Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-01, 09:55

Plan: Barry Groves - Dr Atkins
Stats: 175/173/142
BF:
Progress:
Smile UK - New member - help - Gravey

I was wondering if anyone knows which gravey granules are best to use and/or are Oxo's ok. If not does anyone have any suggestions for gravey or sauces for meat?

Thanks,

Bez

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-01, 14:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Smile Welcome to the Forum Bex

Hi Bez

Welcome to the Forum. I am afraid I tend not to use any commercially prepared granules any more - most of them have hidden carbs in them.

There are several threads discussing sauces if you care to look around. Here are a couple of links to get you started.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...highlight=gravy

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...highlight=gravy

Good luck.
Take care
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-01, 17:36

Stats: 181/138/125
BF:
Progress: 77%

What is an oxo?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-01, 19:16

BF:
Progress:
Default An Oxo is...

...a meat gravey cube, it comes in concentrated form in a cube and you crumble it into meat juices to make gravey and then you add the thickener which is usally cornflour. I think it has a small amount of wheat in it though and was wondering how safe it would be as the granules are probably loaded.

Raven, I hope that answers your question!..I'm gonna have to get used to these culinary differences - What is Jello?!!!

Bez

#5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-01, 20:54

BF:

Aha Jello I can answer.

It's flavored gelatin that people eat usually for dessert. It seems a lot of people like the sugar free kind with whipped cream on top. I've never been much of a jello fan, but I might try it one day. By the way, here's the Jello home page if you're interested: Jello!!!

That oxo sounds kind of weird. I've never seen it here in the USA.
Never seen gravy granules either for that matter.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-19-01, 02:41

BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks Fiona

Thanks Fiona, My partner does the cooking and I need to let him know what sort of sauces I can have, he's not in tune with this way of eating (He can eat what he likes) and is trying to help but keeps putting gravey on everything and then I have to salvage the meal so that I'm not hurting his feelings!!

Raven, gravey is a meat sauce that us English pour all over our food especially meat - what do you have on your food/meat?!

Thanks again,

#7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-19-01, 02:57

BF:

Oh, we have gravey in the USA, I had just never heard of gravey granules
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-19-01, 05:52

BF:
Progress:
Smile Granules

Hi Raven,

The granules an instant gravey, you just pour boiling water on them to make the gravey - a lazy way of doing it I suppose!

Does anyone know anything about swede, is it safe or not, I know it's a root vegetable but when on any other diet I have been allowed to eat it freely, it wasn't classed as high carb; I looked on the carb counter but couldn't find it.

Any suggestions?

Bez

#9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-19-01, 06:44
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally posted by Bez
Does anyone know anything about swede, is it safe or not, I know it's a root vegetable but when on any other diet I have been allowed to eat it freely, it wasn't classed as high carb; I looked on the carb counter but couldn't find it.
hi Bez,

Swedes are also called rutabagas ... and are rather carby, unfortunately. 1 cup cooked and mashed has ... ... 20.98g carb / 4.32g fiber.

The small white and purple turnips (unwaxed) are a less-carby alternative. They come in at 11.27g carb / 4.6g fiber for 1 cup cooked and mashed.

Doreen
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-19-01, 06:59

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi, Bez. I moved your post to the Low-Carb Kitchen section of our forum.

Cheers,
Nat
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Sep-19-01, 07:56

BF:
Progress:
Default I did wonder

I did wonder where it went and my original one appeared from nowhere so I got bit confused...but I'm all unconfused now...I think!!!

Bez

#12   ^
Old Wed, Sep-19-01, 08:08
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally posted by Bez
:I did wonder where it went and my original one appeared from nowhere
When message threads are moved, the database creates a link in the original forum where you posted .. all you need to do is click on the link, and you'll be redirected to your message .. .. Same thing if you've chosen to receive an email notice when someone posts a reply (ie, subscribe) to your message ... you'll be taken automatically to the new location.

Doreen
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Sep-19-01, 12:19

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Thumbs down Oxo - 4g carb/cube

Hi Bez and Raven

We do get Jello in the UK Bez – we call it gelatine LOL. Must admit the British variety might not work in the same way as the US - my attempt at jelly babies was not a complete success story. Check and double check for sugar in whatever form. You will be amazed at carb content of a tiny wee packet on some varieties. I get the SUPERCOOK variety (Holland&Barratt; Sainsbury) which is nil carb.

Raven, some of the terms I see around the Forum leave my mind boggling too it’s an education in language (different forms of English!) in itself. Bez makes it all the more interesting.

A little soyflour (also available in Health Food Shops) is good as a thickener – perhaps not as convenient as OXO. I checked it, Bez, out while shopping today. One Oxo cube works out at approx. 4g carb.

Take care.

Last edited by fiona : Wed, Sep-19-01 at 12:29.