Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-30-05, 10:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 147/147/130 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress:
Default Peanut Butter

I am new to this forum.I have tried the Atkins diet without success.Am going to try Protein Power.I love that I have more choices.Only one thing.I LOVE Peanut butter,but I have not found that I can eat it in the Protein Power book or that any of you have mentioned it on this site.HELP. I can't do without my Peanut Butter {:[.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-30-05, 10:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/143/125 Female 5-6
BF:got/luv/handles
Progress: 49%

If peanut butter is a trigger food for you, then I would completely avoid it for a while! Im not sure about protein power, but I know that other low carb plans allow natural peanut butter at different stages.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-30-05, 17:58

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 250/190/185 Male 6' 1"
BF:30+/16/15
Progress: 92%

Peanut butter is ok on PP, but note it is pretty high in carbs and doesn't have the greatest proportion of fats (almond butter is better) If you find you can keep your intake to small amounts (ie its not a trigger food as suggested above) then go ahead - just make sure you get a sugar free version, or better yet go to a health food shop where they will grind some fresh (with no other ingredients).

Cheers,

Malcolm
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-30-05, 20:56

Stats: 257/192.6/175 Male 72 inches
BF:35%/24.6%/18%
Progress: 79%

Hey, Malcomb...long time no see! The PPBB is down again...several of us are "refugeeing" here at least temporarily.

As for peanut butter, it really helped me when I was in my weight loss phase. A big spoonful would really curb the sweet cravings for me. I would occasionally have it with some sugar-free chocolate (when the Hershey's with erythritol was available). Read the labels and you'll find that brands vary. Some of the most carb-friendly brands were the cheapest store brands. Of course, you have to watch the added fats and high fructose corn syrup. Just my 2 cents worth!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-30-05, 23:22

Hi Aaron, yes do you think that this might be additional motivation to get the long awaited web site up and running?

I agree about checking labels because as you say, not only sweeteners are added to some PNB (goodness knows why anyone would want to sweeten it in the first place!) - but also "added fats" quite often in the form of vegetable oils (again why??) - and this will make the fatty acid profile even worse, let alone the added dangers of hydrogenated fats.

Like I say - get the freshly ground stuff - a bit like freshly ground coffee - once you have tried the real thing ... you will never go back!

Cheers,

Malcolm
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Oct-01-05, 08:03

Plan: PSMF (from Veg Atkins)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'7"
BF:BMI 41.8/29.6/23.5
Progress: 73%

You can buy natural, no sugar added brands at almost any grocery store now. Each chain store has its own brand-name version. The natural stuff is better because there are no hydrogenated or partly hydrogenated fats. It's just peanuts.

I have read that a tbsp when you are hungry is good for curbing hunger pangs and cravings. PB has a good ratio of fat and protein. Even though it does have some carbs, some of them are fibre.

I ate PB and lost weight. You can always add some splenda if you like it sweeter. There are also recipes for low carb PB cookies on this site.

Try it and see-- just remember that it is high in calories so you can't gorge on it. Just be careful and monitor your progress.

I am a PB lover too, hence the name. (I buy an organic just peanuts kind at the grocery store.)
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Oct-01-05, 15:48
Registered Member

Plan: Whey Protein & Skim Milk
Stats: 240/150/160 Male 66 inches
BF:No Thanks!
Progress: 113%

Peanut Butter is a potential BINGE
food for me. I didn't eat it at all
til I hit goal weight and then I
started eating it like crazy as
I was using my dogs as BINGE
buddies. They love the stuff too!

I just had to finally say no to pb.
Just another in a long list of non-touchables
for this kid.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Oct-01-05, 18:21
Registered Member

Plan: Meat & Eggs
Stats: 243/206.8/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 44%

Skippy recently came out with a "Natural" PB. I have only seen the creamy style. However, what I like about it is it doesn't separate like the ones at the health food store. It says on the label, "New! No Need to Stir!"

I find that it does separate just a little bit but not much on a really hot day so I keep mine in the fridge. It has 6g carbs and 2g fiber in 2 Tablespoons. Pretty decent.

AND...it's cheaper than regular PB. Go figure.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Oct-01-05, 20:46

I looked up the natural Skippy product but couldn't find an ingredients list - although it does list sugars per serving at 3g as against Carb Options at less than 1. "Carb Options" ingredients are listed - it contains;

"INGREDIENTS: Roasted Peanuts, Peanut Oil, Soy Protein Concentrate, Salt, Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oils (Rapeseed, Cottonseed, Soybean) To Prevent Separation, Minerals (Magnesium Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Iron Phosphate, Copper Sulfate), Vitamins (Niacinamide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid), Sucralose (SplendaŽ Brand)."

- hardly a health food! (and yes they claim 3 net carbs for a tiny 31g (approx 1 ounce) serving.

The serving size brings up an important point of course - as they say;

"Does Skippy peanut butter contain trans fats?
By U.S. FDA definition, Skippy peanut butter is a trans-fat free food.

Most commercial peanut butters contain small amounts (typically less than 2%) of a partially hydrogenated fat, which prevents oil separation by helping the peanut butter "set up" a fat structure. This partially hydrogenated fat is almost totally saturated and contains only an insignificant trace amount of trans fats. "

So it only becomes a "transfat free food" because the level of transfats drops below 1g per serving - but nevertheless it may well be 2 - 3%! - this is why everything here is listed as per 100g (as well as a serving size) and it could not be advertised as trans fat free.

Cheers,

Malcolm
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Oct-01-05, 23:44

Plan: bfl
Stats: 179/119/120 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 102%

i like the all natural peanut butter
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Oct-02-05, 10:19

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

adams brand is my favorite. if you don't like the separation, just stir the oil in, then put the jar in the fridge, voila.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Oct-02-05, 10:43
Registered Member

BF:

Nutrition Facts (and ingredients) from Skippy brand Natural Peanut Butter jar:

Serving Size: 2 Tbsp
Calories 190 - (140 from fat)
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 150 mg
Total Carbs 6 g
Fiber 2 g
Sugars 3 g
Protein 8 g

Ingredients: Roasted Peanuts, Sugar, Palm Oil, Salt

And it's a LOT cheaper than the health food store brands.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Oct-02-05, 15:35

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I usually buy the Teddie's brand. Don't know if that's available other than in the Northeast. The ingredients are roasted peanuts and salt. Sounds pretty natural to me. For a 2-tablespoon serving, it's 190 calories, 16 grams fat, 7 grams carbs (minus 3 grams fiber), and 8 grams protein.

I enjoy it either spread on Wasa crackers or mixed with cream cheese and a bit of cream and Splenda for a dessert. (I also use Macadamia nut butter with the cream cheese dessert.)
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Oct-04-05, 09:22

Stats: 257/192.6/175 Male 72 inches
BF:35%/24.6%/18%
Progress: 79%

I love the fresh ground from Wild Oats or Whole Foods, but we live so far from them that we only get to go there a couple of times a year. There are a couple of good commercial brands, but it irritates the heck out of me that they are more expensive than the more processed varieties! That new Skippy would be great, but why did they have to put sugar in it? I don't mind the salt so much, nor the palm oil, but why sugar? Oh, I know...more people will buy it.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Oct-04-05, 09:53
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by avnndd
I love the fresh ground from Wild Oats or Whole Foods, but we live so far from them that we only get to go there a couple of times a year. There are a couple of good commercial brands, but it irritates the heck out of me that they are more expensive than the more processed varieties! That new Skippy would be great, but why did they have to put sugar in it? I don't mind the salt so much, nor the palm oil, but why sugar? Oh, I know...more people will buy it.

I agree, Aaron...why the sugar? Oh, that's right...more people WILL buy it.

I buy it in spite of the sugar because it is so much cheaper than the ones at health food stores and it is even cheaper than the regular PB at my store. Go figure.

I don't see why it costs so much more at the health food store. All they do is NOT add extra ingredients like sugar!!