Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 20:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 123.5/125.0/100.0 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: -6%
Unhappy Any advice is welcome!!! I am new and very confused.

I started this on Sunday, because I really want to turn my body fat to muscle. I have not cheated and have been doing everything by the book. Excercise, vitamins and never more than 20 carbs a day. I was always a high protien eater but loved the carbs. I had sugarhighs and lows my whole life and that was another reason for trying this...BUT, I have gained weight! My loose jeans are now unbearibly tight after only 4 days and I can not zip up my boots.I am scared that I am making a big mistake with this and I dont know where to turn.
Before this diet I NEVER ate mayo or red meat, that would have been crazy. I never had sauces or dressings on food and always cooked in lemon and pepper, hold the butter and oil. Now I am eating chicken salad and bacon and gaining,,,is this not right for me? Is their anyoneout therethat can help me or send me to the right place to ask? Please let me know because I am really sad and frustrated.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 11:47
Registered Member

Stats: 210/183/160 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 54%
Thumbs up Hi there..........I hope i can help

I hope I can help you although i have only been doing this for a month.......but with luck.

My advice for you is this:

1. Drinks lots of water (at least 8 glasses aday plus 8oz for each additional 20 lbs you want to lose. (But you don't need to lose much it looks like)

2. Keep track of your food intake in Fitday.com. You will see there what your protein, fat, carbs are for the day. (This is really nice to see how your carbs are counted for the day).

3. You may need to increase your fats ........such as Olive oil, butter, mayo!!!

4. Change things around..........and don't eat the same thing day after day!!

There will be days when you see no change and then all at once.......BOOm, a few lbs dropped!!!

The other thing is to get Dr. ATkins book and look through there and read up on the foods to have and the ones to stay away from.

The greatest support is browsing around on this forum,........and looking at what works for everyone. Take notes, and try them. But remember to DRINK.....DRINK........DRINK.........DRINK.........DRINK.........WATER.! !!!!

Good luck:

let me know if these things help you!!!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 20:50

BF:

I am finishing up the fitday menu right now...
as of today I have went for a 1/2 hour bike ride and worked out at Curves for a 1/2 hour. I kept my heart rate up the whole time where I need to be to burn fat and my Ketone strip is now lighter then yesterdays.I am a bit frustrated with the inability to wear any and I mean any of my pants that I have been comfortably wearing for years. I only have one pair of jeans out of 7 that I can zip up. Including my looser pairs. So, I undersatnd that it is impossible that I have gained all this by following the book to the letter (which I think I have...)so I would love to have anyone find the cause of all this weight gain. So thank you for trying to help already, those of you who have been so kind and please tell me what you see. xoxo H
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 21:08

BF:

And the worst thing is I am usually so darn perky and happy...I feel like a big downer! But, I am happy I have all you nice people out there for support.I look foward to doing the same one day, soon?
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 22:45
Registered Member

Stats: 260/192/175 Female 5'7"
BF:?/41/35
Progress: 80%
Default Water, water, water!

Hi, just a few tips....... yes you should increase your fat intake.... this induces your body into processing the fat into energy... thus you burn your stored fat after the fat you consume is used up. The water is very important as Sskrier says....... But also NOT overdoing it on the exercise........ you need to let your body adjust....... I myself get into working out periods..... and I build the muscle up.... and bulk up a bit. And I don't lose any weight........ so I cut out the extra exercise for a few days and let my body RELAX.... and it seems to shed pounds as well as fractions of inches everywhere with the flush of drinking lots of water. You might also want to watch your SALT intake......... that may be why you are gaining some. And you may need more fiber in your diet..... flax seed sprinkled on your salad or on your meat just before you eat it is a good way to add fiber to your diet........Hope this helps!!!!!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 22:46
Registered Member

Plan: antivegan,was subzerocarb
Stats: 200/187/175 Male 6' 0"
BF:27%/19%/12%
Progress: 52%

make sure you are eating every three hours (small amounts). make sure you are eating plenty of protein and you need FAT! otherwise your body will think it is starving and start storing body fat...
and... as has been said... DRINK LOTS OF WATER!
and get plenty of rest
hope this helps
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 09:21

BF:

All the people who were trying to help me figure out why I am gaining and not losing...here is my menu! Thank you for being so sweet and trying to help!
http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/Public...Owner=Tooloolaa
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 18:03

Plan: 6 week cure
Stats: 217/183/120 Female 4'11"
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 35%

If what I saw for a few days there is all that you ate, then you need fat and you need more calories. There were a couple of days when your caloric consumption was way below 1000 a day. This is not good for you. You are quite literally starving your body.

You have your protein and fat very close to the same number which is not what you need to aim for with low carbing. Atkins is NOT a high protein diet. It is a moderate protein diet. Atkins is a high FAT diet. But you have to feed your body the good fats in order to get it into the right mode for burning your body fats. Your body needs the good fats you get in butter, real mayonnaise, olive oil, cheese and so on. Other good sources of good fats are avacados and olives and, of course, meat.

I suggest you stop the frankenfoods for awhile (breakfast bar, Advantage Choco Peanut Butter, pecan cluster bar) and feed your body real food. Fresh veggies, good fats, moderate protein. Your ratios should be 65 to 70% fat, 5% carbs and the remainder protein.

And drink water, water and more water.

shortstuff

Last edited by shortstuff : Thu, Oct-09-03 at 18:15.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 18:30

Plan: Keto
Stats: 270/265/170 Male 68 inches
BF:43%/35%/10%
Progress: 5%

I noticed that that you weigh 125 lbs and you want to get down to 100 lbs...

I have a couple of questions for you:

Whats more important to you:

Bodyfat % ?

or

Weight?

I think this may help:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=135831

Thanks
Korry

Last edited by korry1977 : Thu, Oct-09-03 at 20:30.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 10:03
Registered Member

Stats: 260/192/175 Female 5'7"
BF:?/41/35
Progress: 80%
Default you might want to rethink

Atkins is not for everyone.... you may already be at your norm weight
when I went to your fitday.......and I have done this several times in the last few days..... it says that you are 104.5 pounds and want to be 99 pounds
it says in the atkins book that if you are under a certain percentage of body fat. That atkins is maybe not for you. And being at that low of a weight that you are....... maybe in purportion to your height....... you are at norm.