Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-17, 09:43

Plan: atkins/paleo/IF
Stats: 186.5/159.0/160 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKeto
Hi guys!

As it happens, this forum was one of the first places I came to when I was first doing the research. (Peek at my history if curious)

So I just checked your profile. You were 208 at 6'.3" and now you weigh 170 lbs. Congratulations on your great success, can we call you puny?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-17, 10:59

Plan: Keto
Stats: 208/170/185 Male 6'3
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
The video explains a lot. My last two NMR Lipid Panel results are good examples. The first when I was on a multi-day fast, 4-5 days at the time of the blood draw showed LDL-C extremely high, yet my HDL & Tri numbers were very much in the healthy range with HDL being higher. For my most recent NMR LP, I eliminated dairy for 30 days, but consumed my normal combination of healthy fats (saturated, mono, and omega 3s & 6s) and did a standard 12-hour fast prior to the blood draw, and received results that showed everything being in a very healthy range (based on today's interpretation of what represents lipid health) with a much lower LDL reading.

It made me realize I can control the results by diet and caused me to question whether blood lipids are really a valid health marker without considering other variables. Since my CRP in the last test was 0.4, it also made me realize that dairy could likely be causing inflammation for me. By doing a straight 12-hour fast and dairy elimination prior to the blood draw, I can make my numbers look great and avoid the inevitable statin discussion with my doctor.

It's great to see one more example of the pattern!

I find hsCRP is most impacted for me by exercise. While generally <1.0 for me, it has been in the double digits 1-2 days following a half marathon / full marathon. So keep this in mind when interpreting in case you've had intensive exercise recently before.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-17, 11:05

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
<Snip>

One thing that came to mind watching your video is Jimmy Moore, his latest lipid panels showed great improvement in his particle count, his ldl cholesterol is down as well. He's been doing some long fasts--if he's not calorie restricting when he's not fasting, his appetite and fat intake is likely to be increased over what it was when he was doing ketogenic ratios.

As with Tom Seest's fasting experiment, I expect long term fasting (past 3-5 days) to show a downward trend given your body is moving from a short term energy burn to a long one. There's clearly a fully-fasted ketonic state that seems to have a settlement period (even when one is fully fat-adapted) from the standpoint of the lipid system in particular.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-17, 11:15

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by andante
Hey thanks, GRB -- I too need to circumvent that statin discussion.

10 months into low carb, 70 + pound weight loss, and my ldl had shot up to nearly 200. (A few years ago -- last time tested -- I was very overweight, but my LDL was only 108.)

I think it may be because I am still losing weight and in ketosis, hence blood lipids are reflecting the fact that MY fat is fueling me and in my bloodstream????

My HDL had gone up to 69. Triglycerides were in the normal range -- 140 -- but that is too high for low carbing.

So I am now doing the flaxseed muffin thing, and am cutting back on dairy and upping the fish oil, sardines, fish consumption, avocados, and olive oil.

I am close to my goal weight and am hoping my cholesterol profile looks better.

My doc is MOSTLY on board with low carb, but he has some traditionalist blind spots (like about bacon!!!) and LDL numbers... however, he is willing to wait and see where I stabilize, and also order a particle size test. I am pretty sure when I do all that, and am at goal weight, the issue will resolve itself.

I am NOT going on statins, no matter what... but I wouldn't mind getting those numbers at least in a less "smoke alarm" range.

Many hyperresponders now send me their labs and we talk about behavior, diet, etc. While anecdotal, I seem to be finding HDL is more reflective of either (1) disease state - as in it is lower due to be being "busy" with engagement and/or (2) lower due to unintended "leaks" in their diet with carbs or cyclical carb loading (some ketogainers). Your score of 69 doesn't suggest either to me and I'd consider it pretty good.

Triglycerides appear to be far more volatile as a marker, which makes sense given they are literally a snapshot of current *mobilized* energy that hasn't yet been used by the cells. Of all the markers, it has the lowest correlation with my 3 day window in the Inversion Pattern, but to me this makes sense. My two lowest scores were from draws taken the day after one half and one full marathon, which is what I fully expected.

Which is why I know I'm constantly beating the dead horse (as I do in the video) of trying to get everyone to think of the lipid system as first and foremost as one of energy distribution. From there everything makes more and more sense.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-17, 11:32

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squarecube
Oh please, don't tell the Docs about this.

I like cheating. I only want to do this to cuz I read/learned over the years how little these numbers mean and I'm tired of hearing 'bout my fantastic HDL, my fantastic Trigs, but oh, dear your LDL is a bit elevated. Yes, your site makes it clear changing these numbers isn't to improve health, but to illustrate how dynamic they are

And yes, I too, want to be an old lady. I have an 80 year old neighbor, female, whose total Cholesterol is slightly elevated, now she's on statins

I regularly joke that if I were female, I'd have abandoned my research a long time ago given how much I've come across that shows women have lower all cause mortality the higher their cholesterol.

Here's a copy/paste from another comment I gave on this...

Quote:
In particular, I find a lot of the more recent research shows a fairly clear distinction for women with higher cholesterol = lower all cause mortality. With men there's either more ambiguity or a "U" shape curve. Two of the largest recent studies are the Ibaraki Prefecture
Health Study (91,219) Norwegian HUNT study (52,087).

Key lines from the Japan study:
"Overall, an inverse trend is found between all-cause mortality and total (or low density lipoprotein [LDL]) cholesterol levels: mortality is highest in the lowest cholesterol group without exception. If limited to elderly people, this trend is universal. As discussed in Section 2, elderly people with the highest cholesterol levels have the highest survival rates irrespective of where they live in the world."
http://www.karger.com/Article/Pdf/381654

Key lines from Norwegian study:
"Among women, cholesterol had an inverse association with all-cause mortality [hazard ratio (HR): 0.94; 95%"
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21951982

Oh, and by the way, I kept finding many rat studies around atherosclerosis were all male and kept wondering why. This from their own literature:

Quote:
MaleSprague-Dawley rats are the most frequently employed animals for this model. Female rats are not preferred as female hormones are protective against vascular diseases and thus introduce a variation into this procedure.
http://m.jove.com/#details/52045

"... introduce a variation into this procedure."??? Translation: we find female rats and their "protective" hormones aren't getting us the level of atherosclerosis induced from endothelial damage as the males, so we'll stick with the males to test on. (But that doesn't mean we won't treat the results as gender neutral when we are pushing the drugs to both sexes)
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-17, 11:43

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKeto
I find hsCRP is most impacted for me by exercise. While generally <1.0 for me, it has been in the double digits 1-2 days following a half marathon / full marathon. So keep this in mind when interpreting in case you've had intensive exercise recently before.

Thanks, Dave. This is good to keep in mind, as I'll make sure I avoid intensive exercise for a couple days before my next blood draw. It would be interesting to compare hsCRP results without dairy elimination and no exercise with my previous results that included dairy elimination.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-17, 11:55

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by andante
I think it may be because I am still losing weight and in ketosis, hence blood lipids are reflecting the fact that MY fat is fueling me and in my bloodstream????

andante - I strongly believe this is the case, and Dave's response to your question regarding mobilized energy addresses this phenomenon. There are other threads on this forum where we discuss higher blood lipid results by fat fueled individuals who are still burning on-board fat stores. I had the same experience, and leveled off once I reached a certain weight. At that point, I decided that I was feeling good by maintaining a very low carb/ keto state, so I've simply continued. It's an easy thing to do at this point.