Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-10, 07:05
Registered Member

Plan: Meat, Fish, Eggs
Stats: 220/200/200 Male 72 inches
BF:We all have it
Progress: 100%
Default Coconut Oil May Promote Inflammation

I enjoy coconut. This article disturbs me.

http://fanaticcook.blogspot.com/201...flammation.html
http://www.acc.org/media/releases/h...igh_sat_fat.pdf
Quote:
Fanatic Cook
Sunday, January 24, 2010
Coconut Oil May Promote Inflammation

This is a follow-up to the chart in "Inflammatory Effects Of Common Oils" where coconut oil showed up as pro-inflammatory (using NutritionData's methodology).

Here's a small study that found a meal rich in coconut oil, where the fat is primarily saturated (compared to a meal high in safflower oil where the fat is primarily unsaturated) impaired the anti-inflammatory action of HDL, and resulted in impaired blood vessel function for several hours after the meal:

Consumption of Saturated Fat Impairs the Anti-Inflammatory Properties of High-Density Lipoproteins and endothelial Function, Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 2006

The aim of the study was:

"... to define the effect of consuming a single high-fat meal, differing in fatty acid composition, on the ability of high-density lipoproteins (HDLs) to inhibit the expression of proinflammatory adhesion molecules by endothelial cells and on large and small vessel function."

The meal:

"Subjects consumed 1 of 2 isocaloric meals comprising a slice of carrot cake and a milkshake containing 1 g of fat/kg of body weight. The first meal contained safflower oil. The second meal contained coconut oil."

Findings: The coconut oil meal reduced the anti-inflammatory properties of HDL, while the polyunsaturated fat meal actually enhanced those properties. (HDL was found to inhibit release of adhesion molecules from endothelium - from the lining of blood vessels. That's good. The presence of adhesion molecules (ICAM-1 and VCAM-1) can promote atherosclerosis.)

"Consumption of a saturated fat reduces the anti-inflammatory potential of HDL and impairs arterial endothelial function. In contrast, the anti-inflammatory activity of HDL improves after consumption of polyunsaturated fat. These findings highlight novel mechanisms by which different dietary fatty acids may influence key atherogenic processes."

Also, forearm blood flow increased more after the polyunsaturated than saturated fat (coconut oil) meal.

"Post-hyperemic forearm blood [microvascular] flow significantly increased 3 h after consumption of the polyunsaturated fat by 45 +/-14% and by 21 +/- 11% after the saturated fat meal."

The authors suspect it may be the result of fatty acid changes in the phospholipid layer (cell membrane) of the HDL after a meal.

Conclusion:

"The present study raises the possibility that the differential effects of dietary fats on the antiinflammatory potential of HDL and endothelial function may contribute to the apparent benefits of polyunsaturated over saturated diets observed in the epidemiologic literature."

Carrot cake + milkshake=meal?

The same blog has an article on corrupted research.
http://fanaticcook.blogspot.com/200...d-research.html

Last edited by Etchemin : Sat, Apr-17-10 at 07:46.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-10, 07:26

Plan: Paleo/Organic Fat Flush
Stats: 193/176/145 Female 5'4.5"
BF:42/31/24
Progress: 35%

It sounds like the coconut oil tested was the refined, industrial grade crap that is in most processed foods. I wonder if the coconut oil hadn't been surrounded by sugar and carbs if the results would have differed.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-10, 08:08
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Why is it mostly the only research anybody will do that involves saturated fat, HAS to be utterly buried in SUGAR? Like the research that has "bacon and twinkies" in in one group like they're the same thing. Or this which has to combine saturated fat with cake with icing and dairy milkshake? Like they just can't help vastly compounding the variables to do ANYTHING to make saturated fat look bad. (And as Kathy noted, I'd like to know whether they used an industrialized version of coconut oil, first.)
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-10, 09:39

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

An ambulance and tow truck also contribute to traffic jams but are they the primary cause of the accidents that ensue? Of course not, the ambulance and tow truck are there to repair the damage done. So what's the cause of the accidents? Probably some moron who doesn't drive properly.

So, does coconut oil (i.e. palmitic acid) cause the damage or is it there to fix the damage that some other moron (i.e. glucose + insulin) did?

What's the hypothesis anyway? If it's "saturated fat causes heart disease", that's been refuted.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-10, 09:44
Registered Member

Plan: Wingin' it.
Stats: 257/240.0/130 Female 65 inches
BF:yes!
Progress: 13%
Smile

The aim of the study was:

"... to define the effect of consuming a single high-fat meal, differing in fatty acid composition, on the ability of high-density lipoproteins (HDLs) to inhibit the expression of proinflammatory adhesion molecules by endothelial cells and on large and small vessel function."
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-10, 09:54

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

It still doesn't answer the question "what's the hypothesis". And it still looks like the hypothesis is "saturated fat causes heart disease and this is the mechanism by which it does so".
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-10, 10:01
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Chris Masterjohn replied to that research pointing out that it is possible the differences reported were not due to the saturated/unsaturated nature of the oil but the amount of Vitamin E it contained.
see here

However I suspect that a single meal is never a good trial.

If you've never eaten coconut oil your GI system will not be used to dealing with it. Try eating it every day for 3 months and then repeat the trial and it's possible you will have developed a gut flora that knows what it's dealing with and is well able to cope.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-10, 10:37
Registered Member

Smile

FTR, Chris Masterjohn was writing a letter to the editor to comment on this:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16904539

Objectives are mentioned in the study; hypothesis is not. Nothing is proved. But there are conclusions.

The conclusion of the above mentioned article was:
'Consumption of a saturated fat reduces the anti-inflammatory potential of HDL and impairs arterial endothelial function. In contrast, the anti-inflammatory activity of HDL improves after consumption of polyunsaturated fat. These findings highlight novel mechanisms by which different dietary fatty acids may influence key atherogenic processes.'

What Masterjohn said in his letter was that, since the oils were unrefined, vitamin E should be considered. 'The respective vitamin E concentrations of the oils may therefore have contributed to their observed differential effects on ICAM-1 and VCAM-1 expression. Future research should investigate the relative contribution of fatty acid composition and micronutrient composition to this effect.'
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-10, 10:45
Registered Member

Smile

'Why is it mostly the only research anybody will do that involves saturated fat, HAS to be utterly buried in SUGAR? '

The research shouldn't be buried in sugar. However, few people (relatively speaking) add coconut oil to their coffee when they drink it, or eat coconut oil directly from a spoon. Or fry with it. I've done all of the above, and it affects the taste of the food it is paired with. Not in a good way, for me, but that is me.

So if someone is going to put coconut oil in food, they put it with sugar, most likely because that is where it often appears and is palatable. And is in the dishes most people ingest.

Until Thai cuisine hit the restaurants and tables here, I don't think I had ever had coconut milk. Even in that case, the number of people in the U.S. eating coconut milk is relatively small. I cook Chinese food at home sometimes, Indian food and Thai food, too - but even then, it's a small part of our overall diet in my household.

If I go to the supermarket, what prepared food is likely to have coconut oil as an ingredient that I am likely to buy and take home and eat? I'm guessing next to none, actually, but coconut does appear on and in baked sweet goods.

You can take coconut away from sugar but it is likely to be eaten with sugar - now, anyway. Maybe in the future, that could change.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-10, 12:38

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

The purpose of those adhesion molecules is not to cause atherosclerosis, they're integral to the healing process.

Quote:
Effect on adhesion molecule expression. The presence of HDL collected after a saturated fat meal was accompanied
by a higher level of expression of intercellular adhesion
molecule-1 (ICAM-1) and vascular cell adhesion molecule-1
(VCAM-1) in the activated cells compared with HDL from
the fasting state. In contrast, HDL collected after the polyunsaturated fat meal was accompanied by a significantly lower level of expression of ICAM-1 and VCAM-1 (apparent at HDL apoA-I concentrations of 2, 4, and 8 mol/l). The cytokine-induced expression of ICAM-1 and VCAM-1 was higher than when the cells were incubated in the presence of HDL collected 6 h after the saturated compared with the polyunsaturated fat meal (Fig. 1).

Quote:
Expression of intercellular adhesion molecule-1 (ICAM-1) (A) and vascular cell adhesion molecule-1 (VCAM-1) (B) by activated human umbilical vein endothelial cells after incubation with high-density lipoprotein (HDL) isolated after a meal enriched with a polyunsaturated (open bars) or saturated (gray bars) fat. Cells were incubated with HDL at an apolipoprotein A-I concentration of 8 mol/l. Results are expressed as percentage of
expression in the presence of HDL isolated from fasting blood (solid bars) (mean  SEM). For difference between the meals: *p  0.007; **p  0.005.
A significant meal-time period interaction was found for both ICAM-1 (p  0.01) and VCAM-1 (p  0.04).

So the effect of HDL from subjects fed safflower oil or coconut oil on inflammatory markers in isolated umbilical cells was tested. What are the chances that these cells were somewhat traumatized in the process of isolation? I find it very hard to imagine that they weren't traumatized. HDL from safflower-oil fed subjects may have quenched inflammation in these cells, but as far as I'm concerned, those cells had every right to be traumatized.

Inflammation doesn't cause heart disease, misplaced, improperly co-ordinated, and unresolved inflammation is a more likely cause.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-10, 12:46
Registered Member

Smile

I don't know the cause of atherosclerosis. But isn't it possible for a process to have more than one effect?
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-10, 12:57
Registered Member

Smile

http://www.neurology.org/cgi/conten...ract/60/12/1890

This article discounts the role of adhesion molecules (cellular adhesion molecules) in patients with advanced carotid artery disease.

What's interesting is that the testing used human subjects but they already had advanced carotid artery disease!

Here's an article about the background of the adhesion molecule/athersclerois relationship:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...l00087-0138.pdf

Last edited by mathmaniac : Sat, Apr-17-10 at 13:12.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-10, 13:52

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Yes, a process can have more than one effect.

You can't have a mis-healing without many of the factors that go into proper healing being involved. You can't just point at an increase in one of these factors and declare that you have caused heart disease in isolated umbilical endothelial cells. This may or may not be a pathological response.

Every compound, hormone, enzyme etc. in the body has a legitimate purpose. That purpose is not to encourage cancer to grow, atherosclerosis to develop, etc.

I'm still reading the second article you posted, MathManiac. So far I'm at this part;

Quote:
Adhesion molecule expression is induced in vitro by the action of cytokines on endothelial cells. A basal level of ICAM-1 expression exists on resting small vessels; however, ELAM-1 and VCAM-1 are normally absent. Interleukin 1 IL-1 and tumor necrosis factor TNF induce ICAM-1, VCAM-1, and ELAM-1, whereas interferon gamma (IFN-g) induces ICAM-1 alone.8,9.13,14 In vivo,
these cytokines may be produced by several cell types;
in chronic inflammation activated macrophages are likely
to be an important source of IL-1 and TNF.19'20 T lymphocytes
produce IFN-g, together with IL4 and other cytokines
which modulate the effects of the IFN-g.21'22 Recently
IL-1 mRNA and TNF protein have been detected in
macrophages and smooth muscle cells of atherosclerotic
plaques.

Tumour necrosis factor induces ICAM-1 and VCAM-1?

I found this a while back on tumour necrosis factor and healing in mice;

Quote:
Abstract We examined the effects of lacking tumor necrosis factor α (TNFα) on the healing process of a cutaneous wound in mice using TNFα-deficient mice. A full-thickness circular cutaneous wound 5.0 mm in diameter was produced in the dorsal skin of wild-type (WT) or TNFα-null (KO) mice. After specific intervals of healing, the healing pattern was evaluated by macroscopic observation, histology, immunohistochemistry, or real-time reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction. Effect of Smad7 gene transfer on the healing phenotype of KO mice was also examined. The results showed that loss of TNFα promotes granulation tissue formation and retards reepithelialization in a circular wound in mouse dorsal skin. Immunohistochemistry showed that distribution of macrophages and myofibroblasts in newly generated granulation tissue seemed similar between WT and KO mice. However, lacking TNFα enhanced mRNA expression of TGFβ1 and collagen Iα2 in such tissue. Smad7 gene transfer counteracted excess granulation tissue formation in KO mice. In conclusion, lacking TNFα potentiates Smad-mediated fibrogenic reaction in healing dermis and retards reepithelialization in a healing mouse cutaneous wound."

Without tumour necrosis factor, stuff doesn't heal right.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-10, 14:22
Registered Member

Smile

'You can't just point at an increase in one of these factors and declare that you have caused heart disease in isolated umbilical endothelial cells. This may or may not be a pathological response.'

One thing that impresses me when reading these articles is that no one is declaring that heart disease is caused by anything.

If they say anything at all, it is that *this* suggests *that* and then the grand finale (conclusion), that *something* MAY lead to *something*.

While healing may be an interesting topic in itself, its relationship to atherosclerosis is what? They may share factors.

I included the second article (all I'm doing is googling this stuff) because it seemed to explain the background of the role of adhesion molecules. It is just a starting point. What about tumor necrosis factor? (Specifically, ' a healing mouse cutaneous wound.')

For a clear answer, I'd e-mail the author. (Tumor necrosis factor is not mentioned at all in the article about fats...)
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-10, 16:22

Plan: Low Carb - High Nutrition
Stats: 213/175/175 Male 72 Inches
BF: Belly Fat? Yes!
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
If it's "saturated fat causes heart disease", that's been refuted.

Not according to Doctors Oz and Ornish!