Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-08, 10:43

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-08, 12:30

Plan: Low Carb - High Nutrition
Stats: 213/175/175 Male 72 Inches
BF: Belly Fat? Yes!
Progress: 100%

With all of this talk about potatoes, yesterday I skipped breakfast and went to a restaurant and ordered mashed potatoes with beef gravy. Tasted great and this morning, I’d lost 1.2 pounds overnight. Perhaps their not so bad after all?

Bo
  #108   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-08, 12:36
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBoGuy
With all of this talk about potatoes, yesterday I skipped breakfast and went to a restaurant and ordered mashed potatoes with beef gravy. Tasted great and this morning, I’d lost 1.2 pounds overnight. Perhaps their not so bad after all?

Bo

Maybe you would've lost 2.2 pounds if you hadn't eaten the potatoes?
  #109   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-08, 14:14
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

I've eaten regular chocolate cake and lost weight the next morning. Fortunately for my health I didn't let "all the eating that came before" seem irrelevant compared to the eating only of the night before LOL. Aside from which the Leptin uptake after a period of real low carb is probably a little of that fairly common phenomenon (can I call it a phenomenon if it is fairly common??).

PJ
  #110   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-08, 18:04

Plan: Low Carb - High Nutrition
Stats: 213/175/175 Male 72 Inches
BF: Belly Fat? Yes!
Progress: 100%
Default How to Do a Potato Fast

How to Do a Potato Fast for Weight Loss
By eHow Health Editor

Step1
Choose potatoes that are organically grown, small in size, but heavy for their size. Avoid potatoes with skin discolorations such as dark brown or green spots.

Step2
Eat only potatoes, morning, noon and night, for two to four days. Eat them baked, mashed, steamed, roasted, and juiced, but never fried.

Step3
Season your potatoes with chives, mint, cumin, turmeric, fennel, caraway, paprika, dill, nutmeg, rosemary and fresh garlic. Use potato juice or herbal teas to aid in making mashed potatoes, but never add milk.

Step4
Leave the skins on the potatoes. The skins account for over 75% of the potato's mineral value.

Step5
Drink plenty of water and herbal teas. Use potato peels to make tea. Or make herbal teas to target specific ailments you may be dealing with. While your body is fasting it is particularily available to other treatments you may induce. Corn silk tea, burdock, nettle, yarrow, and dandelion root tea are all excellent teas to make during a potato fast.

Step6
Utilize an internal bath or enema at the end of your fast to help clear your colon of toxins.

Step7
Break your fast by adding fruits and vegetables to your diet of potatoes for a full day before introducing other foods.

Realize that potatoes are not fattening. Gravy, sour cream, salsa, bacon bits and butter are fattening.

http://www.ehow.com/how_12677_potato-fast-weight.html

Last edited by BoBoGuy : Wed, Sep-17-08 at 19:03.
  #111   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-08, 19:58

Plan: tasty animals with butter
Stats: 170/115/110 Female 60"
BF:maintaining
Progress: 92%

Now THAT is a "fad" diet. I went on a similar "potato" diet in 1992 and gained 25 pounds. Potatoes all the time. Yum. I thought it would slim me down before my wedding. Don't know which was worse, the weight gain or the extreme monotony of eating potatoes all day long washed down with potato tea. Better than the grapefruit diet (pucker up, pal!), but far worse than the saltine diet. At least I could put a little butter on those saltine crackers (ummm... crispy paste with butter).

Are there any nutrients in those fad diets? I can't imagine how one could starve their body of essential fats, protein, and nutrients, but I did. I may still be a few pounds overweight, but I'd rather be that and eat lots of beautfiful classic meat dishes (Veal Picatta, Steak Diane, Lobster & butter, etc) AND have low TAG & high HDL; than eat that utter monotonous, insulin-raising, heart-disease-causing, nutrient deficient, yuk food.
Oh I did a V8 diet as well. And a Banana diet. And a DOVE bar diet...And the Lynne Fischer NO Cholesterol Diet, etc....

I'd say that out of all those diets I enjoyed the DOVE bar diet the best.
  #112   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-08, 21:17
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

The DOVE bar diet? Now there's an oxymoron, LOL!