Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 16:02
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Maureen, Congratulations! It's good to hear success stories.

I did the line test but I got the opposite of Koko. It didn't immediately turn red, but it didn't turn white either. Now many minutes later, I have white lines, but the surrounding area is red.

Wanda
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-03, 12:08

Plan: South Beach-esque
Stats: 194/159/140 Female 5'3"
BF:34% / 28% / 20%
Progress: 65%

Thanks for posting these tests - interesting.

>You should see your pupil contract immediately after the light hits the eye. The pupil will normally stay contracted, but if you have adrenal fatigue, the pupil won't be able to hold its contraction and will dilate. <

Hmm... I wonder if this has anything to do with being really sensitive to light? I love overcast days and evening, wear contact lenses, and have very light-sensitive eyes - bright light hurts, I prefer dim.

But... last week on a long drive, when I had tons of energy (surprisingly) and it was bright out, I felt no need to use sunglasses and actually enjoyed it. This was after a few days of trying bee pollen and copper (copper's known as an adrenal supporter - but be careful with dosages as too much can be dangerous). Made me really wonder...
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-03, 13:05
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Cbcb:

Light sensitivity is a definate symptom of adrenal fatigue. Dr. Wilson doesn't explain physiologically why the pupil doesn't stay contracted when the eye is subject to light. But it does make sense that people with adrenal fatigue would be light sensitive since the dilation of the eye would allow more light in.

Pretty cool huh? Glad your photosensitivity is getting better.

Wanda
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-03, 13:31

Plan: South Beach-esque
Stats: 194/159/140 Female 5'3"
BF:34% / 28% / 20%
Progress: 65%

WCollier,

Thanks for the reply. You know, after almost two days of great energy and an abrupt change in sunlight tolerance, I wound up really tired again. (More evidence of the need to nurture the adrenals, no doubt.)

The only recent change in my diet was using a copper supplement, and trying some bee pollen. On the theory the change might be copper related, I went looking and found an interesting page on copper:

http://www.chemicalbalance.com/copper.htm

Among the things it mentions:

>An important way to reduce high copper levels is to enhance the activity of the adrenal glands. The adrenals cause the liver to secrete ceruloplasmin, which binds and removes copper. Adrenal underactivity causes a deficiency of available copper, and allows unbound copper to build up in the tissues. Adrenal glandular substance is also frequently helpful.
Exercise temporarily stimulates the adrenals, which helps eliminate copper. One needs to keep exercising or the copper toxicity symptoms, fatigue, mood swings and depression will return.<

Also... (just a few of those listed)...

>What Copper does in the body:
Helps oxidize glucose and release energy.
Aids the thyroid gland in balancing and secreting hormones.
Increases the body’s energy levels.
Aids in nerve and brain function
Associated with intestinal enzyme activity. .
Copper level in the body parallels estrogen levels.
Copper is a natural yeast fighter <

...and...

>Psychological Symptoms of Low Copper:
Binge eaters have been found to have lower levels.<

-CB
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-03, 18:13
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi CB:

That's interesting info about copper. Many of the low copper symptoms on that list are the same for adrenal fatigue. My multi doesn't have copper or iron. Hmmm....

Wanda
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 13:25

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 115/115/115
BF:
Progress:

Oh, wow, y'all this is great info. I definitely need to get the cortisol test now. I am way sensitive to sunlight and I believe I have a slight copper issue. When we first moved into this house, we made the mistake of putting a whole-house-filter on the system and leached a lot of copper into our water (which we were drinking). The low bioavailability thing along with the tissue build up is very interesting.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 01:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 207/168/150 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default Pen test

I tried the ink pen test on my abs and the white line disappeared, with no red line and with no wider white line remaining. What does that mean? I am new to this, so please bear with me...
Shell
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 10:21

Plan: schwarzbein
Stats: 160/148/135 Female 65
BF:31 %
Progress: 48%

I know this is an old thread, but found this interesting. My pupils got small, then dialated. Interesting... No wonder I have to have my sunglasses outside even on a cloudy day.