Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#781   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-06, 21:19

Plan: meat and meat by-products
Stats: 270/191/150 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSherry
Maybe the same reason mine has been since age 25?? Genetics..

Thank GOD for hair color, lol.

Well genetics may account for it occurring at age 25, but it's aging that caused the change. If you could attribute everything to genetics, then Bear's claimed good health could be attributed to genetics, as well.
Sponsored Links
  #782   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-06, 21:27

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 167/135/127 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 80%

So glad you were not hurt in that awful storm, Bear; I saw some footage on tv, and it looked really nasty.
I have followed the all-meat diet for three weeks now, and it gets easier and easier. I eat a steak every day, very rare, quite a progress since I was eating mainly fowl and fish before. I still cook in coconut oil, but I will get organized soon and make some beef suet as per your recipe. Thank you so much for your awesome advice.
I have just one question today: how can I speed my weight loss? I am eating
1200-1400 calories a day, which is a bit below my basal metabolism requirement of 1600. On average, 70% fat to 30% protein. I have been increasing exercise intensity, as per your recommendations.
But in 3 weeks, I have only lost 1 kilo (2 lbs). If I lower calories further, will I not slow down my metabolism even more?
  #783   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-06, 21:50

Plan: zero-carb
Stats: 140/140/140 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

Losing a genuine two pounds in the first 3 weeks is a fantastic result. You need not limit your calories so much- if you are obese, you will lose at near the same rate, and some people lose faster by eating whatever amount it takes to satisfy. NO CARBS, however. It will take another 3 weeks to get you keto-adaptation up, then the loss may increase. Once you reach the proper bodyfat % for your height and sex, then to lose more you must restrict caloric content, but not until then. If '63' means 5'3", then a proper female weight for that, with about 23-25% BF should be around 95-105 pounds. At that height 145 is very chubby, 195 obese.

Perhaps you are ingesting carbs unknowingly.

Cat 5 is as strong as they come. We live in a sheltered mountain valley, and the storm was down to cat 3 when it passed by, but our road in and out is blocked with trees, and our phones are dead.

The body's pH is highly buffered, and you are very unlikely to alter it in the manner you are asking about. If you ingest a lot of organic acids, you may shift towards basic, but only very slightly and not for long. Meat, eggs and cheese can not make your body's pH shift. It is a 'vegetarian myth'. There are many of these nasty little hooks floating around pretending to be fact. Meat contains considerable combined calcium- a necessity for proper muscle metabolism- in the most highly bioavailable form- better even than hydroxyapatite (bone mineral).

I have a pretty low opinion of the so called 'paleo diet' mob. (I found it rather humorous that my thread wound up shoehorned into this category.) The form of diet the 'paleo/neanders' adhere to is a modern hunter-gatherer diet. No one knows exactly what old stone age people ate, other than there seems to have been no significant amount of vegetation of any kind- not even fruit- in their diet. We are not stone-agers of 40,000 years ago, and we need to find our food amongst what is available in the modern world, by choosing proven and effective foods, not by trying to 'reproduce' some fanciful, imaginary pre-historic diet. I can only speak of what I have 'proven' over a period of 47 years, and I will yield ground only to someone who comes forth with that kind of long term, personal ,practical hands-on experience in diet.

Buy a skillet and a hotplate. Buy a plate, knife and fork. Cooking meat is easy. Buy fresh meat at the market. Buy meat with plenty of fat ($$$), or if you can, buy trimmed lean meat ($$) and ask the butcher for some suet fat (free or $) to 'use in cooking' or to 'feed the birds'. The latter technique, buying cuts on special, can make your budget go way further than it does eating the way you currently do. Trust me on this, I did just this for man many years while going to school and while studying ballet.

Freeze the fat if can, or get it whenever you buy meat. A small electric cooler, like a Kompressor Waeco -if you have no fridge access- is a good investment.

'Roast' anything, bought pre-cooked in a restaurant or school food service- is relatively expensive compared to doing your own cooking and is basically not good for your health OR bodyfat. And, hey- take it from me- chicks love guys who can cook (and clean up afterwards).
  #784   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-06, 21:58

Plan: Human Experimentation
Stats: 170/100/105 Female 4'10
BF:
Progress: 108%

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBear
And, hey- take it from me- chicks love guys who can cook (and clean up afterwards).

YOU SAID IT!!!!
  #785   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-06, 22:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/217/140 Female 5ft. 5in.
BF:
Progress: 26%

Ok I have read the entire thread, which is growing by leaps and bounds, and I have a question that I don't think has been asked, forgive me if it has, 53 pages of posts is alot to remember. My question is this, why is it that after I ingest a high fat meal, or drink, I get extremely warm thereafter? This usually only lasts a few minuets, but I get warm enough that it is very noticable. Also I have noticed that since I have been eating strictly meats, eggs, and fat that I get really hot doing simple things. I mean sweat dripping hot, standing doing dishes or some other such activity. Why is that? Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

Bear thank you for this post, it has made alot of sense to me.
  #786   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-06, 22:27

Plan: the one that works for me
Stats: 220/214/180 Female tall
BF:
Progress: 15%

Hi Bear, have you heard of Vince Gironda? He was a body building guru who trained Arnold. He wrote The Wild Physique (now out of print) and was very adamant on eating the way you do. He was often called too 'defined' by judges in bodybuilding competitions.
  #787   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-06, 22:28

BF:
Progress:

Yes, this thread has grown like the mythic Topsy.

I have no idea about feeling warm after a fat meal. I think it is probably due to some other cause, unrelated to eating... like standing over a sink of hot water... But I must admit to not knowing of any cause- or of any other case.

It is very common to flush with warmth after ingesting sweets or sugary drinks, since the body produces some waste heat during glucose to fat conversion, but fatty zero-carb meals are- to me at least, heat-neutral or cooling.
  #788   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-06, 22:34

BF:
Progress:

Vince Gironda was Arnold's coach- his idea of a power-drink was like mine, milk-protein powder, eggs and heavy cream. Vince insisted that you could not develop any significant muscle mass on a low fat regime, and of course- he was right.
  #789   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-06, 22:55
OOOOOOOOOH YEAH!

Plan: High Fat/IF
Stats: 215/170/160 Male 5 feet 10 inches
BF:27%/12%/8%
Progress: 82%

Gironda was only 50+ years ahead of his time in most aspects.

I have his Wild Physique book, plus some of his training courses, and there are many GEMS in there....

His «Ultimate Definition Diet»: «The only foods allowed are meats, fish, eggs, butter and cream...all carbohydrates must be removed»

One thing on which I do not agree with him is concerning the need for a carb meal every 4 days while on a zero-carb regime to «replenish glycogen».
  #790   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-06, 22:56

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Let us not forget that Arnold took lots of steroids.
  #791   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-06, 23:51

BF:
Progress:

Actually, at the time he trained at Gironda's gym, his steroid use was very mild, just oral Dianabol, a relatively weak anabolic. 'Monster-maker' drugs came later- and he then turned into a huge, truly freaky mass of muscle. In any event, a proper diet is even more important if anabolics are to be used while training. Most steroid-taking pros have a truly bad idea of what a proper diet for muscle mass development is if you can believe the bodybuilding magazines. I do not know how they do it. A superhuman tolerance to massive amounts of weird drugs, I reckon.

If you can find a first edition (white cover) of Arnold's bodybuilding book, he talks quite frankly about steroids, but edited it out for the second edition (black cover).

After being Reagan's fitness advisor, he figured it was not PC to have just the original book floating around and edited a new sanitised edition to release just before his run for governor of CA. As for PC, if you can find a copy of the classic movie Pumping Iron, check out what they pass around after the competition... So much for hypocrisy in politics... Did Bill C REALLY not inhale?
  #792   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-06, 23:54

BF:
Progress:

Of course. Gironda believed in the then current myth of glycogen-depletion, it is still current amongst the supplement-maker-owned bodybuilding magazines, which make the most money off of selling carby protein drinks.

Careful research has shown that glycogen is not depleted during exercise.

Last edited by theBear : Mon, Mar-20-06 at 23:57. Reason: spell
  #793   ^
Old Tue, Mar-21-06, 01:20
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%
Default no useful information

I'm glad this thread was started and grateful for your shared knowledge and experience Bear!!!
  #794   ^
Old Tue, Mar-21-06, 02:26

Plan: atkins induction
Stats: 330/330/165 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hey Bear,
Just thought i would tell you my brother would be completely jealous to know i am talking to you. He is a dead head! He followed the grateful dead around for years and lived out of his car eating bologna!! lol His daughters rooms is decorated with the dancing Bears and other Dead stuff!
I went googling and was surprised to find you in wikipedia. There is alot about you out there on the net, and i found out about your Grandpa the politician too!
i was impressed to find out that songs about you were written not only by the Dead but by Steely Dan and Frank Zappa too!
The one thing i can't seem to find is a picture of you! i am still searching..lol
I'm telling my brother you told me how to make mayo..he he!!
karen
  #795   ^
Old Tue, Mar-21-06, 02:50
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear
Careful research has shown that glycogen is not depleted during exercise.
I would greatly appreciate links to this research.

Last edited by dane : Tue, Mar-21-06 at 03:20. Reason: typo
Closed Thread