Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-07, 18:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228.5/219/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Not Losing Weight

Hello! Today is my second week of induction and I've lost NO weight. Okay, that's a lie. I've dropped 4 lbs. But still.....

I also feel horrible. Tired ALL THE TIME.

I counted calories and today I've consumed 900 calories. And today's eating is typical for my day. Am I eating too few calories? What is the target for Atkins calories?

My DH is the atkins guru and has dropped 35 lbs in 10 weeks. BARF.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-07, 18:10
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

Number one: NEVER compare your losses to that of a man--any man. Their bodies are designed to lose weight. Ours are, as the carrier of the babies, designed to hold fat.

Secondly, I don't think you're eating enough. There is no target calories on Atkins, but the fact that you don't feel good tells me you're not eating enough food. Drink your water. Take a good multi. Maybe some magnesium, too.

There is also an adjustment period when you begin LC, and it can take weeks for some people to adjust to burning fat for energy instead of glucose. That could be part of it.

Hope you feel better soon.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-07, 18:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/198.6/170 Female 67inches
BF:
Progress: 52%

Well, I'll state the obvious:

Have you read the book? If yes, why are you counting calories during induction? How many carbs are you eating a day? Post a day's menu, and let's see what you are doing
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-07, 18:12
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by molmerlin
Well, I'll state the obvious:

Have you read the book? If yes, why are you counting calories during induction? How many carbs are you eating a day? Post a day's menu, and let's see what you are doing

I really think that the post meant that today she counted the calories to see what she was eating and it came out to 900. I didn't read it as she is "counting calories" on induction. Some people don't eat much on induction b/c they feel so poorly. Her profile says she has read the book.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-07, 18:52
Registered Member

Stats: 134.4/127.2/107 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 26%

I dont think you are eating enough calories. Medically, anything under 1200 calories is considered a "starvation" diet - meaning that your body thinks that there is not enough food so it holds on to every single thing it gets.

Doctors also say you should never eat under 1200 calories, even in the most restrictive diets. With atkins, you could eat double your calories now and still lose weight, as long as you are following the plan.

It sounds like you probably dont feel like it, but try to get up to at least 1200 calories. Hopefully, if you raise your cals, you will start to see more weight loss AND have more energy!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-07, 18:55
Registered Member

Stats: 134.4/127.2/107 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Oh, one more thing:

Are you drinking enough water? It is very important to make sure you drink enough water, not only to flush out the fat, but also to keep you hydrated. One of the signs of dehydration is low energy.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-07, 19:25

BF:

Thanks for all the tips everyone. And yes, I am NOT counting calories on this. I have read the book, plus my DH is a walking talking Atkins Spewing Factory.

I counted calories today because of the not losing weight factor. I though maybe, inspite of eating very low carbs, I was eating too many calories. Guess that's not the case!

Any suggestions on upping my cals? My TYPICAL day looks like: Scrambled eggs for breakfast, bar for lunch, chicken breast with my veggies for dinner.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-07, 19:42

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 136/118/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Uh oh. Did you say "bar" for lunch??? We may have the culprit!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-07, 19:42

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 276.4/266.6/200 Female 5'8
BF:I've got some!!!
Progress: 13%

Adding more fat into your diet helps with the calories..I like to have my chicken with mayo for the fat just that added fix could make a world of difference.

Are you having an Atkins bar? Some people stall on those you do have to be careful when having any LC bar.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-07, 19:52

BF:

Why? What's the deal with the Atkins Bars? Let me know

I have them because I'm typically running around doing kid stuff in the middle of the afternoon, so it's easy. Also, I need the fiber in it. I mean...occasionally I'll have chicken on top of lettuce.

Clue me in, because, again, I am basing my stuff off of my DH's experiences and his success.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-07, 20:06

Once again...everyone bodies lose differently especially men since they also don't have to deal with Aunt Flow in the month.

Some people have the problems with the bars because they some ingredients that make you stall...and it becomes harder for you to lose weight because of this. When I eat the bar...I'm in a stall for about 2 weeks to get it out of my system.

You have to find other items to eat on the run. If you feel like you aren't going to be home to eat, then grab a meat stick and string cheese or plan where you can eat when your at home and then go from there...make a wrap (lc wraps are my savior at lunch time) and have that while your are running your errands.

Another item that is great source of fat is Tuna!!! Have some tuna on a slice of LC bread...that would be a great lunch...you get your fiber, calories, fat, and protein and its LC!!!!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-07, 20:13

BF:

Hmm, interesting! I will drop the bars from my routine and see what happens. What about the shakes?
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-07, 20:16

Same thing with the shakes...they seem to have items that stall people..mostly the sugar alcohols in some items seem to be a problem or aspartame in soda stalls some...Jello....Crystal Lite...

Best thing to do is to start journal log your menu and ask for other input. There are some fantastic LC Recipes on this site that even non-lc'er will love! My hubby doesn't do the LC thing but when I make some of the items on here...he has no idea that he is really lc'ing it up!!!!

How much water do you normally drink?
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-07, 20:58

BF:

At least 8 bottles. Sometimes more. I'm a water holic.

I've stayed away from anything "diet" occasionally I'll have a coffee and splenda. But that's it.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-07, 21:07

Stats: 154/150/130 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 17%

I agree with Elle that you more than likely are not eating enough. Also drop the bars That was my problem at first, I always thought that since it said it was for induction phase it was ok, but it really isn't because of some of the ingredients.

Stick to the book and the real foods and you will see a difference Also I would recommend starting a journal as well. It really helps me keep on track and also is a great support system