Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-02-15, 07:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 193/180/155 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default Flat/firm tummy

I work nights, and am on my feet for more than half of my shift. What exercises can I do besides walking to help flatten and tighten my abdominal muscles at work, situps would not be something I can do at work. I do leg lifts and crunches at home, but only a couple times a week, when I am not working.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-02-15, 08:20

Plan: 98% *low-carb* 2% *yolo*
Stats: 275/240/175 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 35%

I just started doing planks about 3 weeks ago..I can only hold my planks for 5-6 seconds each time, and I only do two planks a day, but I definitely think they would help flatten and tighten up your tummy, as it's certainly working for me. I've lost 5" around my tummy and another 5" off my waist since June 1st...with the majority of those inches really starting to come off since doing the planks.

If you look at my journal, ~ Onederland ~ I just started my own little 55 day 'plank' challenge TODAY ...your welcome to try it to see if it helps you.
My goal is to do two planks a day, holding each one for 6 seconds on the first day, and then every scheduled workout day (5 x weekly) increasing that hold by one SECOND....so hopefully after 55 days, I will be able to hold my planks for a full minute

Last edited by On3derland : Sun, Aug-02-15 at 08:24. Reason: can't spell this early in the morning without at least 1 pitcher of coffee in me...hahaha
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-02-15, 22:57

Plan: 98% *low-carb* 2% *yolo*
Stats: 275/240/175 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 35%

oh, shoot, I'm sorry...I somehow didn't see the 'sit ups' part of your post..and so it just dawned on me that 'planks' would probably not be an option.

My other thoughts would be side bends and/or twists. These would work your tummy and oblique muscles. They are usually done with hand weights but I would think you could do them without and still see some results from doing these.

when your walking around on the night shift, get into a habit of contracting and then relaxing your abdominal & tummy muscles as you walk...doing this daily can also very effective.

sorry again for my earlier reply...I guess I was reading too fast when I originally replied.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-07-15, 08:31

Plan: LC/carnivore 6/26/23
Stats: 200/194/137 Female 5 feet 6.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

if you don't have high blood pressure and aren't pregnant

I would recommend Body Flex - it is a breathing technique and there are a few poses for abs and lower abs and you just need to be on an empty stomach to do them

Greer Childs was the woman I had on a DVD or VHS many years ago. when I used to do them every day I had a flat tummy and my tummy is not that bad now but i want to go back to them
i memorized the technique once you learn the breathing technique you are good to go
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-07-15, 10:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

One thing I do throughout the day that helps both tummy and lower back is pelvic tilts. Tuck your tailbone up and in as much as you can, and hold for a couple of seconds. Then push it back, and hold.

Imagine doing just the lower back portion of cat and dog pose in yoga, but standing up, instead of on all fours. It's really helpful.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-07-15, 11:05

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Another thing you can do is just engage your abdominal muscles throughout the day. In other words, suck in your gut! My husband does these and nothing else and has great abs. It helps with posture and you can do it any time so you don't need anything special. You can even do it while carrying out your duties.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-07-15, 12:16

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
Another thing you can do is just engage your abdominal muscles throughout the day.

This!

And don't forget to engage your abs in ALL activities. Lifting a heavy box? Use your thighs (and not your back) but also use your abs (and not your back).
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Dec-11-15, 11:49

Plan: zero carb
Stats: 275/273/135 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 1%
Default cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
Another thing you can do is just engage your abdominal muscles throughout the day. In other words, suck in your gut! My husband does these and nothing else and has great abs. It helps with posture and you can do it any time so you don't need anything special. You can even do it while carrying out your duties.

I;m going to have to try this thanks