Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-22-01, 19:59
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Red face

hi Karen, oh great Goddess of Gourmand (or should that be Gourmande?) -

I've tried a number of your recipes, they are so delicious. If I haven't said so before ..............THANKYOU!! ....

(anyone else out there reading this - you absolutely MUST check out Karen's recipe page) http://www.lowcarber.org/karen.html

Most recently, made the recipe for Swiss Chard with Bacon and White Wine. Um, well, I like to experiment, and, um, Food Basics had dandelion greens on for .88 cents a bunch, so made it with that ( I love chard, have it often) anyway, Karen, the bitter dandelion was a perfect match for the smoky bacon taste. Awesome. Was also thinking, if someone can't find Swiss Chard, that spinach works perfectly.

Anyway, Karen, my latest flavour addiction is chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. (For anyone else out there, chipotle peppers - pronounced chee-poht-lay - are mesquite-smoked jalepenos; sometimes you can get 'em dried, but mostly you find them canned in a salty, tart, tomato-ey onion sauce called Adobo - they are to die for)

Obviously, I use them in beanless chili, and I make chipotle mayonnaise or sour cream dips for cold meat and veggies, but I want something different. I have an idea, what do you think of this??? Roasted eggplant, Spanish Onion and Red Pepper, chilled or room temp, with some kind of chipotle vinaigrette dressing?? Or, marinating or brushing the vegetables with some chipotle marinade before roasting, and serving hot or room temp?? Or brushing with a simple olive oil & chipotle dressing prior to roasting, then serving with either a creamy dressing or sauce, or a lime and cilantro vinaigrette??????

from Doreen, hopeful jack of all trades, but master of nothing
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-23-01, 01:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Question hope you don't mind me butting in butt...

... I couldn't help myself.

Doreen, how about an eggplant flan with a *Chipotle* coulis? see this spiffy webpage (pagedown for the recipe(s)):
http://www.rimag.com/019/Food.htm

Yum. I have to go rummage in the cupboard, I'm *SURE* I had a tin of those chipotles in there...

PS: "re-inducting" now I'm off the patch and have weighed myself for the first time in months. Ouch. Bigtime.

PS: Should probably be Great Goddess of Gourmet rather than Gourmande, non?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-23-01, 10:09
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile thanks Judi

Checked out the recipe, sounds delicious. A little more cream, cheese and dairy than I can handle. I like the idea of the coulis though, perhaps using roasted red peppers.

You are right of course, about Karen being a Gourmet - one who is expert in good and fine foods. I'm getting my definitions confused a bit. I am the gourmand here, one who has the taste for eating good food (the other definition was a greedy glutton ... .. )

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-23-01, 11:23
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Doreen,

I am a big fan of chipotle chilies en adobo as well.

Your ideas sound excellent. I would add or sprinkle some cumin seeds over the vegetables. This is especially fab on eggplant. While you're at it, grill a few prawns too with the same marinade dressing.

K