Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-07-07, 12:18

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 175/167.7/139 Female 5'6''
BF:
Progress: 20%
Question In a stall. Maybe you can see my flaw?

I have been stalled for about a month now. I am 8 to 15 pounds away from my goal. I have been lcing for 6 months now. I have been scouring the pages of the forums to find a way to break me of this stall. I thought maybe someone could maybe see what i'm doing and how I can improve. I'm going to write my normal menu and exercise regime. Let me know what you think.

Menu:
Breakfast: Protein Pudding ~ 1 Carb., Sweetened with splenda, 10 g Protein. (i don't have means to make breakfast because I go to gym then work.) Maybe better breakfast?

22 Almonds
string cheese

Lunch: Salad with LC dressing, or potroast, or grilled chicken. with veggies.

Dinner: Salmon, veggies, or LC shake with berries and strawberries/whey protein

Snack: 3 peices coconut bark

This is a normal menu. I average between 20 and 40 carbs a day.

Exercise: HITT 5x week. CARDIO 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 hours week, run, walk incline, swim, elliptical

I'm VERY active. I know my weight will stall with the gaining of muscle but I just can't seem to get rid of this belly fat. I was thinking about doing a meat and egg fast but I can't stomach hard boiled eggs. I just don't want to feel like i'm punishing myself when it comes to food. I enjoy what I eat now and I don't feel like i'm overeating or eating bad foods. it's just this belly fat doesn't want to budge. Anyone, have any advice?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-08-07, 18:44
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/173/150 Female 5 '7"
BF:I don't know
Progress: 39%

The nuts may be a problem...... you say u go to the gym because you don't want wait to get rid of the belly fat ....then u say its not going anywhere. You need to try to change everything around to see what happens.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-08-07, 19:11

Plan: Atkins~Modified
Stats: 173/173/145 Female 5' 6" and growing!
BF:26.6%/
Progress: 0%

Hi
Those last pounds are always the hardest to lose. As far as your eating, since I take it you are not doing Induction, that looks good. The nuts may be your problem, but I doubt it. I think it is just the last pound thing and you will start going down again, I am sure.
If you don't like the M&E fast, cut back the carbs and see what happens.
Or, you may not be getting enough calories or too many. I would not be able to tell you one way or the other without knowing the amount that you eat a day in calories. Do you use FitDay? That is a great place to keep track of all the, carbs, calories, fats ect. You could also use the MY P.L.A.N here on the forum and get the same information.
As far as belly fat. They say abs are made in the kitchen. I never intirely understood that one either. I know if they are I would have to starve myself to death to lose my gut!
I think the belly depends on age, genetics, and exercise. Do enough exercise and in time you are going to lose your stomach. But, it does not go overnight, so you are going to have to be patient with that area.
Just keep active, exercise, and try the lower carbs, or upping or lowering your calories and see what happens.
I wish you luck, and I am sure you are going to lose those last pounds in time.
Brenda
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-09-07, 22:14

Plan: Low-carb
Stats: 166/150/132 Female 5'3.5"
BF:31%/ ? /23.5%
Progress: 47%

Hi KatieAZ:

Looks like a lot of cardio; are you doing any resistance training at all?

Yoga's a terrific adjunct to any workout program. Maybe you'd like Pilates? As that focuses on "core" building, you might find posture/core stability improving.

Cheers--
Terry24
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-10-07, 07:13
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 180/156/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Are you drinking lots of water?
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-10-07, 09:27
neverwhere

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

the last few pounds are always the hardest to get off! And, by the way, you dont have to eat hb eggs on m/e. You can have your eggs any way you like them!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-16-07, 07:18
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Smile

I would ditch the shakes and maybe even the coconut bark. Coconut oil is good for you, and it's less likely to be stored than other fatty acids, but it's easy to eat enough of it that you're maintaining, not losing. From the research I've seen, it does not improve metabolism; I'm not sure why that idea keeps floating around.

I don't know why M&E has become the stall-buster-du-jour when the more common (and superior, IMO) approach was something like Atkins K.I.S. It's LC whole foods only; you eliminate the common stallers. You ditch dairy, artificial sweeteners, nuts, and anything overly-processed like meats or salad dressings with too many fillers. So you're left with eggs, meat you cook yourself, lowest carb veggies and fruit, and plain fats.

Good luck.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-16-07, 07:34
Lover of Life

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 233/169/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 88%

I had the same problem....worked out intensely 6 days a week but nothing was working. I kept blaming it on being post menopausal. NOT!!!

Then I started eating differently kind of like South Beach and keeping my calories between 1000 and 1200 (I stay full) and upped my water and guess what....the scale is moving down finally!!

I eat anything I want to but I stay strict to my caloric plan and only workout 3 x a week for 1 hour doing only HIIT for 20 mins. and lifting weights to maintain the muscles.

I try to keep my carbs at a healthy level (no more then 40) but there are some days that it goes over like yesterday I ate some M&M's but cals were at 1200. I was fearful of gaining again so I weighed and it didn't effect my weight. I have just started losing after 15 months of trying desperately to get down below 170 which I stayed at forever!

I agree with everyone that has posted.....either you aren't getting enough calories or too many. You may have to just tweak it and incorporate several plans into your diet. As far as the belly fat.....if it is in your genetics it will be harder to get rid of.

I have a problem with saddle bags on my hips.....so does one of my daughters....it is a genetic thing. When I weighed 145lbs. about 10 years ago I still had those bags and the thickness in my booty. Nothing I can do will change that other then lipo and that is not an option for me.

Hope some of my input might help you.

HN
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-23-07, 07:20

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%

Katie, I'm going to play devil's advocate here. Please don't flame me. I googled BMI and put in a weight of 141 and height of 5'6" as you list. It comes out to be a BMI of 22.8 which is well within a normal weight range for your height. Now, I will admit that a goal weight of 125 is also within the appropriate weight range for your height, but it may be possible that is the weight where your body feels healthy and it just isn't going to go any lower. I struggle with the same thing. I'm only 5'4" and I have a goal weight of 125, but I'm pretty much convinced that I'm never going to see it.

Your diet looks good to me. I agree with weight training. That has tremendously changed my body shape. Cardio will burn off the fat, but weights will reshape your body and make you look hot!

Barb
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-23-07, 10:24

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 175/167.7/139 Female 5'6''
BF:
Progress: 20%

Thanks for the advice everyone! I have decided to do South Beach diet. I'm going to see if it makes a difference. Cameramom~ I agree 125 I may never see. I know though that I can weigh 135. I will be okay with that because of all the muscle I've put on. Mostly, I'm looking at my measurements and how clothes are fitting. i would like to get to a size 6. Write now I'm a size 10 comfortably. We'll see how it goes.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-07, 10:19

Stats: 138/133.5/125 Female 5' 5''
BF:
Progress: 35%

I have been in a similar situation myself and here are the things that helped me. Please note that I do not lose weight that quickly. This is from the time that I went down from 170 pounds to 135 pounds in 8 months on Atkins back in 2004-2005. Instead of going for the meat/egg fast or fat fast, I tried a high FAT to PROTEIN ratio. I ate mostly good monosaturated fats.
The average FAT to PROTEIN to CARB ratio was 75 : 20 : 5
And I tried to stay at about 1200 to 1400 calories

And of course I drank tons of water and instead of working out 6 days a week....I did 4 days a week. I think my body wanted some time off to rest up.

And I am back here again to lose the last 10 lbs
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-07, 17:26

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 150/135/125 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 60%

I would have to say its probably the nuts or dairy. I have been in a stall for a few months now and I just started the Meat and Eggs fast, which people have said will help. I too have the last 10lbs to lose and I agree with everyone, the last 10 are the hardest to lose! If you are interested in the Meat and Eggs fast it is in this section first page. Good Luck with the last few lbs!!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-07, 15:18

Plan: atkins since 1-21-03
Stats: 210/155/125 Female 5 ft. 3 in.
BF:
Progress: 65%

if you are only 10 pounds from goal - you are going to probably have to be very very strict.

meaning probably very strict 20 grams of carbs per day plus watch your calories.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-07, 09:43

Plan: Primal/whole 30
Stats: 208/179/158 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI 27,goal 25
Progress: 58%

I would also recommend more weight training less cardio. I love Joyce Verdal books, she has some great routines with weight. When I consistently do her program 4 days a week with weights and do 3-4 days of cardio, I look more fit and lose the weight. I don't do her diet by the way I do Atkins. My problem is I lack the motivation and energy to keep it up. I have 3 small boys and tend to get busy. Either my house is clean, I'm a mess or I am doing great, and my house is a mess. One of these days, I'm going to get it balanced!
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Sep-22-07, 15:53

Stats: 190/172/150 Male 170cm
BF:
Progress: 45%

Guys, the real issue is that people somehow believe they can eat unlimited stuff provided the carbs are low. Wrong. You will stall, every time. The only way to lose weight is to eat fewer calories than you consume. But the Rosemary Stantons of the world and other 'sugar -diet' pushers will have you eat bread and potatoes and all that stuff, ie - everything that converts to sugar. Low carb combined with low cal is absolutely a winner.