Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-02-11, 19:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/227/145 Female 63
BF:
Progress:
Default new member - tons of questions!!

I was diagnosed with pcos 2/15/11. I have not had a period on my own since 9/2010. Dr told me to lose weight and quit smoking. I have not had a ciggarette since leaving his office (smoked for 15 years) and I have lost 28 pounds. I have been following the Atkins diet. I would love to have some quick meal ideas. I read that losing 10% of your body weight will start your periods on their own? Still nothing? How much more will it take?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-03-11, 14:26
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 152/137/128 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 63%

There are tons of recipes on the cooking thread on this very site. I would check that out.
I find grilling a pork chop and steaming veggies like green beans or broccoli is really quick, and satisfying too.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-11, 02:30

Plan: my own
Stats: 240/225/120 Female 4ft 11
BF:
Progress: 13%

How much weight loss it takes is really individual, 10% is the average, but not a golden rule. I hardly ever have periods, yet as little as a few kilos (6 pounds or so) is all it takes for mine to start up again, and that is bearly near 10% of my weight.

My best advice for what it's worth, is stop stressing about it. Giving up smoking is awesome and so is losing weight to become a healthy weight again. When your body reaches it's own level, it will happen.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-11, 06:55
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

This is an old thread, but just to clarify.

It isn't the weight loss that causes your periods to return, its the change in diet. Weight gain did not cause your PCOS, excess insulin did, which also caused your weight gain.

For those with milder PCOS a change in diet to low carb for at least 2-3 months will stimualte a period, but for others, their insulin resistance problems may be so severe that they need a drug like metformin to help them - I had this problem. Since a few months after starting metformin I have a period every month.

But don't believe the doctors who tell you that weight gain causes PCOS - its the other way around.

Lee