Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#2176   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-18, 16:36

Plan: Carb Addicts
Stats: 175/154/135 Female 5 5'
BF:
Progress: 53%

Welcome Back Eno!

So glad to hear your husband is over those 8 weeks. I'd say it was tough on you all being away from home also.

I'm delighted and encouraged to hear your long term success with CALP.

I'm doing OK...in so far as I've become so much better at making varied evening meals; which was my main goal this year.
I love serving it to others also; it gives me great satisfaction.
Getting into a food rut was definitely a big reason for my derailment in the past.

Other than that; I've been going to the bog a lot these days. The first few days are quite challenging with the muscle aches and pains but i'm finally in the swing of it now; so it's not so bad.
Got pretty bitten this evening by midges which wasn't so nice. Arggh!!
Suppose its only a minor thing so i really shouldn't complain.

Hope everyone is enjoying the summer. Great weather here for a change.

(Meant to suggest to anyone reading that i found a delicious low-Carb item called 'Quark' in Aldi, which has under 4G of Carbohydrate. There were three flavours; strawberry, raspberry and passion fruit.
Looking forward to trying it out. )
Sponsored Links
  #2177   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-18, 14:32

Plan: CAD
Stats: 172/165/155 Female 5’5”
BF:
Progress:

Hi! I just discovered your group and I’m wondering if I may join your discussion? I’ve been eating the CAD way for the past 4 years and my life is so much better because of it! I’ve had ups and downs here and there but for the most part, I have been able to stay on the plan — it never takes long to feel the difference if I veer from it! I would love to have your support and hopefully, to offer you mine 😊 Thank you!!
  #2178   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-18, 17:33
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi Matty-
welcome!
That's so great that you are on CAD for 4 years. This is a wonderful place to get support and post. Once you have a certain number of posts (I think 25?) you can send and receive Private Messages too (PM).
I've been on CALP for almost 15 years- and I love it too.
E
  #2179   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-18, 07:19

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattykin
Hi! I just discovered your group and I’m wondering if I may join your discussion? I’ve been eating the CAD way for the past 4 years and my life is so much better because of it! I’ve had ups and downs here and there but for the most part, I have been able to stay on the plan — it never takes long to feel the difference if I veer from it! I would love to have your support and hopefully, to offer you mine 😊 Thank you!!

Welcome, I hear you on the ups and downs. I have had great success with calp, but flunked maintenance the first time around. Back at it again
  #2180   ^
Old Sun, Jul-15-18, 10:47
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

Hi-
today is my 15 year anniversary of starting CALP. It has been a wonderful 15 years. I did the first 6 months or so before I found this site and this community. I have been posting since then, for my own accountability and to pay it back and pay it forward.
It's time for me to step away- thanks for everything. I'm going to repost my 10 year anniversary post. It still is as true today as it was 5 years ago.

Wishing you all health, happiness and peace.
E

From 7/14/2013
hi-
tomorrow is my 10th 'planiversary' on CALP/CAHHP. I can't believe it has been 10 years! I'm going to mark the occasion by talking a bit about my experiences, and how things are for me now.

I found LC as a direct response to my continued worsening cholesterol and CRP tests. The straw that broke the camel's back was the "off the scale" CRP I had in the winter of 2003. My (then) MD wanted me to eat lower fat (Pritikin levels), double or triple my statins, and go off estrogen. He basically accused me of lying to him about my eating, saying no one who ate as low fat as I did could continue to see rising lipids.
I went home scared and angry. I had been eating low fat, and lower fat, for at least 15 years. I drank the low fat coolaide- believed it all. I said to my DH- if what I am doing is not working I can do it harder or do something different. I then started researching LC, starting with Atkins, Eades, Heller, Schwartzbein, Agatston and more. I remember telling my DH that I KNEW I was insulin resistant and had metabolic syndrome- and that was why I was fat (and getting fatter every year) and my lipids were so bad. I told him that while my kids were not home that summer, I was going to do LC. I asked him to support me and he did.
I chose CALP/CAHHP because it would fit my lifestyle and my personality. I hate measuring or weighing, I like eating and cooking unprocessed foods, and I value eating dinner as a family and going out with friends.
After 2 weeks on CALP it was a miracle. I felt "NORMAL" for the first time in 15 years. Then the weight began to melt off- like magic. And I felt great- lots of energy. Then my skin cleared up, my swollen ankles cleared up, my sleep got better- just everything felt better.
I lost the first 20 lbs by the end of August- and went to a new MD! He told me to keep doing what I was doing- but that my cholesterol was genetic.
I lost 30 lbs by December. I stayed on plan, because I felt great and I knew this was for life.
I started losing again that spring, and lost another 25 or so pounds. Plus my liver enzymes normalized (no more NASH for me!) and my CRP started going down while my trigylcerides were normal for the first time ever.
Since then I have stayed OP. I balance my RM, but admit I eat more carbs at RM now than that first year or two. It is my new normal- and I think I look better today than I did before starting CALP that July 2003.
I will always have the underlying metabolic issues, which eating LC manages. I believe I am insulin sensitive now, and also believe that a few days off plan will push me back to insulin resistance. So I STAY ON PLAN.
The people who I have met on this site, and the amazing wealth of info and resources about LC, has been incredibly important to me. Thank you!
I thank God everyday that I found LC, found CALP, and have been able to heal my life.
E

Love the way I feel on CALP! It's for life.
CALP/CAHHP since 7/03
Maintaining since 9/04
  #2181   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-18, 10:49

Plan: Carb Addicts
Stats: 175/154/135 Female 5 5'
BF:
Progress: 53%

Your posts have done my heart good to read over the years Eno.
I love how you rose above this serious problem and triumphed over it in the end & fought & worked so hard for justice and your good health.

Thank you so much for your devotion, faithfulness, support, encouragement and for making yourself available all the time; answering questions and
giving your very best input & advice to help me and so many others.
Really, you made yourself available in a way that was not unlike a personal
coach...and you invested all that effort and time for free.
In this day and age, people usually must pay big bucks for such things.

I will be forever grateful, indebted & blessed to have known you!
Wish you & your family all the best this life has to offer & that you get richly rewarded for all your goodness.

You really did light the way!
  #2182   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-18, 13:35
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

hi-
I can't believe I haven't posted since July 15, 2018!
I have had a busy 4 months. My husband's health is stable, which is great. My daughter had another baby, so now I have 3 grandkids. He's a very healthy and happy and easy baby.

I'm still on CALP and still stable and still love this WOL.
It makes me sad to see these threads are basically dormant, as I think CALP is a fantastic way to do LC and have a life. I eat real food, lots of veggies, good protein and the carbs I want but only once a day. It takes effort and discipline but it is so worth it.
I think the Diet Doctor website has the best current information out there, but no one else talks about limiting the carbs to once a day. I think the Hellers were way ahead of the curve and really had hard science and clinical experience going for them. But there are no new books or proponents of this plan out there. I was posting here on a very regular basis, just doing the standard CALP plan, but I have moved on and it's up to others to hold on to this plan. I've been doing it for over 15 years and don't plan to stop- it works for me and has proven to be a great way for me to eat LC.

Want to wish anyone reading a wonderful and healthy Thanksgiving- the BEST LC holiday there is.

Enjoy!
E
  #2183   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-18, 02:07

I am still here Eno, just dealing with my recent diagnosis of cancer and a horrid year of stress.

I too believe the Hellers were ahead of their time, but also feel for me, tweaks such as an eating window - some form of IF - is necessary for my health.

Glad your husband has stabilized.
  #2184   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-18, 07:34

So....changes for today, before I get myself firmly on a plan. Measuring my half and half, and making sure I have a salad *and* a cm veggie at some point today.

If anyone on cad or calp is reading this, what are you doing, if you were off plan, to get yourself back on?
  #2185   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-18, 05:13

Starting today with some plain green tea.

Plan for when I do feel like eating:

breakfast cm: 2 eggs over easy with a slice of melted cheese atop and either sauteed mushrooms or a serving of green beans. Coffee with 2 oz. half and half, am supplements.

lunch cm: 2 cm uncured beef hot dogs (I like Boars Head brand) and a serving of green beans.

RM dinner: double serving cauliflower, 2-3 cm bockwurst with either bit of mayo or ketchup, 1/2 of a almond cake (think large muffin size before I cut it in half), 2 oz. half and half with my coffee.

If I do get hungry during the day, will have a cm snack of a mini cucumber and a small piece of rich triple cream french cheese.
  #2186   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-18, 16:13

Day went as planned, including a cm snack. I am hopeful to not feel the need for a cm snack this eve, but to be done, as I was, before 5 pm. I did really well when I was eating essentially 12 hour eating window, and 12 hours fasting.

Water intake needs to keep increasing, but I am happy with this first day back on CALP.
  #2187   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-18, 04:17

Day two meal plan.

Breakfast cm will be 2 eggs over easy, a snack size piece of fontina cheese, two sautéed mushrooms, 2 oz. half and half with my coffee.
Actual was 1 mini cucumber, 1 cm bockwurst, 2 oz. half and half with my coffee, am supplements (I take 6K iu of Vitamin D, baby aspirin, PPQ, Quercetin, a Vitamin B supplement, 1k mg Vitamin C, an eye health with Lutein supplement, 400 mg Co Q 10, a calcium and magnesium citrate supplement and Glucosamine Chondroitin.).

Lunch cm will be 2 cm chicken with spinach sausages, bit of mayo, spinach.
Actual was one wedge cm spinach cheese casserole and the 2 sausages.

I did have an afternoon snack of some tripe cream soft French cheese.

rm will be: double serving steamed cauliflower (or broccoli), large turkey burger with cheddar cheese, and 1/2 lemon poppy seed doughnut. 2 oz. half and half with my coffee. *may have a wedge of spinach cheese casserole for lunch and rm, so only then, a single serve of the cauliflower (or broccoli).

Actual: ground turkey made into a burger with some melted gruyere atop, had plain, 1 wedge cm spinach cheese casserole, 1 cm bockwurst, the other half of that small, muffin sized almond cake. Half and half with my coffee. Took me a bit, but ended up feeling too full.

I need to dive back into the love of cm veggies I developed when I lost weight last time.

cm snacks if any will be a portion of tripe cream French soft cheese and a mini cucumber.

Happy to be doing this.

Last edited by patriciakr : Wed, Nov-28-18 at 17:54.
  #2188   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-18, 06:43

Thinking it would be wise for me to get back into making dishes I can have for several servings - like my favorite spinach cheese casserole. It's cold, snowy and blustery here so today is a perfect day for this.

One wedge of the casserole serves as a cm veggie and additional protein - either as a snack, an unconventional breakfast cm, or part of a rm.
  #2189   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-18, 02:22

Ugh, awake super early again. Hope to get back to sleep after I am up for a bit. Sore, scratchy throat.

Feeling better overall though as I enter day 3
  #2190   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-18, 05:16

Day 3 - have cold or something..ugh.

Didn't feel like cooking, so breakfast cm: 1 serving of cm rollatini (cm proscuitto wrapped around mozzarella), 1 wedge of reheated cm spinach cheese casserole, and 2 oz. half and half. May have to start some dayquil.

Planned lunch cm: 2 cm chicken and spinach sausages and a wedge of spinach cheese casserole. This was actual.

Planned rm: 2 wedges spinach cheese casserole, a baked turkey patty with some ketchup, either 2 pieces sour dough thin sliced toast or 1 individual size instant oatmeal. Coffee with half and half.
Actual: 1 wedge spinach cheese casserole, baked turkey patty with some melted gruyere, no ketchup. Hot and sour soup with some dried noodles, No coffee, no oatmeal.

Last edited by patriciakr : Fri, Nov-30-18 at 01:04.