Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#3661   ^
Old Fri, May-05-06, 23:17

Plan: Lights Out
Stats: 255/225/190 Male 72"
BF:all
Progress: 46%

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBear
'...women with anorexia...'

So now you are a woman? Had your sexchange operation yet?

OK everybody, the cuckoo bird has finally come out of his head.

Bear, I don't give a toss about your WOE, have it your way. But I know a great deal more about cancer than you do. Your doubletalk is ineffective. Stop giving people advice, it's irresponsible. Tell them about the carnivore diet. Leave cancer alone. You don't have the background or the tools to understand it. Just because you have it doesn't make you an expert.

Here is one clue - how does cancer start? Do you think it was just a random event in your throat, or was it part of a bodywide phenomenon?
Sponsored Links
  #3662   ^
Old Fri, May-05-06, 23:19

Plan: South Beach-esque
Stats: 194/159/140 Female 5'3"
BF:34% / 28% / 20%
Progress: 65%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawchem
I seem to have some type of physical problem that prevents me from even eating induction level carbs. My dr thinks it is pituitary related.

Nancy,

Hi - I am intrigued.... are you saying you can't lose weight even on induction level carbs and your doc thinks perhaps pituitary related? (Would be interested in any further rationale on how and what of the potential pituitary issue.)

The reason I ask, and my reason for writing this note, is that I wonder if you've ever had a glucose tolerance test (in which you drink something sweet and they measure your blood levels over a few ensuing hours) - and a weird result?

Kind of a long shot, but thought I'd ask. I had mine tested at the Atkins Center in the 90s and had a weird result about which close to zippo info was available... the only info I did find was in a chart book of results that showed a pattern like mine and mentioned (vaguely) that it was pituitary-related. (I also have an extremely tough time losing on whatever I do or don't eat.) The glucose tolerance test result was basically that at the beginning my blood glucose was normal fasting. Upon challenge (drinking the sweet stuff) it shot up to where it normally is supposed to upon challenge, and then instead of tapering back down to normal over a few hours, all the extra glucose evacuated my bloodstream in the first half hour. Right back down to about normal fasting. (This explains what insulin must do in me.) But anyhow, I've always been curious about what the heck might be going on w/the pituitary - if anything. (I do take thyroid hormone for mild hypothyroidism but have never been diagnosed w/anything exotic related to the thyroid or pituitary.
Kind of a long shot, but thought I'd ask. I had mine tested at the Atkins Center in the 90s and had a weird result about which close to zippo info was available... the only info I did find was in a chart book of results that showed a pattern like mine and mentioned (vaguely) that it was pituitary-related. (I also have an extremely tough time losing on whatever I do or don't eat.)

The glucose tolerance test result was basically that at the beginning my blood glucose was normal fasting. Upon challenge (drinking the sweet stuff) it shot up to where it normally is supposed to upon challenge, and then instead of tapering back down to normal over a few hours, all the extra glucose evacuated my bloodstream in the first half hour. Right back down to about normal fasting. (This explains what insulin must do in me.) But anyhow, I've always been curious about what the heck might be going on w/the pituitary - if anything. (I do take thyroid hormone for mild hypothyroidism but have never been diagnosed w/anything exotic related to the thyroid or pituitary.)

CB

Last edited by cbcb : Fri, May-05-06 at 23:27.
  #3663   ^
Old Fri, May-05-06, 23:22

Plan: zero-carb
Stats: 140/140/140 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

Insulin is a HORMONE. It is different in structure to the proteins found in food. The word protein is a generic term that covers a large number of organic molecules consisting primarily of complex chains of amino acids, which can be found in more than one physical form. Insulin is rapidly degraded and rendered inactive by stomach acid, the proteins in meat are not hormonally active to begin with, and are not degraded as insulin is, nor are they reduced to amino acids either.

I know you have very knowledge of science and biochemistry, so I think in the interest of fairness you please try to resist your constant impulse to go nattering on about everything I say you disagree with, ok?
  #3664   ^
Old Fri, May-05-06, 23:24
Registered Member

Plan: CRON / Zone
Stats: 118/110/110 Male 5ft 7"
BF:very low
Progress: 100%

Quote:
You are a walking stick-figure, your online picture resembles the images from the famine in Africa.

I am 113lbs (BMI 17.7), which is 5lbs from my pre-CR weight (BMI 18.5). I do not do this because of weight, I do not care whether I have a low bmi or a high bmi, CR is about energy intake not weight.

Quote:
At 110 you are skin and bone- no muscles, as shown in your pic- how do mange to stand up and walk around?

Played football (soccer) just last week for 5-6 hours as I have done for the past 7+ years before starting CR. I manage fine

Quote:
If your doctors think you are fit and healthy- you are in a world of trouble.

Why am I in a world of trouble? Do you know my health status? do you have all my test results? I know people that are skinnier than me and have been on CR for 10-30 years with BMI in the 15 range. What I do is backed up by 70 years of research... this shows that its safe enough if done right.

Quote:
You are not qualified to criticise anything concerning a proper diet.

Not yet...

This thread is all about you! Stop ignoring the real issues, which is your poor health caused by your poor diet and your ignorance.

Last edited by Whoa182 : Fri, May-05-06 at 23:30.
  #3665   ^
Old Fri, May-05-06, 23:26

Plan: South Beach-esque
Stats: 194/159/140 Female 5'3"
BF:34% / 28% / 20%
Progress: 65%

Bear, again - wanted to ask you - seriously - do you have any theories on why some people in our society tolerate carbs better than the rest of us (I'm clearly in the latter camp). Specific genes, coding proteins, haircolor, music preference - what?
  #3666   ^
Old Fri, May-05-06, 23:29
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:

Quote:
Insulin is a HORMONE. It is different in structure to the proteins found in food. The word protein is a generic term that covers a large number of organic molecules consisting primarily of complex chains of amino acids, which can be found in more than one physical form. Insulin is rapidly degraded and rendered inactive by stomach acid, the proteins in meat are not hormonally active to begin with, and are not degraded as insulin is, nor are they reduced to amino acids either.

I know you have very knowledge of science and biochemistry, so I think in the interest of fairness you please try to resist your constant impulse to go nattering on about everything I say you disagree with, ok?

Oh dear, Bear. Do you not know that hormones are proteins?
I don't think anyone here has tried to say that hormones are the same as the proteins we eat. But they are still proteins.
And you have no idea of my knowledge of science and biochemistry.

Rosebud
  #3667   ^
Old Fri, May-05-06, 23:30

BF:
Progress:

Amazing you STILL feel qualified to lecture me on cancer? Either you have a massive twisted ego filled with self importance or you seriously underestimate me and my knowledge on the subject. What gives you expert status?

I think if you read my posts carefully you already know two things: I am completely aware of the cancer I had, and I have an extensive knowledge of it and the methods of treatment. I have also demonstrated my extreme level of interest in my body, nutrition and the way everything in the universe works. Why on earth would a total stranger, and outsider, even consider making such totally specious and inaccurate statements about MY cancer and my relation to it? You must be very unhappy with your lot in life, is all I can say. Relax, you are always going to meet people who are smarter or more knowledgeable than you are.
  #3668   ^
Old Fri, May-05-06, 23:42
Registered Member

Plan: General Controlled Carb
Stats: 225/180/180 Male 185 centimetres
BF:

Quote:
Relax, you are always going to meet people who are smarter or more knowledgeable than you are.

So glad you appreciate how lucky you are that so many of them have contributed to this thread!
  #3669   ^
Old Fri, May-05-06, 23:42

BF:
Progress:

NO, rosebud- only a very few hormones have a protein-like structure, the most important ones do not. The steriods are substituted sterols, polycyclic molecules with no structural relationship to proteins. The truth is, very few bioactive agents/hormones are similar structurally to proteins most of the most common ones are either aliphatic amines (serotonin, melotonin,epinepherine), cyclical polyrings of various kinds, or have other shapes and structures. Please, don't try to lecture me on subjects you do not know anything about.
  #3670   ^
Old Fri, May-05-06, 23:51
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:

Okay bear, some hormones are not proteins - they are steroids. I do know that. But we were talking about the hormone insulin - which is a protein. Again, no matter how much you protest this basic scientific fact, insulin will remain a protein.

Rosebud
  #3671   ^
Old Fri, May-05-06, 23:55

BF:
Progress:

My 'poor health'? Please, tell me all about this, it is a total surprise, mr 'knows it all' who is all of 22 yo. How do you know this? The proof if you please, my strength and endurance are not obviously of any value, nor my lack of any kind of flu or colds for over 6 years, that could not be an indication of good health, nor my excellent BF and blood tests- even my thyroid, which after enduring 7000 rads of ionising radiation and is completely normal also doesn't count, but of course none constitutes 'good health in your book, either does it? Nor my perfect teeth and strong gums and bone- means nothing, right?

I'm waiting with 'bated breath for a delineation of the true but hidden indications of my 'poor health and bad diet'.

What do you know about diet, anyway? How many years have you been on yours?

I don't expect an intelligent response.

Last edited by theBear : Sat, May-06-06 at 00:04.
  #3672   ^
Old Sat, May-06-06, 00:02

BF:
Progress:

Rosebud, still trying to lecture me?

Give it up, please- the correct scientific term is that insulin has a 'protein-like' structure. Insulin is not a 'protein' per se, but belongs to a class of similarly shaped and composed, polymeric amino acid complexes. You cannot use it as you would the proteins in meat- as a nutrient.

No matter how much YOU 'detest' THIS fact, insulin is NOT the same thing as 'a protein'.

Last edited by theBear : Sat, May-06-06 at 00:08.
  #3673   ^
Old Sat, May-06-06, 00:18

BF:
Progress:

Some of us are just much more efficient in storing carbs as bodyfat. Since this condition seems to more prevalent than not, vis-vis the 'epidemic of obesity and overweight' the authorities are so worked up over- (after having first coaxed it to the present levels with the 'low fat is good' insanity), it may have been of some survival value in the past when food was much more difficult to acquire.

Most animals spend the majority of their waking time seeking, pursuing or ingesting food, whether carnivore, omnivore or herbivore. Man is unique in having more food easily available generally than is needed. It is badly distributed however-some groups have too much, and some are starving.
  #3674   ^
Old Sat, May-06-06, 01:05
Registered Member

Plan: no carbs
Stats: 160/160/160 Male 6'
BF:10%

Quote:
You are a walking stick-figure, your online picture resembles the images from the famine in Africa.

It's exactely the same as I looked being low cal vegan/vegetarian in my early 20s. And surprise surprise I was convincing everybody that with my cholesterol of 111, very low BP and BS of 70 I'm the picture of health. Poor me.
  #3675   ^
Old Sat, May-06-06, 01:52
Registered Member

Plan: antivegan,was subzerocarb
Stats: 200/187/175 Male 6' 0"
BF:27%/19%/12%
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Might I point out that the bogus results pointing to 'glycogen depletion ' are based entirely on a HIGH CARB diet? Zero-carb results utilising the same tests show no depletion takes place.
BUT... WAY BACK in this thread, you stated that glycogen is NEVER used for muscle... regardless of one's dietary intake.

Last edited by PaleoDeano : Sat, May-06-06 at 14:48.
Closed Thread