Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 10:19
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

The thing I got from the show was a new perspective on myself. I am very overweight! I weigh the same as Lisette but could never see myself as being that heavy. I am very short so I'm sure I'm not carrying it better. My only mirror is a top half but when I stand back I can finally see that role of fat on my lower abs and my large size hips. It also inspires me to see how hard they are working out. I think it would be fun to work out with a group like that and a trainer. I am surprised also that they don't take into account muscle growth.
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 10:30
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 315/274/175 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

when i first saw the show, my guesses for these peoples weights were soooo much higher. none of the women were even NEAR what i weigh. some of them are on the shorter side, but still it really put it in perspective for me too. i am even huger than i thought!!
  #108   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 10:58

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

I don't watch the show, I can't watch those types of shows, they really offend me. But my GF watches it with her flatmate and they really like it.

About the women's looking large at their weights, keep two things in mind: 1) The camera adds the appearance of more weight, and 2) As low-carbers, our muscle to fat ratio is probably a lot higher than theirs. When I started losing weight doing low-carb, I was amazed at how fast the sizes came down. Before, when I had lost the same amount of weight doing low-fat, my size changed very slowly, if at all, for the same amount of weight lost. On low-carb, we tend to maintain or gain muscle mass while losing fat mass, whereas, on low-fat, they lose at least as much muscle mass as fat mass even with exercise. If you don't feed your body what it needs to build muscle, no amount of exercising is going to build it up.
  #109   ^
Old Thu, Oct-28-04, 05:26
based on real events

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 198.5/190.5/135 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 13%

I didn't watch the second one, can someone give me a quick run through? I.E> how much weight did they lose this week? A normal amount like 1-2lbs?

The show is SO off, I agree with all of you. Sad Sad Sad, as it does reinforce all those WRONG beliefs both to fat people and those others I mean how realistic is it too exercise ALL day for the rest of your life?? We all knew they wouldn't lose the same amount this week, even if they were exercising all day and night. They must have known too, surely ??
  #110   ^
Old Thu, Oct-28-04, 07:04

Stats: 155/108/110 Female 64 inches
BF:33%/25%/22%
Progress: 104%

Hey, wickedways. I think they have an "encore" presentation of each show later in the week (Check the website at nbc.com), but here is the rundown

Weight loss was MINIMAL--blue team beat red team, but I think blue team lost only like 11 pounds total.

The "challenge" was a bake sale where the teams had to bake all the goodies themselves, without eating anything--or even licking their fingers--and then go out to hawk the goods at a local market. It was weird bcs one of the voice-overs said that they were selling peanut butter brownies for like 20 dollars apiece!? Didn't explain how they managed that. The team who sold more (got more money from the sales) got to choose which Red team member's weight loss would be eliminated from the total this week (since the teams are uneven)...red team won and chose to eliminate Lizzeth's weight loss.

And wow. Lizzeth lost nothing. Almost everyone lost nothing (including Maurice), and that guy on the red team (25 years old, gay, kinda sweet-seeming kid) GAINED 3 lbs. He broke down and wept on the scale.

Then the red team had to vote someone off. It was between Dave (the lazy bald guy) and Lizzeth (who had been getting up early before everyone else and running miles, but who was the smallest member of the team). there was an ugly scene with the voting, when Ryan (flippant obnoxious guy, don't know how else to describe him) pretended he was going to vote off Dave, but instead revealed Lizzeth's name and laughed at her when she started to cry. She got the majority of the votes off (3 to 2 I think) and had to leave. The update showed that she had lost 9 more pounds since leaving, and had gotten her family into a more healthy way of eating and exercising.

The most striking thing about this week's episode was that the lack of weight loss really startled the teams--they were discouraged and shocked and just couldn't believe it. No one had prepared them for the fact that their first week's huge losses were water/glycogen from the liver, and that anything from here on in would be real fat. The male trainer did mention something about it when consoling the blue team after the weigh-in, but I think no one had warned any of them beforehand. You want to shake them and say, "You lost 20 lbs in 2 weeks! Stop complaining!" but it was clear that all of these people were naive to dieting, and just had no idea what to expect. And never was it mentioned that muscles must be swelling with all the exercise, and taking on some weight to offset the fat loss. The male trainer did say that inches and bodyfat were more important goals than the scale number, and that he was "not in a sprint, but a marathon," meaning that he wanted these folks to change their lives, not just lose weight rapidly. So someone has a brain on that show. The red team trainer might have said stuff like that too, but if she did it was edited out...and I bet she didn't, evil little witch (I don't like her)

So...that's the recap.

Lucy
  #111   ^
Old Thu, Oct-28-04, 07:55
Registered Member

Stats: 212/188/140 Female 5'10"
BF:BMI 30.4/27.1/19
Progress: 33%

I weigh as much as or more than some of the women on the show, but I am smaller than they are (and taller, too) because I have a lot of muscle mass from my body building days. I agree with nawchem -- they don't seem to be considering muscle gain in their weigh-ins.
  #112   ^
Old Thu, Oct-28-04, 13:35
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 315/274/175 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

wickedways, they go into major details of what happened on the website. http://www.nbc.com/The_Biggest_Loser/
they also give the menus and excercise plans, etc.
  #113   ^
Old Thu, Nov-04-04, 20:25

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I was busy doing kid stuff around here and missed the show -- what happened?!!?!?
  #114   ^
Old Fri, Nov-05-04, 03:54
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/272.0/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

We didn't get to watch it this week here because of the election coverage. It will probably be back next week.

Beth
  #115   ^
Old Wed, Dec-08-04, 10:31
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Is anyone still watching this? - I fell asleep before the end last night and don't know who got voted off
  #116   ^
Old Wed, Dec-08-04, 10:51

Stats: 155/108/110 Female 64 inches
BF:33%/25%/22%
Progress: 104%

KoKo, I put an answer in your journal.

Lucy