Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-08, 15:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 167/167/135 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 0%

Im moving to GoodYear in 2 weeks......cant wait!!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-08, 21:56

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 310/270/220 Male 6'-0"
BF:it is for now
Progress: 44%

I've lived in Phoenix since 1993. I LOVE IT! There is always something to do here and if you get tired and need a break you've got mountains to the north, Mexico to the south, the Pacific Coast to the west, and uh, more desert to the east (sorry New Mexico). I find LC'ing here very easy. Lots of restaurants and grocery stores to choose from. You can find just about anything.
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-08, 00:24

Plan: Medifast (it works!)
Stats: 203/149/150 Female 5'11" (71 inches)
BF:
Progress: 102%

Quote:
Originally Posted by locarbbarb
Hi Mel!

I love Trader Joe's. You can go to their website for the exact addresses. I know there is one in Sun City.

There is a thread here on this forum somewhere where everyone wrote what their favorite products were from TJ's.

And if you want great prime rib, go to Claim Jumper. They only serve it on Fri, Sat. and Sun after 4 PM. It's GREAT!

Welcome to AZ!

Barb

Barb, Though I couldn't find that thread, I did find a Trader Joe's off Bell by the 101. Thanks for the suggestion -- I LOVE THAT PLACE!!! Grocery store prices for health food store products?? Unbelievable!! I guess I just needed to get out more, but in Colorado and Wyoming they don't have stores like TJs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbRob
I've lived in Phoenix since 1993. I LOVE IT! There is always something to do here and if you get tired and need a break you've got mountains to the north, Mexico to the south, the Pacific Coast to the west, and uh, more desert to the east (sorry New Mexico). I find LC'ing here very easy. Lots of restaurants and grocery stores to choose from. You can find just about anything.

Rob--what stores do you shop at? I wish I could find a one stop shop -- when I lived in Colorado it was King Soopers. They carried Kroger foods, so I tried Frys, but I didn't like their selection at all. So, I go to Walmart and Safeway (and, now, Trader Joe's) to get all the different stuff I need.

We like it so far. We live at the very end of W. Greenway, literally, in Surprise. We look out our front windows and see the beautiful ragged line of the White Tank Mountains. Almost reminds us of Colorado. Just add some snow capped peaks. Subtract all the weird looking plants and dangerous desert critters. Divide the crazy temperatures in half. And, TADA! Arizona would be just like Colorado.
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-08, 01:30

I shop at Safeway for about 99% of my stuff. WalMart for my low-carb ice cream treats, K-Mart for Vermont sugar-free maple syrup, Hi-Health for my coconut oil and low-carb ketchup, occasionally Sprouts for miscellaneous veggies. I wish I could find everything in one spot, but that seems a bit much to ask. At least all the stores are relatively close to me.

I'm actually going to be in Surprise tomorrow. I'm submitting plans to the building department for the new Cricket store at Bell and Grand - about 7 miles from you.
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-08, 01:31

Duplicate post - sorry, computer is freaking out.

Last edited by LowCarbRob : Fri, Jun-06-08 at 02:55.
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-08, 01:33

Sorry again...triplicate post. I've edited it with this:

You know you're in Arizona when ...

*You no longer associate bridges (or rivers) with water.

*You can say 110 degrees without fainting.

*You eat hot chilies to cool your mouth off.

*You can make instant sun tea.

*You learn that a seat belt makes a pretty good branding iron.

*The temperature drops below 95, you feel a bit chilly.

*You discover that in July, it takes only 2 fingers to drive your car.

*You discover that you can get a sunburn through your car window.

*You notice the best parking place is determined by shade instead of distance.

*Hot water now comes out of both taps.

*It's noon in July, kids are on summer vacation, and not one person is out on the streets.

*You actually burn your hand opening the car door.

*You break a sweat the instant you step outside at 7:30 a.m. before work.

*No one would dream of putting vinyl upholstery in a car or not having air conditioning.

*Your biggest bicycle wreck fear is, "What if I get knocked out and end up lying on the pavement and cook to death?"

*You realize that asphalt has a liquid state.

Last edited by LowCarbRob : Fri, Jun-06-08 at 02:58.
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-08, 08:27

Plan: VLC
Stats: 212.2/203.2/140.0 Female 69 inches
BF:41%/41%/23%
Progress: 12%

Quote:
Sorry again...triplicate post. I've edited it with this:

You know you're in Arizona when ...

*You no longer associate bridges (or rivers) with water.

When I first moved here (Pinal Co.), I heard a story about a prisoner of war camp that was here in Phoenix during WWII -- the German officers imprisoned there got hold of a map and realized that they were close to a river -- they thought that if they could escape and make their way to the river, they could make a raft and float to freedom. So they escaped, made their way to the river, and were promptly captured. Apparently the Germans were VERY upset about the Arizona concept of "River", saying "In Germany, a river has WATER in it!"

I don't know if this story is true or not, but it's funny.

Quote:
*The temperature drops below 95, you feel a bit chilly.

This is SO true. I am headed to Pennsylvania next week to attend a graduation. I am going to pack lots of sweatshirts. If it's only 85 degrees, I need a sweatshirt!

Quote:
*You discover that in July, it takes only 2 fingers to drive your car.

***SIGH*** I just put my oven mitts into my car yesterday. It's that time of year.

FreyaAZ
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-08, 08:32

Plan: Medifast (it works!)
Stats: 203/149/150 Female 5'11" (71 inches)
BF:
Progress: 102%

Rob, that's awesome! I love the first one -- when we were house hunting in February, all the "rivers" had water flowing in them and that seemed pretty normal to us but our realtor kept saying it was abnormal. Now we see why.

I think you can add to that list -- You apply sunscreen liberally every morning.

My SO loves the fudgcicles from Safeway -- the Safeway Lucerne brand called "Watching Carbs." Though, admittedly, I love the Breyers no sugar added slow churned mint chocolate chip ice cream. None of that for me right now, I am back on induction to re-lose about 20 pounds!

Last edited by little red : Fri, Jun-06-08 at 08:43.
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-08, 16:52

Stats: 271/269/154 Female 5 feet, 6 inches
BF:43.7/..../24.9
Progress: 2%

Didn't know there was an Arizonan thread. Prescott Valley since 1997, Yavapai County since 1986.

Couple more you know you're an Arizonan:

When you have to take a cooler shopping to get the frozen food home frozen.

When you can experience 50 degree temperature changes walking from parking lot to mall. (Unfortunately, DH has trouble with that one, as he has thyroid issues. He doesn't adapt to temperature changes well.)

When a 1/2 inch snow closes schools.

When rain turns drivers into morons.

When you've ever tried a science experiment to fry an egg on the sidewalk.
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-08, 07:15
Registered Member

Plan: my own/semi low carb
Stats: 153/151/127 Female 64 inches
BF:u bet!
Progress: 8%

You know you're an Arizonan when...
even though you were sick with a fever and the flu---you NEVER got the chills!
You know you're an Arizonan when....
...you get so excited when it rains that you run to the window just to watch.
...instead of robins being a sign of the return of spring---it's the return of the vultures! (seriously! I live on the outskirts of Tucson, and every April the vultures return to the area after spending the winter in Mexico. Do they know something we don't?)
...you keep your pets inside a fenced yard or in the house at night---so they don't become coyote snacks!
...during those rare once-every-5-year winter snows you run outside to take pictures of the snow in your yard...before it melts.
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-08, 14:57

Plan: LCHF, IF
Stats: 265/205/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Bump! I moved to Phoenix in 1974. I loved it then. By now I'm here mostly from inertia. On the other hand, it's December and in the seventies, and I'm about to go outside to pull weeds.

I'm so glad to learn about Safeway's Lucerne brand Watching Carbs. Not sure I can handle that yet, just started low carbing a couple of weeks ago, but it's good to know about.

Meg
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-08, 01:57

Stats: 271/269/154 Female 5 feet, 6 inches
BF:43.7/..../24.9
Progress: 2%

And if you're an AZ LC'er desperate for a slice of bread (or something close to it), Chompie's has LC cinnamon raisin (1 net carb/slice), and whole wheat and sesame seed breads (2.5 net carb). A little pricey, but I get them at Fry's. One year, I even made Thanksgiving stuffing out of the whole wheat (tee hee).