Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 12:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 198/185/148 Female 5'10"
BF:36%/31%/23%
Progress: 26%
Arrow I am Metoboliclly Resistant - lost 5.5lbs w/Atkins Fat Fast

I have completed a five day Fat Fast. I found it very helpful for me only because I am Metobolic Resistant. 5.5 lbs lost and 1.5 inches

In my case I lost nothing during the first two weeks of Induction.
During week two I cut out all artificial sweetners and added a fiber supplement.

So I continued on strick Induction.

During week three I cut out cheese, bacon and sausage carefully watching my salt intake because of water retention.

During week four I increased my water intake to 4 litres daily.

I felt frustration because I was doing everything I could including moderate exercise 3x's weekly too boot. I had only lost 6.5 bls!

During week five I did the FAT FAST. This is what I ate and this is now I lost.

Day one 191.5 lbs morning weight
Three meals of 2.5 ozs of heavy whipping cream, 2 meals of two deviled eggs made with two teaspoons mayo. Little stomach cramping before a bathroom visit. Continued taking fiber supplement morning and evening. Drank 5 litres of water. Went to bed very hungry.

Day two 191.0 lbs morning weight
Three meals of 2.5 ozs of heavy whipping cream, 2 meals of two deviled eggs made with two teaspoons mayo. Little more stomach cramping before a bathroom visit. Continued taking fiber supplement morning and evening. Drank 5 litres of water. Very little hunger.

Day three 188.5 lbs morning weight
Three meals of 2.5 ozs of heavy whipping cream, 2 meals of two deviled eggs made with two teaspoons mayo. No bathroom visits. Continued taking fiber supplement morning and evening. Drank 5 litres of water. Mild hunger. Tired of deviled eggs.

Day four 188.0 lbs morning weight
2 meals of two deviled eggs made with two teaspoons mayo, one meal of whipping cream and one meal of 1 oz chicken mixed with 2 tablespoons of cream cheese. No bathroom visits. Continued taking fiber supplement morning and evening. Drank 5 litres of water. Mild hunger. Tired of deviled eggs.

Day five 187.0 lbs morning weight
1 meal of two deviled eggs made with two teaspoons mayo, one meal of 2.5 ozs whipping cream and two meals of 1 oz chicken mixed with 2 tablespoons of cream cheese. No bathroom visits. Continued taking fiber supplement morning and evening. Drank 5 litres of water. Mild hunger.

It was not a breeze, however, I am now very motivated because I am in Ketosis. Completed weight 186.0 lbs the morning after my fast a total of 5.5 lbs lost and (1.5 inches lost) -0.5in bust, -0.5in waist and -0.5in hips. My endurance level was lower, but I felt good and had good energy so I only went to the gym on day one. I am back to strick Induction until I hit 170.0 lbs and start on OWL.

That's it I just wanted to share my experience because I gained so much from the this forum and it may inspire someone.

Best luck with whatever your goals are.

Last edited by 94513 : Sun, Aug-24-03 at 09:22. Reason: Weight corrected!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 15:46

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 120/???/113 Female 5ft 3 inches
BF:18.8/18.8/15
Progress: 63%

I think you must have typed you weight in wrong.

Now, HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I strted Atkins almost 4 weeks ago and as of today, I am up 3 pounds! I entered ketosis around day 3 and on day 5, I ran out of strips. I thought I was doing good, not losing but hanging in there. At the begining of week 3 I got more strips and I was not in ketosis anymore, too much cheese I think. I did a kindof fat fast for 1 day, los a pound. After 5 days of doing regular Atkins, I decided to carb up! I ate everything in sight for 1 day. I gained 4 pounds (to be expected). 2 days after doing a strict Fat Fast, I am only down one pound and not in Ketosis!

I have had 1000 calories of eggs, cream cheese and whipped cream for 2 days and not in ketosis! What is up with that?

If I still am not by Tomorrow morning I am going to start the oil fast!

Have any suggestions? Anyone?????

Last edited by Serena : Sat, Aug-23-03 at 16:54.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 17:18

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

Serena, here are my thoughts. I think that you are so close to being a good weight that it is totally unrealistic to expect the same magic bullet drops in weight that more obese people can often have in the same time frame. At your weight, research has shown over and over that you should not lose more than 10% of the excess lbs in a month, and then 5% each month after that, on average. Try to assess your resting metabolism and then your maintenance metabolism in calories. Aim at consuming, using LC, above your resting rate, but up to 500 cal's per day less than your maintenance...this way, with lots of exercise, you should lose about 1-2 lbs a month. Give yourself 6 months, not weeks, to lose your bit of excess. And remember to measure body fat, not weight anyway.
Get a calipers measure of this at your gym and throw away the scales.

One of the problems is that lower weight people seem to expect the same RATE of weight loss that larger people often show. To maintain a low weight, you will need to consume less calories and
exercise more overall. It is easier to do this on LC than on any other type of diet as you feel less hungry.

I am not losing lbs either, probably for similar reasons, plus age (I am 63 and boy does the metabolism slow down by then!!) but am down an inch in overall girth after 6 weeks of this. I tried the 'fat fast' for a day but felt awful, so back to normal lower cal, very LC for me. I think we just have to resign ourselves to looking at loss of BF rather than lbs as the goal now.

I also think that it is important to make most of the fat calories come from oils that have omega 3's rather than saturated fats. I am also going to start taking L Carnitine, which Atkins suggests, and maybe you might do this too.

Val

Val
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 17:28

Thank you for your thoughts. I know it will take longer for me. I am losing my patience though. I was at my goal till vacation a couole of months ago and can't get back there.

I exercise 5-6 times a week, spinning 3x, running 3x and weights 3-4 times. I use BFL weight training and sprinting when I run.

I had hoped for a little loss or at least ketosis after 2 days.

I will wait till tomorrow to decide about continuing the fat fast. I feel okay now though. I have a 1 year old boy and a little girl who isn't three yet...they keep my too busy to feel tired!

Thanks again!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 17:34

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

What is your BF? It is possible that it is sufficiently low that you don't need to lose 'weight'...given all your good exercise you may be gaining enough muscle, which is heavy... the body builder folks all say to forget the scales and look at BF as the scales are too unreliable. Also ketostix are not reliable indicators either and with carbs low, and all that exercise, your BF will be slowly changing is my guess.

Val
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 20:01

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/143/125 Female 5-6
BF:got/luv/handles
Progress: 49%

94513 that is so great! Ive doing it for around 6 days, I lost 5 lbs. I lost 3 in one day and 2 in one day, kind of odd. Anyways today Im taking a break, eating like im on induction feels like im cheating. The only downfall is that I find it very hard to workout. Im going to go back on the fat fast tomorrow, I want to drop 5 lbs by friday so that I can look great for my birthday. Anyone up for the challenge?
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 06:07

Okay, I woke u at 4:30 this morning having a wierd dream that The room was spinning! Turns out it wasn't a dream, I couldn't even walk I was so dizzy! I have a 1 year old and a 3 year old, so that will not do! I had some ceam cheese and went back to bed. At 7:30 I was still very sick. A little hungry, I can deal with that, but not dizzy like I was. I was affraid to drive. I ate a chunk of cheese and now I think I'll just do regular Atkins for a couple of days and then try the meat fast. I guess I just need more calories than 1000. That is wierd though because I felt fine last night. Also, still not in Ketosis! I don't gst it....!

The other wierd thing is that I used to be a WW's fanatic (might have to try again). I have counted points for 3 years and alsway ate around 1000-1200 calories (when I wasn't pregnant or nursing), and I always felt fine, never sick like today.

So, I now weigh 2 pounds more than when I started this WOE almost a month ago.

I don't reeally know what to do at this point! It's just a few drat pounds that make my clothes tight and now it's almost jeans weather and They barely fit me!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 09:05

Default Fat Fast not a cure for dropping quick weight!

Serena

I am so sad you are not well. Please do not do the Fat Fast just for a quick weight drop it is not healthy if you are not METOBOLIC RESISTANT you can get sick! (Chapter 20, DANDR). Please consider what VALEWIS has said, she is well informed the amount of weight you need to lose and your age are big conderations also.

I started Atkins 7/10/03 needing to lose 53 lbs and I still have 41 lbs I am a mother of three young children and I will be 40 in December.

Thank you for the heads up about my weight being wrong I have corrected my thread.

God! I can feel the frustration for you and LCing for a month now and gaining. Do you drink lots and lots of water are you following Induction or OWl strickly and have you considered caffeine or salt causing water retention?

I hope you will find the best way to continuing LCing for life and reaching your goal in the best healthy was possible! I really do!

I hope that by sharing my expierence someone else with my simular situation may gain inspiration.

Last edited by 94513 : Sun, Aug-24-03 at 09:08. Reason: big need
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 09:13

skibunnie

Happy Birthday and Good luck to you! Now that I am in ketosis I am continuing strick Induction hoping to see some mild weekly weightloss.

warm regards...you will look wonderful!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 16:50

I do drink a lot of water, about a gallon a day. I always have. I have always been so health consious, I just want to get into ketosis!

I have been trying to figure out what to do all day. I took my babies to Golden Corral for breakfast...I was soo upset about being sick. I wanted to eat a lot and fast! I am still sick even now at 7pm. My DH took us out to lunch...he thinks I am a freak! He just wishes I would relax and quit trying sooo hard. I know it's only about 7 pounds but it started at being about 5.

I thought and thought today, I was gonna go back on WW's tomorrow but I have spent so much time and extra money in the last month on this thing, I can't afford to go grocery shopping for different food till next week. I think I'll try protien tomorrow w/o counting calories. I have a bunch of hamburgers that I cooked last week and then froze. I'll eat those and eggs tomorrow. I just think it was too few calories for me to fat fast. I exercise a lot!

I wonder, has anyone tried meat and eggs only to get into ketosis? I think I'll eat no cheese for a couple of days. I really enjoyed the first 2 weeks with not being hungry at all and not feeling restricted on my eating. I think I'll relax about the portions and calories. I was happy till I realized that I wasn't in ketosis, I wasn't losing but I felt good about my eating. I am one of those people who is always hungry, this WOE really keeps me satisfied.

I do believe that I am metobolicly resistant, how else can I not have gone into ketosis?

Also, you entioned stomach cramping before the bathroom in your original post...is that normal, I haven't read that anywhere before. I had that too though.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by Serena : Sun, Aug-24-03 at 16:57.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 16:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/143/125 Female 5-6
BF:got/luv/handles
Progress: 49%

How many calories have you been eating? Do you ever cheat?
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 17:16

At first I didn't pay attention to calories and didn't cheat till after 3 weeks and not being in ketosis. I ate about 15 carbs a day and it didn't work. I cheated last Thursday. I ate everything in sight...cookies, brownies, fried dough at the fair...gained 3 pounds! Then the next day stared with the fat fast and after 48 hours was very sick. I cheated again today because I didn't know how to get passed being sick.

Do you think I should try the meat and egg thing and up the calories from 1000. Maybe just eat them till I am satisfied? I could do a couple of burger patty's with a little mayo and some eggs a few times a day and probably not get sick....
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 17:35

Plan: Meat&Egg
Stats: 243/209.6/143 Female 5 feet 6
BF:38/?/22
Progress: 33%

My theory is that she is starving herself, Way too heavy in the exercise and not enough calories to support her body, it is saying to her, HELP you are in a famine and a couger is chasing us. Some times we are to close to the problem, back off a bit and eat a little extra, Rule of thumb is 10 x body weight or very close to that depending on Activity level. She is an fit person so maybe 13 x body weight.

Diane
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 17:49

Okay, I have never been a calorie counter! 13x my body weight is almost 1600 calories, I should eat that many and still be able to lose weight?

I'd say I burn about 400 calories 5-6 days a week with exercise alone. Usually, I am out of bed by 7am and don't sit down except in the car until 9pm when both kids are in bed.

Fit day says I burn about 1300 caloies not doing anything. Does anyone know if that is accurate? I haven't used it yet, I just signed up yesterday.

What about the egg and meat thing, I'll go with that tomorrow if you guys think it'll work.

So you think My body went into starvation mode instead of ketosis from too few calories?

I appreciate all of your help. Like I said, I really good at WW's but I honestly am hungry most of the time. I have felt better on this WOE! I just need to work out the kinks.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 18:19

Serena

Sad to see you have felt crapy all day and your husband's attemps to fix things with food is not working. I am glad you drink alot of water that is great. The stomach cramping I mentioned before visiting the bathroom was because my intestinal track was emptying out. It was not painful just a little discomfort before my business.

I had my gallbladder removed about 16 years ago so my tollerance to huge amounts of fat is a little tricky, however, the amounts I was comsuming for mini-meals on the Fat Fast was not enough to cause the cramping.

I agree your calories may be too low considering your high exercise level. Could you please tell me if you were using Ketostix? So many people say they are not reliable? I think they are a helpful tool, but you will get a light reading if you are well hydrated.

Lastly, I can feel your frustration. You did WW and it worked, now you have 5lbs back on and you are pationate about keeping the weight off.

If you are going to try the meat fast I hope you will continue to stay in contact and report your expierences.

best luck!