Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-14, 10:22

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
I have to wear compression hose too. I've had to wear them for many years now. I've had two DVTs, one of which sent me to the hospital with an embolism in my lungs. I also used to have swollen legs but since losing the weight and wearing the hose, my ankles remain one size.

I strongly suggest that you start to wear them daily.

Judy, They really do work, don't they? I remember my mother even began sleeping with them on and while she elevated her legs too. It's usually inherited so I guess I'll be seeing them soon but so far so good. Besides the elevating my mother also always said do not cross your legs. If she said once she said it a thousand times LOL

Shades, Congrats on the weight loss.
Judy is right the weight loss will make a huge difference.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-14, 11:48
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Hopefully this is common knowledge, but if you've got issues with DVT don't take replacement hormones or birth control with estrogen.

I've got a gene for it. No issues so far, but my mom and brother have both leg blood clots.
  #78   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-14, 11:55
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Hopefully this is common knowledge, but if you've got issues with DVT don't take replacement hormones or birth control with estrogen.

I've got a gene for it. No issues so far, but my mom and brother have both leg blood clots.
Thanks Nancy!

I have one of the genes for it. Lucky for me that's why I'm not on blood thinners for life as there are 2 genes involved.
My DVTs were from a combo of lack of movement and obesity. Not from taking hormones.
  #79   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-14, 12:10

Plan: Atkins '72
Stats: 230/165/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:

I will amp up the Mag. Thanks I think mine were 104 or some odd number like that.

OK going to see if I can find the stats. Thanks

Woo Hoo it worked. Today I decided I am no longer packing the large size bag of cat food on my A$$ any more. Now that is a visual.

Adding because I missed posts on next page.

My mom had varicose veins in the worst way and my brother had his legs stripped when he was 26. I have a few big ones nothing like my Mom.

I like to wear compression like tights. They are more comfortable than the below the knee ones for me. And no horror-mones for me. I am finally done with all of that. I paid my dues.

Back to cleaning only 2 1/2 hours left to ETA

Last edited by shades65 : Fri, Dec-12-14 at 12:27.
  #80   ^
Old Sat, Dec-13-14, 17:25

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by shades65
I will amp up the Mag. Thanks I think mine were 104 or some odd number like that.

OK going to see if I can find the stats. Thanks

Woo Hoo it worked. Today I decided I am no longer packing the large size bag of cat food on my A$$ any more. Now that is a visual.

Adding because I missed posts on next page.

My mom had varicose veins in the worst way and my brother had his legs stripped when he was 26. I have a few big ones nothing like my Mom.

I like to wear compression like tights. They are more comfortable than the below the knee ones for me. And no horror-mones for me. I am finally done with all of that. I paid my dues.

Back to cleaning only 2 1/2 hours left to ETA

Yay I am glad the Mag worked..
At least you have higher potency Mag. much better then over-the-counter.
  #81   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-14, 09:17

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

It might be just me, but by following the recommendations at GutSense.org, I've found thing working the way he describes. I no longer care about fiber.

He's not a fan of fiber and I actually do far better by upping my fat, supplementing chelated magnesium, and letting my appetite regulate my vegetable intake. Some days I just don't feel like having any!

I get painful cramps from too much fiber, so I stay away from flax. Hard fibrous vegetables can do that to me too. So there is a side of the story where fiber is not the answer... and may be part of the problem.

YMMV, of course, but continuing problems might require a different tactic, not more of the same!

Last edited by WereBear : Sun, Dec-14-14 at 09:22.
  #82   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-14, 09:53

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
It might be just me, but by following the recommendations at GutSense.org, I've found thing working the way he describes. I no longer care about fiber.

I'm going to have to check out that site. I have also found that I don't seem to need fiber to be regular - tho the transition was a little tricky. And certain kinds of fiber - like overdoing almonds - will cause cramps. The only reason Dr. B recommends some vegetables is "just in case" there are some vitamins/minerals that we would otherwise miss. My main vegetable is lettuce. Tho Bear didn't eat much of anything but meat for years and seemed quite healthy.

WereBear, I've often wondered - is your name based on his? Or is it just a coincidence?
  #83   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-14, 10:11

Plan: Atkins '72
Stats: 230/165/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:

Werebear,
Thank you for the constipation article. I read a little bit of it but I need to start morning gravy train with our 9 cats 2 dogs and my husband. LOL Saw your bottom kitty link. Want to read it too. Both articles very interesting.

Chris

PS my laptop runs much cooler when I removed the half of cat out of the keyboard last night. One on each side of me and one in my lap I am typing around dog at my feet. protecting cats.
  #84   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-14, 10:56

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
I'm going to have to check out that site. I have also found that I don't seem to need fiber to be regular - tho the transition was a little tricky. And certain kinds of fiber - like overdoing almonds - will cause cramps. The only reason Dr. B recommends some vegetables is "just in case" there are some vitamins/minerals that we would otherwise miss. My main vegetable is lettuce. Tho Bear didn't eat much of anything but meat for years and seemed quite healthy.

WereBear, I've often wondered - is your name based on his? Or is it just a coincidence?

It is a coincidence -- at least, not conscious.

Fifteen years ago I moved to an area with lots of those carved wooden bears everywhere, and it resonated with me. A good friend once discussed "spirit animals" and mine turned out to be a bear!