Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-05-17, 11:39

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Gluten-free diet should not be eaten by people who are not coeliac, say scientists

Quote:
From The Telegraph
London, UK
2 May, 2017

Gluten-free diet should not be eaten by people who are not coeliac, say scientists

Gluten-free diets should not be encouraged among people who do not have coeliac disease, scientists have said.

Gluten is a protein found in wheat, rye and barley and gives food a chewy texture and elasticity during the baking process.

Around one per cent of Britons are genuinely gluten-intolerant, and face a string of debilitating symptoms including vomiting, nerve problems, anaemia, inflammation and an increased risk of coronary heart disease.

However some estimates put the proportion of adults adhering to gluten-free diets in the UK at more than 12 per cent, many believing that it is better for the heart.

Researchers at Harvard University looked at data from nearly 120,000 people over 26 years and found that going gluten-free did not cut the risk of heart disease.

And they warned that restricting dietary gluten may result in a low intake of whole grains, which are known to be beneficial for the heart.

“The popularity of a low gluten or gluten-free diet in the general population has markedly increased in recent years,” said Dr Andrew Chan, of Harvard Medical School and Massachusetts General Hospital in the BMJ.

“However these findings underscore the potential that people who severely restrict gluten intake may also significantly limit their intake of whole grains, which may actually be associated with adverse cardiovascular outcomes

“The promotion of gluten-free diets among people without coeliac disease should not be encouraged.”

The UK “free from” market is growing rapidly and expected to be worth £550 million by 2019.

Market analysis Mintel claim that in 2015 12 per cent of new food products launched in the UK carried a gluten-free claim, up from 7 per cent in 2011.

Last year Catherine collins, the chairman of the British Association of Dieticians, said the dramatic increase in people opting for free from diets was partly down to the rise of celebrity food bloggers such as Gwyneth Paltrow, and “clean eating” gurus such as Jasmine and Melissa Hemsley, as well as a new culture of posting photographs of food on social media.

However a recent study by Harvard also suggested that ingesting only small amounts of gluten, or avoiding it altogether, increases the danger of diabetes by as much as 13 per cent.

The authors point out that the new research is only an observational study, so no firm conclusions can be drawn about cause and effect.

However they warn that “promotion of gluten-free diets for the purpose of coronary heart disease prevention among asymptomatic people without coeliac disease should not be recommended.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/...say-scientists/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-05-17, 11:47

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:

We live in an idiotic world.

Jean
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-05-17, 12:36

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
However a recent study by Harvard also suggested that ingesting only small amounts of gluten, or avoiding it altogether, increases the danger of diabetes by as much as 13 per cent.

Or as little as not at all.

Observational studies are treated like they're gold. We don't have 20 year double-blind studies after all, to show long term effects of various interventions. All we have are a continually increasing list of protocols that seem to reverse or at least put type 2 diabetes into remission within months or sometimes even weeks.

Idiotic is right, diabetes as a gluten deficiency disease is going nowhere fast, no plausibility here.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-05-17, 16:58

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

It increased the risk of diabetes only because people replaced the gluten grainy foods with other grainy foods that were even worse. Try no grainy foods. How is whole grain supposed to be "good for the heart" anyway? The heart is fueled by saturated fat. It doesn't use whole grains for anything. Grains can be inflammatory so can help mess up the blood vessels leading to the heart. That, good for heart? Huh?
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-06-17, 07:40

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I suppose they would make me, with a gluten sensitivity, eat those hearthealthywholegrains, and tell me I was imagining the resulting stomach-on-fire effect.

Celiacs do have health problems, but it is from their challenged digestion; not a lack of whole grains!

What, the fact that you have celiac changed your genetic profile so you don't NEED those whole grains anymore, like everyone else so much does...

This is PR thinking, not science.

Last edited by WereBear : Sat, May-06-17 at 08:23.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-08-17, 13:26

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Gluten-free diets are a dangerous sham

Hmmm, okay. I get google pushing me articles "of interest" on my phone every day, and I often look at them as many actually are of interest. But this past week I have been pushed articles about the heinous dangers of gluten-free diets every day, popping up all over the place on numerous websites as everyone seems to want to jump on the bandwagon. Examples:
http://nypost.com/2017/05/03/gluten...dangerous-sham/
Quote:
Gluten-free diets don’t just ruin dinner parties — they can be bad for your health, too.

According to a new study from Harvard University and Massachusetts General Hospital, published this week in the BMJ, gluten-free diets should be discouraged (in non-celiac patients) because limiting healthy whole grains can lead to major heart problems.

The study, which surveyed 64,714 women and 45,303 men for 24 years, found that people who restrict glutensignificantly limit their intake of whole grains, which may actually be associated with adverse cardiovascular outcomes.”

Gluten-free diets have morphed into an obnoxious trend after products geared toward those with celiac disease — a gastrointestinal disorder possibly exacerbated by the intake of wheat, barley and all manner of delicious carbs — began lining supermarket shelves.

or: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/...say-scientists/
Quote:
Researchers at Harvard University looked at data from nearly 120,000 people over 26 years and found that going gluten-free did not cut the risk of heart disease.

And they warned that restricting dietary gluten may result in a low intake of whole grains, which are known to be beneficial for the heart...However these findings underscore the potential that people who severely restrict gluten intake may also significantly limit their intake of whole grains, which may actually be associated with adverse cardiovascular outcomes

“The promotion of gluten-free diets among people without coeliac disease should not be encouraged
Apparently the authors of the study themselves say:
Quote:
The authors point out that the new research is only an observational study, so no firm conclusions can be drawn about cause and effect.
but of course this is not how it's being presented. They present it more like "Danger! Danger! Give up gluten and you will die!"

I've seen so many articles about this pushed to me this week I was surprised no one else had mentioned it. One more bit of "evidence" our friends and family can shove at us to yell us how we are killing ourselves!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-09-17, 10:59

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

I don't think these "scientists" live in the real world. No grains at all helps my bg stay lower. Of course, the ADA would say I really need healthywholegrains.

My husband gave up breads at home to help me & found out it helped him. He's not diabetic, nor does he have celiac disease, but he quickly noticed that eating bready things constipated him. He'd been struggling with that for most of his life & simply not eating breads & adding a little more fat has helped him so much.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-10-17, 20:21

BF:

Anyone looked at Dr. Steven Gundry's new book "The Plant Paradox" that just came out? The bran of whole grains is full of lectins, which are proteins put there by the plant to discourage you from eating it by making you sick. If one must insist on eating grains, white flour/rice is actually better due to less lectins. Who would have known? And I highly recommend the book. It's excellent for how to fix the gut microbiome and get rid of inflammation.

Last edited by Zei : Wed, May-10-17 at 20:49.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-10-17, 20:28

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

When you think about it, maybe that's why civilized man began milling the grains and removing the husks.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-11-17, 07:27
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Don't blame the scientists, blame the idiots interpreting the science (poorly trained, biased science reporters). From what I read it was because the gluten-free products were worse in terms of starches and sugars than the things they're replacing.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-29-17, 11:59

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.6/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

l'm celiac and thus must necessarily eat gluten free. I remember when I first got a solid diagnosis in 2009, I thought all the gluten free goodies starting to appear in the marketplace were incredible because when my mother was diagnosed celiac in 1967, there was absolutely nothing in the way of gluten free or even gluten identified foods available to her. She had to eat a purely natural food diet, nothing processed, and gluten was hidden in all sort of food items such as mayonnaise and ice cream! However, what I soon found out was that the "gluten free" foods (processed things, more specifically pastry/cookie type things) actually made me sicker than the "real" gluten foods. It was all the starches and sugars, and I've learned I can't eat any of that stuff, nor can I handle other grains (especially corn). Perhaps it's those lectins mentioned above. The bad thing is how much of a "fad" eating gluten free has become, with the result that many people don't take it all that seriously, like it's just a diet and weight loss type fad but they don't always realize gluten can make certain people very sick. I was in a restaurant recently and asked about a gluten free menu. What I was handed was a "gluten reduced" menu. Yikes, the ignorance out there about gluten is astounding.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-29-17, 12:11

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:

I have not been diagnosed as celiac but I can't eat gluten containing products without getting sick. Just because the official medical establishment hasn't identified something as a bona fide "disease" doesn't mean that the person suffering doesn't have a bona fide problem. I eat a diet of single ingredient "natural" foods. Gluten, dairy, soy (and other legumes), eggs, chicken and beef are the foods I can not eat. I don't need a doctor's stamp of approval to know the difference between having a life and never being able to leave the house. I did get testing done at Enterolab to determine these sensitivities and following the results of that testing I have greatly improved my health. Lots of doctors would dismiss Enterolab tests as being not bona fida also but conventional medicine was not able to help me at all and Enterolab combined with my own research did. So be it. Most of us here know that doctors are not the best resource for all health problems.

Jean
  #13   ^
Old Mon, May-29-17, 21:43

BF:

Quote:
Gluten, dairy, soy (and other legumes), eggs, chicken and beef are the foods I can not eat.

Something I learned from the above mentioned book by Dr. Gundry is that all these foods either contain harmful lectins if plants or if animal/bird product raised conventionally were fed them (corn, soy etc.) so that the harmful lectins are incorporated into their bodies, eggs, milk etc. Grains, legumes (includes peanuts/cashews as well as beans/soy) and members of the nightshade family (potato, eggplant, tomato, peppers, goji berry etc.) seem to be the big time offenders when it comes to toxic lectins as well as products of animals fed these things. Since reading that book I've been working hard at cleaning up my eating in ways I had never realized before could be problematic like products from animals better fed (unfortunately $$ but how much $ is one's health worth?) and ditching peanut butter, tomatoes, etc. My dad had problems with tomatoes when I was a kid. He assumed it was the acidity. Maybe, but now I realize it could be the lectins.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, May-30-17, 04:07

Plan: MyOwn:CHO<90g/d
Stats: 207/149/150 Male 169 cm
BF:40%/17%/18%
Progress: 102%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Don't blame the scientists, blame the idiots interpreting the science (poorly trained, biased science reporters).

As is typical with these types of newspaper health related articles they never provide an actual reference to the research. But if we could see the relevant publication I wouldn't mind betting that the scientists involved have links to the grain industry.
The grain industry is starting to get nervous about consumers shunning their products. Low carbers are hurting their sales but so is the anti-gluten brigade. This newspaper article is just a fight-back attempt. The headline could just as easily have read:
"Low Carb Diets should not be eaten by people who are not carbohydrate intolerant"
(or to paraphrase, Even though you are healthy today please keep eating our 'healthy' grains until metabolic mayhem takes over and prevents you because in the meantime our sales department needs you to keep buying our products)

But I doubt we will ever see that headline because they will never want to admit that there is actually such a thing as carbohydrate intolerance.

Last edited by Bintang : Tue, May-30-17 at 04:15.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, May-30-17, 05:30

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Yeah. I now recognize Propaganda better, from whatever source.