Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-24-14, 09:32
Registered Member

Plan: 4 corners
Stats: 203/190/135 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress:
Wink where are the semi-lowcarb people?

hi guys, i haven't posted in a long time because it feels like all the "semi-lowcarb folks have gine somewhere...i am still hanging in there on my life without bread plan. it has become a way of life for me. altogether a loss of of 27 pounds with no pain and feeling good. for those who dont know, much higher than atkins (72 grams carbs) but , to me, much more livable.i am losing weight slower than the extreme plans but i can attend family functions, have a few carbs, (wine, little goodies) now and then and, for me, its the only way i can do this. i have tried induction before and couldn't do it for more than a week. also, i am a senior and doing anything considered abit "extreme" affects me more than a younger person. anyway, would like to hear from some others on this link. tell me how and what you are doing..best wishes
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-24-14, 11:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/154/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 52%

Hi, Dottiedo.

I have been semi-low-carb during the past year due to an impending divorce and associated stress. I did gain back five pounds and just now am going back to a stricter food plan.

Once I am at my goal I will probably do just exactly as you are doing but when I err I usually am at around 50 carbs or so.

I am 63.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-24-14, 16:21
Registered Member

Plan: Montignac
Stats: 150/150/110 Female 63.0 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I am here. I follow the Montignac Method and it works out very well for me. I eat my whole grain carbs for breakfast, then follow low carb the rest of the day. I also have dark chocolate and wine occasionally.

My hat's off to those who can do Atkins. Without a few good carbs in my diet, I feel very sick.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-25-14, 08:44

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I'm currently more in the semi-low-carb group, trying some of the ideas of the Perfect Health Diet, including adding in some "safe starches" here and there. So far no clue about how it may be helping or hindering me. I'm still on a 5-year stall.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-25-14, 10:12
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

thx for the replies, it's good to know there are a few of us having some success with this....
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-28-14, 09:48
Registered Member

Plan: south beach, whole foods
Stats: 239/231/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I am returning to this message board realizing that I need help in maintaining the lifestyle. I'm 42 and have really gone off the wagon. I need to get back on track and am trying to do semi-low carb instead of going whole-hog. Some how when the kids were younger and life was less busy, I could follow the no-carb approach much easier. I have to keep reminding myself that I am on the road to diabetes and that I'm going to wind up on medication as well as muscle/body aches. I really need to loose a solid 50 lbs (guessing). Hoping that this board can keep me accountable!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-14, 14:45

Plan: State of Slim a.k.a. Colo
Stats: 235/229/130 Female 62 in
BF:
Progress: 6%

I think I fit here. I am new and following the Colorado Diet. I gave a pretty specific introduction to Colorado Diet on the introduction page.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...782#post8886782
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-14, 08:06
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Smile lets help each other

: :so looks like there are a few of us here, hanging in for the long hall. its amazing to me how much trouble we have all experienced with FOOD! i can remember as a small child, not thinking of food at all. we got up in the morning, ate what my mom put in front of us, got our stuff and went to school. at school we ate what she put in our lunch bag, when we got home , same thing at supper time. sometimes, if it was on the weekend, we got popcorn or peanuts and pop for a special treat and, oh yes, my mom always put a cookie or some cake on after supper was done. i think it began for me in highschool;the "am i too fat?" thing and soon enough, i was on the fast tract to yoyo dieting..once you begin the dieting stuff, you never have a healthy outlook on food again. except, now i have tried to put that diet thing behind me and eat better than i have in a long time; try to have the foods that trigger cravings out of my house as a matter of discipline..that is cookies, candy, cake, ect. the only time i have a treat is a special time, (birthdays, holidays) now, i consider a "treat" to be abit of real cream in my coffee and a pat of creamy cows butter on my vegies maybe some nice havarti on a ryekrisp in the afternoon..well, good eating to you all. here's to family gatherings and partaking of wonderful, filling foods in these gatherings and enjoying good company.everyone, start enjoying your life, and let it include FOOD! : :
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-14, 14:48
Registered Member

BF:

I love your line -

Smile lets help each other

I feel like I am having such a hard time getting started again. For every 1 step I take forward, 1 take 2 backward. I just can't get my act together and I'm not sure why. Sometimes I panic that my ring won't come off my finger (this has always been my test- how tight my wedding ring is and if I can also fit my engagement ring on the same finger). It's scary really. I want to do this, I really do, but why am I so lazy with cooking? Since having gotten a puppy (who is almost 7 months now) I have been walking 3-4 times a week which is good for both of us. I guess I feel like its just easier to cook a box of pasta for all of us instead of cooking something that is carb friendly for me along with something that is "normal" for the rest of the family. I would love to have a chef that prepared all my meals. I'd love to go back to the time when I didn't have to worry about what others were eating. For me it really started when I was about 14. I lost a good amount of weight and looked great as a freshman in high school, then it started creeping on... managed to get through college and my wedding... but after being married and having the kids... I just don't know... it's tougher to be committed! Help!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-14, 09:02
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

oh i know how you feel; i am by myself now, kids all grown up and gone and, sadly, hubby passed away. it is easier for a person who doesnt have to cook for others. you probably should just cook a somewhat "regular" meal for the family but up the protein part abit, or add a piece or two of chicken, steak or whatever, just for you. then just eat alot of the vegie, scarf down the protein and let the family have the carbs. i am on "life without bread" now so i actually can have 72 carb grams a day. sometimes i will allow myself one/half cup potatoes mixed with onion, pickles, eggs and mayo (all allowed) for a nice little salad for 14 carbs. in the old days, i would probably have a cup or two of just potatoe salad! but it seems to satisfy me anyway. you could also leave the table after you have finished and have some 70% dark chocolate, (5 carbs a serving) and 4 ounces dry red wine (4 carbs) so now we see 25 total carbs for a nice meal and dessert. sooner or later, you will see results on the scale, just not as fast as Atkins. i have heard anything UNDER 100 carbs daily is considered low carb....just relax, love yourself and enjoy all the great veggies and steaks and even some berries and cream. i will admit i dont go crazy with butter or cheese, or even nuts, but it doesnt take much to satisfy.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-14, 09:22

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:

I hear you vabmail. I remember when I was 42 and deep into the kids thing and family meals (I'm a sole empty nester now). what a very busy and pressured time of life you have, no wonder you are not so gung ho on meal planning and extra work, which as you know is what it takes because convenience food is almost always too carby.

Could we break your job of managing family meals into baby steps? Here's a few things that helped me. I had my 3d and last child in high school when we really transformed our food. She was skeptical at first but when she experienced how great the food was, and then compared with her friends' struggles with bad food and acne and weight and moodiness, yuck o!

In no particular order:

Have the family work with you on favorite menu items that meet the must-haves: things they like, and not too much work for you. We had separate lists for good breakfasts, lunches, and dinners.

Stage the transformation one meal at a time. First learn to make good breakfasts: shopping, cooking, having things ready. Then do lunches. Then dinners. After a couple-3 months all your meals will be right on!

On weekends, shop on one day, and cook ahead the next. Too much to do all in one day. My kids absolutely loved this. it meant that at least one predictable day a week, I would come home from the store with their favorite things for a week. (And we knew it was their favorites because they had to help with the menu lists). If you freeze things like meat loaf it's almost as easy as the box of pasta.

On a moderate low carb plan you can make most recipes with just a little modification. I love meat loaf with oatmeal; I just cut down the oats a little, add more egg, and don't do the ketchup on top but instead have a little squirt when we serve it. Soooooo good.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-14, 12:10
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the encouragement guys. Dinner seems to be the hardest for me. I can do fairly well with breakfast and lunch. So I guess I really just need to concentrate on dinner and how to swop out the bad carbs for good carbs. My son LOVES salad so that is an easy fix for me, but my daughter is much pickier with veggies. And my husband, forget about it. I definitely need to find some low carb substitutes for flour (pancakes) and breadcrumbs. I'm working on it ladies - one step at a time!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-14, 17:02

BF:

I'm picky with vegetables too. They have to be cooked and not bitter or slimy. well, not vegetable-like actually ha ha.

I had a chef boyfriend that gave me a low-carb topping that makes ANY veg taste better:

2 parts sliced almonds (like 4 Tbs)
1 part minced ginger (like 2 Tbs)
saute in a mix of butter and olive oil until the almonds are toasty and aromatic (be careful, they burn about 2 seconds after they're perfect)
add white pepper and salt

Then sprinkle it on anything. Soooo good and gets some fat added so people are actually satisfied with veggies. amazing
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-14, 06:22
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Seejay - the topping sounds great! I now have to start stocking my refrigerator with veggies so that I always have them on hand. I am excited that I joined a farm share this summer so I will have lots of fresh organic veggies from the farm. It's fun to figure out what to do with the selection from each week.

I have to say - last night worked out well for me. I made to cheeseburgers but was only able to eat a little over 1 and enjoyed the red cabbage slow I made. I did have a few onion rings, but I forgave myself for those because the rest of the day was awesome. Later for dessert I had my old staple - ricotta cheese, agave, cinnamon and raisins. Happy to be on the right track again... though I was thinking of ordering pizza tonight since we need a quick dinner - not really in the mood for a salad from there but might just order for the family and make my own chef salad from stuff I have at home.

thanks everyone for the encouragement.

My mom has battled weight issues since she was 9 and she often tells me to get this in check while I'm young, so I'm trying. I really, really am.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-14, 08:12

BF:

Yay! one dinner down! Your mom is so right. However you are already light years ahead by knowing so much and working on your routines. Very impressive!