lot of it is made of DHA is what I heard. Water packed canned fish gets my vote; no "fishy" oils and a lot less messy to drain.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-18, 22:23
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!

Careful, often the only difference in appearance of the tins is the word "oil" or "Water" unless you read the ingredients list. And people often mix them up on the shelves
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jul-20-18, 03:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
A major problem with canola oil is there's a video on youtube for it. I'm sure we wouldn't want to see how various other seed oils are produced, either.

No video of cornoil because you can just read a description and know that it can also be made into biodiesel fuel for cars to worry that it may not be a healthy product to eat.
Quote:
Almost all corn oil is expeller-pressed, then solvent-extracted using hexane or 2-methylpentane (isohexane).[1] The solvent is evaporated from the corn oil, recovered, and re-used. After extraction, the corn oil is then refined by degumming and/or alkali treatment, both of which remove phosphatides. Alkali treatment also neutralizes free fatty acids and removes color (bleaching). Final steps in refining include winterization (the removal of waxes), and deodorization by steam distillation of the oil at 232–260 °C (450–500 °F) under a high vacuum.[1]
. Yum!