Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 22:02

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 255/230/140 Female 5'6
BF:63%
Progress: 22%
Default Chinese food....is it ok to eat?

I love chinese food. I realize much of it is covered with sauces and other not so good stuff, but I know some is not bad. The PP book and my carb counter give very general suggestions in regards to eating this type of food. I am worried if there is any sauce on my food at all I won't be able to eat . Tonite I got Mu Shu Pork (sans pancakes and hoisin sauce) and they don't use a sauce on it, but I could tell there was soy and maybe a bit of sherry. I am not sure if this fits in or not, or any other chinese/asian food for that matter.
Is any type of chinese really allowed?

Robin
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 08:55

Plan: Low-Cal - good carbs
Stats: 235/229/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Hi Robin

Many of the sauces contain sugar and/ or cornstarch. They contain sugnificant amounts of carbs - so does any breading. I usually eat Chinese at a place with an awesome buffet. I forego the rice and soup completely and stick with entrees that are not breaded or sweet. I drain as much of the sauce off as I can.

I have found it is difficult to get my minimim protein at a Chinese restuarant.

I do stir-fry a lot at home - with chicken breast chunks marinaded in various home-made sauces - olive or peanut oil for frying and only a little soy sauce. I use extra veggies to make up for the lack of rice. When I'm feeding non-LCers, I serve rice and a sauce on the side so they can have traditional Chinese.

Orang
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 17:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 226.5/193.0/185 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 81%

Ahhh sooo grasshopper! I eat at Chinese buffets as well but pick the ones with the big round wok in the middle. You can then choose from the raw veg/meat bins what you want in it. I choose lots of shrimp, chicken and veggies mixed with just a touch of whatever sauce you like and let them fry it fresh. Probably not on the diet, but if I want more flavor I put a little hot and sour soup broth over it. I eat the mussels, seafood and fish as well. Usually bloats me a bit and makes me thirsty for a day but I have really not stopped weight loss by eating it once a month or so.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 04:34

Plan: Low-Cal - good carbs
Stats: 235/229/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Bayrat,

I wish we had those type of buffets here - I live near Appalachia in the US - there are places I can order bear meat or venison steak, but Chinese buffets don't give me that kind of leeway here. There a few Japanese restaurants in the 'big city' 30 or so miles away where that might be an option. Do you ever eat Mexican food? I love it, but have only found one dish - a meaty taco salad without most of the bowl - that I can eat on plan (note you are on Atkins so even part of the bowl may not be OK for you. )

Last edited by Orang : Wed, Oct-29-03 at 04:48.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 16:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 226.5/193.0/185 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 81%

Orang,

Your location sounds great! I have not ventured into Mexican food, I love it and therefore would really bust my diet if I gave in. I guess your option is what you currently do, make it at home, it is easy enough to do and probably eliminates those questions about what is really in it .
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 18:15

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi, Robin! It's me, Gradycat!

When I do Chinese, I usually stick with one egg roll and an order of teriyaki beef strips. The meat can't have soaked up that much of the marinade, so I figure it's probably lower in carbs. Yes, the egg roll is major, but then again we get Chinese about once every couple months.

As for Mexican, I often saute either chicken strips or beef strips in some olive oil, and then add a package of dry fajita seasoning and a little water. Then I eat it over lettuce with shredded cheese and a dollop of sour cream. People can't believe I'm losing weight eating like that!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 07:35

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 255/230/140 Female 5'6
BF:63%
Progress: 22%

MMMM you guys are making me hungry

Hi Gradycat.....didn't know you came here I have been going to many forums, trying to find a few that I can call home

That mexican dish sounds delish...actually, I went to a mexican restaurant the other day. I ate 10 chips (10 ECC), and the meat and peppers/onions (I know the veggies had a few carbs in them also). I did not touch the tortillas ,and told them to hold the rice/beans! Now that was control!

Robin
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 12:15

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 450/348/225 Male 72 inches
BF:UGH!
Progress: 45%

For Chinese- If I don't make my own... I gop for egg foo young (with verrry little, if any of the sauce)
Another good choice is roast pork with beansprouts-the "sauce" is basically all soy sauce & juices from the sprouts-nothing sweet, not thickener