Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-18, 18:43
Registered Member

Plan: Keto + IF
Stats: 260/300/165 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: -42%
Default How To Be Patient With Weight Loss

How do you do it because I don't know.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-18, 19:58

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

One day at a time.

Forgive myself when I slip up and get back on plan immediately.

Have a goal--like a weight,

Play the 5 lb challenge.

Create a 90 day good habit --another challenge.

And yes, I still want the weight off NOW, not in 10 months, but in two.......but that is not reasonable, 40-50 pounds in a month is not possible and not safe. Not sustainable. Eating correctly everyday IS sustainable, and I will arrive when I arrive. ANd have gained better health along the way.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-18, 22:41
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Used to be 165, doubt it's possible now I am not 19. You take comfort in the truth that the more you have to lose the faster it comes off and go from there. At some point fasting helps too, but it's usually 3 steps forward and two steps back.
Example:
Went on vacation, got quite sick (adenovirus cough) sprained my ankle and gained 15 pounds from all the food, inactivity and drink
Went back on low-carb on Memorial day, haven't been really strict either and am down 9 pounds today according to the scale. BP is still up but going down. My FBS is as good as it was or better at 98 post P BS is in the 80's

Once completely "keto adapted" you likely possess a permanent tool that's a powerful health hack. Only thing different this time: taking Omega 3-6-9 plus Alive! Men's 50+ Vitamins.

Last edited by mike_d : Wed, Jun-13-18 at 07:07.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-18, 00:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/262/205 Male 6' 1
BF:waaay tooo much
Progress: 26%

How?

You don't focus on that; you focus on doing the correct things every day and creating new habits.

The end result will come because of the steps you take every day...focus on that.

I always say "...next year is coming whether I ate right or not..."

I've learned that lesson over and over and over again.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-18, 01:03

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Time flies when you're having fun. Learn how to get the most out of your new WOE. Find new foods that you might not have considered for whatever reason previously, but may be suitable now. Maybe you didn't like them before, but maybe there's another way of having them that allows you to fit them into your diet. For me, that was avocados; I could never find a way to enjoy them until I learned how to make a smoothie, using some sugar-free drinking chocolate for a bit of flavour.

Never stop learning. Read books, scientific articles, blogs and forums. Listen to podcasts. Watch videos of interviews, documentaries and other presentations. Soak up as much knowledge as you can handle. I've bought several books in the last couple of years, am currently working through two of them and have another lined up next.

Write about what you've learned. Maybe keep it to yourself in the form of a diary. Maybe write about it online in the form of a journal here, or even start your own blog. Exchange information with user groups, be it forums, social media or wherever you feel comfortable. I started my journal here about 5 months into my initial weight loss journey, and it was exactly what I needed to help me maintain momentum for the rest of the way. Even now - having maintained my loss for almost a year and a half - I'm finding new and still-relevant adventures to write about.

Finally if you can't have fun with it, at least stay busy. Give yourself plenty to do at work, maybe pick up some other unrelated hobby at home or elsewhere to keep your mind from drifting. Don't give yourself as many opportunities to think about your weight and it won't stand out as such an issue for you.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-18, 01:12

You know...one thing to do is this; stop making food (or dieting) the focus of your life. Before, we were slaves of food...talking about it...obsessing over it...being miserable over it...whatever. It was the focus of our life.

Now, you have a new way of eating that's simple; keep the carbs to "X" level, eat real food.

Now you can enjoy your actual life, you can LIVE!

Spend your time doing things...taking trips...doing your hobby...

Food is now just something to enjoy and keep you from dying...it's not the central focus of your life.

Fill that void (that dieting used to fill) with something else.

I noticed that when I low carb for any length of time, food loses it's special status.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-18, 02:28

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Kristie Sullivan posted a .pdf of the first form from her new book you could complete. Know Your Why. https://cookingketowithkristie.com/...-know-your-why/
Any time you lose patience with the rate of weight loss, pull this out read the other reasons you are eating this way, add new reasons as you progress. When I started it was all about weight loss, and after reading Taubes, had decided low carb was better for long term cancer prevention. So I was quite surprised in one month that much of my worse joint pain was disappearing, along with allergic skin rashes. Who knew? As I focused more on the health benefits, some quite unexpected , I had more patience for slow weight loss.

Kristie writes Inspirational posts at DietDoctor, here is the best one on having patience with weight loss. She has many others there on similar topics, many of her essays are in the new book too.

Quote:
It’s about the low-carb journey

Our low-carb journey is very similar. We become anxious over the weight loss we monitor on the scales, or the inches that we don’t lose quickly enough. We overly fixate on the goal because we all want to arrive at our destination as quickly as possible.

It is the drive, the journey that matters most. The destination will be there. Some folks may arrive 15 minutes earlier than they expected, and some arrive 30 minutes later than they wanted to. The most significant thing to remember is that if you stop the journey, you will NEVER arrive.

You can obsess over weighing and measuring, but most folks make progress simply by controlling their level of carbohydrate intake and eating real, whole foods that they enjoy. Eating low carb does not mean that you have to be unreasonably hungry or exercise several hours each day. I eat the best foods of my life, and they are high fat and satisfying. The food is delicious and the journey is fun.

More at https://www.dietdoctor.com/its-the-journey

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Jun-13-18 at 02:42.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-18, 06:22

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

You can choose to drive yourself crazy with impatience or you can decide to just relax and enjoy the journey. We see these dramatic headlines, complete with photographs, "man loses 200 pounds in 6 month" and say "Ya, that's what I want" but is it realistic? A headline about my weight loss would be "woman lose 125 pounds in 15 years." The weight may have come off more slowly than people tend to want but maintaining this weight loss has been a breeze and along the way, over the years, the health benefits just kept piling up. Success is not just measured by what the scale says. It is possible to be successful even when the scale doesn't move. Don't worry. Be happy.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-18, 06:35

One thing; during the time I low carbed for 4.5 years I never thought that I was close enough to goal; I still had 15 lbs left to go and saw myself as fat.

Recently I saw a picture of myself at that "not quite there" weight and said "wow! I'm thin!!!"

It's perspective, we lose it sometimes while trying to lose weight.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-18, 06:36
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

How To Be Patient With Weight Loss?

I know when I was in weight loss mode, I always thought (and still think) about the alternative = if Imma not LCing I'll be back up to at least 265 lbs + and I ain't got time for that at my age!

rpavich's statement "stop making food (or dieting) the focus of your life" really resonated with me b/c I no longer spends hours upon hours obsessing about my next "carb-age" laden meal. Truly one of the benefits of my WOE!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-18, 06:42

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo
rpavich's statement "stop making food (or dieting) the focus of your life" really resonated with me b/c I no longer spends hours upon hours obsessing about my next "carb-age" laden meal. Truly one of the benefits of my WOE!

Absolutely. I am the opposite of a foodie. I know how to eat so I no longer have to think much about it. I stick with the program and no longer obsess about food, wanting it, buying it, cooking it, what to have, what not to have, how much, how little, am I doing it right. I spent time learning how to eat for health and weight loss and now it's easy and doesn't consume my days.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-18, 07:12
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
Absolutely. I spent time learning how to eat for health and weight loss and now it's easy and doesn't consume my days.
Yes! once you know the secret you find real foods you can eat and really begin to crave that more than all the junk you used to

EAT this NOT that
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-18, 08:42

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Billy, what you are feeling is normal. It part of the process....use that impatience to LEARN about this way of eating. Where to find info is the MOST important as you cant possible know everything all at once.

It is like earning a PhD...... years in the doing and learning......and all your professors are here on this forum ready to support you, provide you with information and great sources to read...... and YOU do the work.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-18, 09:41

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyHW
How do you do it because I don't know.

Step One: Put scale in closet for one year
Step Two: Follow your eating plan for one year, no deviations
Step Three: Take scale out of closet in one year and step on it
Step Four: Profit!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-18, 10:16

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

My steps are a bit different from Thud's.

1 Weight everyday, but try not to give a rat's ^&**&!.
2 Same as Thud, follow eating plan diligently.
3 After some months, if the scale hasn't moved, decide whether or not you care. If you do, change something.

Sometimes I'll honestly diet down not so much because I want to lose more weight, but because I'm curious what the effect of eating a certain way will be. That's the case currently, my Dad went zero carb, and I wanted to see if I could eat a little more protein if I dropped the veggies, and get similar results. But I'm slowly losing the weight during the experiment, all the same. The next experiment is awful. I kept in heavy cream, so can I replace the heavy cream carbs with very low carb veggie carbs, with the same results? And why would I want too? Heavy cream is awesome if you're on a high ratio ketogenic diet where fat as percent of calories needs to be fairly high.

I find I'll gain a little if I don't weigh for long periods. On the SAD, like 20 pounds. On Atkins, maybe 10 (but from 30 pounds lower than the SAD as a baseline). Keto, a little less, but again from a lower baseline.