Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-30-09, 19:30
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%
Default Who Follows Jimmy Moores Blog-Livn' la Vida Low Carb?

I think I mangled the title--sorry

I don't keep up with it so much because I always remember he was a huge proponent of a lot of low carb type processed foods, breads etc.

I happen to click on his blog and was reading down a few entries and the December 28th entry is about how he is gained back 50 pounds in the past couple of years. (I know that dieting and keeping the weight off is hard. I've been around that block). He's blogging that it's getting more and more difficult to shed the weight. He's getting his thyroid evaluated which is good. But, the thing that is puzzling me is that he talks about changing up his WOE--why doesn't he just go back to the clean basics without the frankenfoods, eliminate the wheat, watch his portions, eat only when hungry, eliminate his snacking, watch the calories, don't over eat, and as suggested by others to give IF a try. Not that he has to IF--but, why not go back to basics. I guess I'm just scratching my head

Jimmy's had such great success and has been such an inspiration getting the LC gospel out there, I guess I just want to shout--dude, go back and read the book--climb that carb ladder and ditch all frankenfoods and faux products!

Far be it for me to think I have all the answers (I'm scared straight right now that I'll be where I was again May 19th), but I knew what I had to do--I can only think of one franken food I eat and wheat makes me so sick that I stay away from it with a 10-foot pole.

I'm just puzzeled...that's all.

That's what I get for being bored and thinking I'll entertain myself with a couple of blogs.

Lisa
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-30-09, 20:40

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 500/408/300 Male 73 inches
BF:toodamnmuch
Progress: 46%

I was first motivated by Jimmy and his wife to go back to LC over a year and a half ago but then I stopped watching their videos because it was all about the cookies or LC bars and it was a 10 min commercial..your right too many frankenfoods and they eat way too many carbs
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-30-09, 20:50

Plan: Lowcarb/IF
Stats: 215/173.9/150 Female 5.5"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Can't stand him. Nothing personal, don't know the guy, but I feel like I'm watching an infomercial with the level of self-promotion he shovels onto the internet.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-30-09, 22:47

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I am there. My username is the same there as it is here. You guys, Jimmy strongly believes in what he does. His passion is genuine and it is also his livelihood. Jimmy's whole life is an infomercial but it is true. I especially love his podcasts and appreciate the knowledge that is gained frm them.

THe guy was morbidly obese and he lost his brother recently who was morbidly obese. His dad died of complications caused by obesity. Jimmy is doing the best that he can to get his weight problems under control. Jimmy knows how to do the diet...he just has to figure out which tweak is going to work for him and he is brave enough to share his story with us.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-31-09, 03:19

Plan: my own
Stats: 125/125/125 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:

I remember him desperately seeking to look like he had some integrity during the Kimkins fiasco, and failing. Didn't know he still had a blog but no I'm not a follower.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-31-09, 09:50

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: 307/197.1/162 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

I follow much of what JM puts out, but I regard his ads for products as just that, ads. It pays his bills which in turn allows him to offer other things like his interviews which works for me. He snags a lot of LC people that appear hard to get to. He also finds people that many of us never heard of that bring something new to the party, or some that should be heard to be more enlighten. Like everyone's friend, Dr. Dean Ornish. Or how about Ron Williams; comedy gold! I couldn't stop laughing listening to him talk (but then, I'm warped to begin with.)

I frankly don't care if anyone follows JM, but I do think people might handcuff themselves a bit if they don't.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-31-09, 10:00
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
I am there. My username is the same there as it is here. You guys, Jimmy strongly believes in what he does. His passion is genuine and it is also his livelihood. Jimmy's whole life is an infomercial but it is true. I especially love his podcasts and appreciate the knowledge that is gained frm them.

THe guy was morbidly obese and he lost his brother recently who was morbidly obese. His dad died of complications caused by obesity. Jimmy is doing the best that he can to get his weight problems under control. Jimmy knows how to do the diet...he just has to figure out which tweak is going to work for him and he is brave enough to share his story with us.

Black--I'm not trying to slam him. I mean my goodness, he's lost what??? 180 pounds!! That in and of itself shouts success at the top of the hilltop.

I just wonder why especially now he doesn't say, hmmmmm.....might be time to give up the franken foods, or, it's pretty evident the franken foods aren't working for me....

It was just a pondering that struck me when I was perusing thru the blog.

I mean, isn't that one of the first things that we all advise when a plan doesn't seem to be working optimally for someone who is having a problem?
Post some menus, get rid of the frankenfoods, eat clean, blah, blah, blah...

If I offended Jimmy or Jimmy lovers, that wasn't my intent.

It just seemed so.....ummmm...I don't even know the word.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-31-09, 10:19

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Jimmy has been tweaking his diet and please don't take my comments wrong...I am just protecting my Jimmy. I know he can take care of himself. Actually he does an exemplary job of defending and promoting the low carb lifestyle. I believe that it was the frankinfoods that helped him to be successful in his weightloss goals. I am sure that it was candy bars,chips and other snacks that caused his obesity in the first place. The frankenfoods just allowed him to keep a similar dietary eating style that supported his weightloss journey. As any of us age, weightloss takes on a fork in the road. Often we miss that turn and have to back up and figure out which way our body went. I was on that road and gained every last pound plus 2 without a drop of frankenfood. All happened while adhering to lc. I was on the same road as Jimmy and found my fork and made the right turn and am making good progress. Jimmy has got to do the same. He'll find his fork and will get back on track. It is good that he is shares his success and his failures with us. Keep going to his blog and watch what happens.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Dec-31-09, 21:45

Plan: moderate carb
Stats: 300/209/154 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 62%

I'll be upfront.....I'm not a fan of The Jimmster although I've 'followed' him for quite a while. I too noted his 28 Dec comments with interest. I truly wish him luck but I suspect he will continue to struggle as he has yet to come clean/honest with himself (one example....a 50 pound gain is not a SLIGHT gain - even with a 180 pound loss, it's nearly a 30% regain).

I hate to be suspicious...but he makes his money with his advertisements. Hits on his site are important for getting contracts with advertisers. Over the past couple months, he hasn't had hardly any comments - i.e. decreased hits. At one point when he was in contention with the Zero Carb people, there must have been a massive amount of hits based upon comments on The Jimmster's sites AND the Zero Carb forum.

I'm with you Lisa....and with numerous other people that have tried to 'reason' with him....drop the frankenfoods and see what happens. To hear him talk, he has dropped the frankenfoods - in favor of the Eades shake system. We'll see how it goes for him....he wasn't overly successful with maintaining that program in the past.

And, just to reiterate...I do wish him well, I'm just not a fan of his. I certainly know first hand the frustration of doing everything within your power and not getting where you want to be.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Dec-31-09, 21:48
Registered Member

Plan: Zero Carb / Warrior Diet
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress:

He's not low carb. Low carb is about getting rid of the idea of carbohydrate foods as necessary, not adding fake carb foods. He eats a SAD diet IMO. He has no right to call what he is doing LC and he insults the LC community.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Dec-31-09, 22:44

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

It must be a matter of seeing what one needs/wants to see. Black57, you see someone who has lost a ton of pounds. I see someone who lost pounds but clings to an old lifestyle; still obese and lurching from expert to expert, trying anything but keeping a death grip on intense sweets and large meals of pleasure foods.

LOL I know that story, I don't have to read it too. So I quit reading. Too depressing.

Last edited by Seejay : Thu, Dec-31-09 at 22:50.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-01-10, 13:23
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Low carb is low carb. It is defined by the number of carbohydrates you eat, not the type of food you eat. So accusing him of not following a low carb diet just because he isn't eating raw meat and water only is ridiculous.

One might wish he'd try cutting out the "franken" foods but perhaps it's all that keeps him going on LC.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jan-01-10, 13:35

Plan: zero carb
Stats: 168/110/115 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 109%

I see a lot on things on his menu like chocolate cake, dinner rolls...not really all that LC.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jan-01-10, 14:18
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I had chocolate cake too, for the holidays, but it was LC.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jan-01-10, 20:50

Plan: Low-carb/High-Fat
Stats: 345/335/180 Male 71
BF:
Progress: 6%

I am grateful for Jimmy Moore as first, he lost a lot of weight through low-carb; you can't argue with results.

Second, he has interviewed many people who are pro low-carb. I like that because it is important for me to have some basic grasp of the science involved.

I, too, get BORED of low-carb, as although certainly low-carb/high-fat works, I miss sweets. Certainly low-carb chocolate cake recipes (or whatever) can be a concern (i.e. I might wolf the entire cake down!), it's good to know that there are ways to periodically enjoy those things.