Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-04-04, 19:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 330/330/120 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default *peeks in* Hello?

Hi there

I'm Alonda, and have heard nothing but "Atkins this" and "Atkins that" from my best and dearest friends who only had 20 or 30 pounds to lose for months. I"ve been fighting starting for a while because I honestly kept thinking to myself, "Yeah that's okay for YOU, but I have a real problem here and it's way too big for any ol' diet." Well I finally got brave and got a copy of the Atkins book and have read about half of it. I have to say I am very impressed. I sat there thinking..."Yeah! That's me!! I can DO this!". Well I have set a date to start of this coming weekend (after payday so I can stock my kitchen), and am scared spitless. I am fourth generation obese, and at 26 am close to 330 pounds. My mom was 358 when she died, and I am desperate to not get that high. I want so badly to do this...it sounds like the first real chance I have had at freedom...ever. But I won't lie...I am scared. This is a big move for me, and is the equivalent of a heroin addict going into rehab. (Are there twelve step programs for McDonald's drive-through and Chinese buffets?) I am so grateful to find this group so that I don't have to walk through this alone. I have two big motivators for my starting now. I have prediabetes, and found out I am allergic to wheat. So now is the best time for me to finally make a difference in my own life...and maybe actually find out that I am worth the trouble...but I am not sure about that now.

Thanks ya'll.
I will set up my journal soon.

Alonda
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-04-04, 19:55

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 252.4/171.2/166 Female 66 in
BF:40.74/27.63/25
Progress: 94%

Alonda,

Welcome! I'm sure you'll do wonderfully! As long as you stick to it and are very dedicated, that weight will be gone before you know it. I lost 20lbs in my first 3 weeks, for example. Of course it slowed down after that, but it was very motivating. Read through as much of the forums as you can. You'll learn a lot and I'm sure it will help keep you motivated.

You can do it and we're all here to support you!

Melissa
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-04-04, 21:36
Registered Member

Plan: My Version of M/E
Stats: 284/000/140 Female 65 inches
BF:54%/49.5%/25%
Progress: 197%

Welcome! I am also a recovering carb addict and I 'work the program' every day. I even use the slogan "one day at a time". If you are commited and honest with yourself you will get where you want to go. There will be slip ups along the way. We've all had them. The trick is to get right back on program and not use a slip as an excuse to cave in completely. Only you can do this for yourself. I have found this site to be a true gift and a major factor why I have lost the weight I have.

Post often, post honestly and read as much as you can!

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-04-04, 22:24

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 499.0/166.0/199.0 Male 75 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Welcome to the forums and the TDC!! I think you will find this a great place for support and motivation.

Best wishes as you move forward.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-04, 00:36
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Welcome! It's a very supportive little home you've stumbled upon here. I have every confidence you'll be able to reach your goals. There are many who have walked down the same path as you, even if we all started at different points.

Best of luck with your goals. And you'll be fine. Really.

#6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-04, 04:19
Queen of Bouncing

Plan: Temp - PSMF
Stats: 240/198/135 Female 63"
BF:Who Knows
Progress: 40%

Hi Alonda

Welcome to the TDC There are lots of great people here with lots of great advice! This place has been a godsend to me. We're glad to have you here and will do our best to help!

Debbie
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-04, 04:56
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

Come on in. The water (all 8 glasses a day) is fine!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-04, 05:31
~Return to Reality~

Plan: LCHF also RNY Bypass
Stats: 288.8/183.6/159 Female 5'7"
BF:I/don't/know
Progress: 81%

Welcome. Alonda!

Yes, it really does work .. have faith. I too know about the addiction to McD's drive-thru, doughnut shop drivethroughs, favourite stop-off places on the way home from work and Indian/Chinese buffets. But they can be conquered so that they are just pieces of the landscape. You will quickly find out how much better you feel -- more alert and alive!! Thanks for posting and come back often.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-04, 06:32

Plan: modified me
Stats: 274/258/199 Female 64
BF:don't want to know
Progress: 21%

Hi my name is Jess and I am a recovering carb addict. You will love the people here they are great and the advise is wonderful. Take care, I look forward to reading many post from you.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-04, 06:41

Plan: SB
Stats: 311/282/160 Female 64  inches
BF:
Progress: 19%

Welcome to your new Life of Low Carb life style !!!! Its great having new ones join in always room for one more ..... We can be successful with all the encouragement from each other ...
Stay positive and post a lot and you will receive lots of love and support on this forum!!! Hugs of Encouragement to you !!!
Hopeful
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-04, 07:36
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

Alonda, this is very do-able. I know losing over 100 lbs may seem impossible, but it's not. It will take a long time, but it can be done. There are lots of people, myself included, that have been following low carb for more than a year and have lost significant amounts of weight.

You will be amazed when you start at how your appetite diminishes and your cravings for carbs go away. It makes eating well ALMOST easy.

Good luck,
Valerie
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-04, 08:25
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Welcome to the TDC! I know it sounds almost impossible to believe this will work, but it does for most of us. Some of us lose faster and some of us lose slower -- I've lost 120 pounds but it has taken me two years -- but almost all of us see significant improvements in our health.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-04, 09:15

Plan: In Transition
Stats: 256/180/140 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 66%

A great big warm welcome to you, Alonda. You have the motivation, tools and incentive going for you. Taking your first step is the most important one. Everyone here will be happy to help in any way they can, ...just let us know what you need. I will be looking for your posts and cheering you on your journey.

Good luck.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-04, 11:04

Plan: CAD from day 1
Stats: 327/304/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Welcome Alonda!

This is a wonderful place for support and encouragement. There is lots of help available along the way!

Take care,
Tracy
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-04, 11:43

Plan: My Own
Stats: 262/235.4/170 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

welcome!!!! good luck and always remember we are here for you!!!! take care!