Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-08, 10:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%
Default This is why low carb has a hard time making headway...

Last year, Gina Kolata, in her shamelessly underthought review of Good Calories, Bad Calories, asked why, if low-carb was such an effective weightloss and management mechanism, had it not any effect on obesity rates.

The easy answer to that question was that while low fat had enjoyed massive governmental and medical support, low carb had experienced just the opposite: hostility, or at best, cautious ambivalence.

So to connect that back to reality, I noticed the handout my daughter (who is now in Kindergarten, and was a baby when I started low carbing) came home from school with a calendar of menus for September. There was a "Pyramid Puzzler" article that asked "How many pounds of potatoes does it take to make a pound of potato chips?" (the answer: 4).

It goes on to say that "Potatoes are one of the healthiest things you can eat, but potato chips are one of the least healthy."

So, right in the schools, at a very early age, they're being taught that potatoes are a highly healthy food (nutritionally that's not even close to correct, even if you aren't a low carber - potatoes bring little to the table but empty calories).

The day that low carb is being promoted in the schools for 2-3 decades, and has failed to the degree that low fat has, Kolata can write what she wrote. Right now, to low-carb, one must get support from the grassroots and actual dieters. Few public figures will endorse it, even when study after study after study confirms it as safe and effective.

They link to this website to back it up. It pimps grain, villainizes fats, the usual tap dance.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-08, 10:20

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/181.5/125 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

yeah, the school my son used to attend told us that french fries and corn were two vegetables served together most days. How can anyone justify french fries as a vegetable serving? The school dietician sure tried!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-08, 10:33
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/180/150 Male 170 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrasdad
potatoes bring little to the table but empty calories).

That's not even close to being true.

Quote:
potatoes as a very good source of vitamin C, a good source of vitamin B6, copper, potassium, manganese, and dietary fiber.

Quote:
Potatoes' Phytochemicals Rival Those in Broccoli

Potatoes' reputation as a high-carb, white starch has removed them from the meals of many a weight-conscious eater, but this stereotype is due for a significant overhaul. A new analytical method developed by Agricultural Research Service plant geneticist Roy Navarre has identified 60 different kinds of phytochemicals and vitamins in the skins and flesh of 100 wild and commercially grown potatoes. Analysis of Red and Norkotah potatoes revealed that these spuds' phenolic content rivals that of broccoli, spinach and Brussels sprouts, and includes flavonoids with protective activity against cardiovascular disease, respiratory problems and certain cancers. Navarre's team also identified potatoes with high levels of vitamin C, folic acid, quercetin and kukoamines. These last compounds, which have blood pressure lowering potential, have only been found in one other plant, Lycium chinense (a.k.a., wolfberry/gogi berry). How much kukoamine is needed for a blood pressure lowering effect in humans must be assessed before it can be determined whether an average portion of potatoes delivers enough to impact cardiovascular health. Still, potatoes' phytochemical profiles show it's time to shed their starch-only image; spuds-baked, steamed or healthy sautéed but not fried-deserve a place in your healthy way of eating.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?...odspice&dbid=48
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-08, 10:34

Plan: Bernstein (Guided)
Stats: 140/140/140 Female 5 feet 10 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:

It goes on to say that "Potatoes are one of the healthiest things you can eat, but potato chips are one of the least healthy."

I agree with your point here that low fat and low carb do not get compared on the same terms. What bothers me is that since information can change with new evidence, and there is no absolute evidence about the healthiest diet for all human beings, I don't think they have any grounds upon which to be handing out apparent facts about what is healthy to small children. Plus if her father has improved his own health by ignoring the suggestions that she is being taught...how confusing is that?
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-08, 10:54
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
potatoes as a very good source of vitamin C, a good source of vitamin B6, copper, potassium, manganese, and dietary fiber.

The first part of the sentence is missing, I am filling it in with "Compared to cardboard, potatoes as a very good source of vitamin C, a good source of vitamin B6, copper, potassium, manganese, and dietary fiber."

Seriously, there are other veggies out there that have much higher nutrients and don't carry the health risk that potatoes do.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-08, 11:01
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
The first part of the sentence is missing, I am filling it in with "Compared to cardboard,

Sarcasm is not the best approach to defend your beliefs.

Quote:
Baked, mashed, or boiled, potatoes actually provide more energy-delivering complex carbohydrates than a cup of pasta. All varieties--russet, red, yellow, purple, and sweet--contain impressive quantities of vitamins and minerals. Plus, they're easy to digest and prepare. "People often assume that because potatoes are white, they're a nutritionally empty food," says Tara Gidus, R.D., a spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association. "But the opposite is true."

http://www.runnersworld.com/article...12052-0,00.html
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-08, 11:19
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Oh for Pete's sake... compared to pasta I think the cardboard would win. They even spray nutrients on the grains they make the pasta out of and a potato still beats it?

Sarcasm has more vitamin C, potassium and manganese than absurdity.

You do realize this is a low carb forum, dontcha?
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-08, 11:22

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

Potatoes are a healthy food if you don't have blood glucose problems, or obesity. I give my 91 year old mother-in-law anything that has calories, and especially carbs - she could stand to gain 4 or 5 pounds.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-08, 11:36
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLL
Potatoes are a healthy food if you don't have blood glucose problems, or obesity. I give my 91 year old mother-in-law anything that has calories, and especially carbs - she could stand to gain 4 or 5 pounds.

Yup!

I'll eat a baked white potato once in a while now that I'm not looking for weight loss any longer.

But ....sweet potatoes are much better than their starchier cousins!!

After all, this is a low carb forum!!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-08, 11:50

Plan: tasty animals with butter
Stats: 170/115/110 Female 60"
BF:maintaining
Progress: 92%

If I want a treat I sometimes make potato skins (very, very scraped first ).
But no, potatoes are hardly healthy. They are more nutritionally void than all other veggies. Go to the usda nutrition database and compare potato with, say, steak. It's a real eye-opener.

The potato people want you to think you're getting lots of vitamin C in a potato, but the fact is that you wouldn't need the C if you weren't eating the potatoes in the first place!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-08, 12:39

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
the fact is that you wouldn't need the C if you weren't eating the potatoes in the first place!

Exactly! LOL
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-08, 13:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

I didn't mean to start the potato war, but it's just impossible to say that they bring much to the table from a pure nutritional standpoint. They are definitively NOT one of the "healthiest things you can eat." They don't even come close to that.

They aren't as nutrient-empty as a sugary drink, or a cookie, but they are lacking in comparison to vegetable alternatives.

They shouldn't be promoted as something they aren't. They are not terrible (as long as you're no planning to lose weight) but they are severely lacking compared to the multitude of alternatives.

That said, I"ll stand corrected that they bring nothing to the table. They bring nothing to the table compared to most alternatives. So yeah, I think it's nuts that schools are promoting them as nutritious.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-08, 13:34

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLL

Carbohydrates drive insulin drives fat accumulation. This means potatoes bring about blood glucose problems and obesity. Your argument sounds like this: Poison is safe as long as we don't get sick from it. But once we do, poison is no longer safe.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-08, 14:19
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
Carbohydrates drive insulin drives fat accumulation.

Quote:
"You lower potatoes' GI profile by eating them with fat or protein," says Leslie Bonci, R.D., director of sports medicine nutrition at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. Eating foods low on the glycemic index--which means the sugars are processed more slowly, delivering a steadier stream of energy

http://www.runnersworld.com/article...3-1X2-3,00.html
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-08, 14:25
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:

They shouldn't be promoted as something they aren't. They are not terrible (as long as you're no planning to lose weight) but they are severely lacking compared to the multitude of alternatives.

I disagree. Potatoes are in fact very nutritious.

Quote:
One large russet potato contains 63 grams of carbohydrates, zero grams of fat, eight grams of protein, and seven grams of fiber. It also provides 64 percent of your Daily Value of vitamin C, 53 percent of B6, and 1,600 milligrams of potassium--three times the amount in one large banana--which is critical for fluid balance and muscle function. A one-cup serving of sweet potatoes offers more than 700 percent of your Daily Value of vitamin A, 65 percent of vitamin C, and seven grams of fiber. All potatoes are rich sources of antioxidants, and russets rank among the top 20 vegetables containing these free radical fighting compounds.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article...2-1X2-3,00.html