Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Mon, Sep-21-15, 20:50
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
This could then set off alarms that the patient is high risk due not adhering to standards of care at which time the insurer could go through a process to determine whether the patient was a risk to insure. While all the elements of the ACA are not yet in place, this is the direction in which we are heading.

Sometimes, a person will say: surely 'the powers that be' (TPTB) would not do anything that would lead to say, a person dying of cancer, because then that person is not a consumer, so it's not in their best interests. But this overlooks that the driving motives behind all of this are far wider/higher/larger than that.

It is about control, first and foremost. You do not prevent or cure cancer with iodine, magnesium, bicarbonate and vitamin C regardless of how many consumers this avoidance kills, because the devastation to income of using this for that and a million other situations is undesired. -- And because having anything people can do on their own that does not require patented pharma is a whole thought model they don't want to encourage at all.

It would not help them to save some consumers only to undermine the entire base of nationwide consumers -- and inventory, because we are both. As consumers we are endless renters of physician/nursing services, but as inventory we can be endlessly re-sold to various interests, in a large world of interconnected services, surgeries, pharmaceuticals, machines and other sundry.

And it's not merely the endless supply of everything from gallbladder surgery to insulin to wheelchairs to CPAP masks, you understand, this is a pyramid; every industry has a whole world of subsidiary industries -- the ones that make copy machines and rubber gloves and file folders and nurse uniforms and x-ray machines and the little clamps that hold mice while you experiment on them. The scope of it is enormous beyond what any of us can wrap a head fully around.

So what is 'logical' in terms of a person being more or less useful to insurance as costing more or less is really not the criteria at work here. Establishing and increasing complete control of the larger picture is the larger goal. Actual science, let alone individual situations, are completely irrelevant to this, unless useful as a controlling factor or for accomplishing the former priority.

I guess that seems a little cynical, but I think this is the way it is. I admire people who have the optimism to think anything else.

PJ
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Mon, Sep-21-15, 21:52

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

PJ - After reading your response, I believe you and I are in agreement. My statement is very simple, as we move toward the full implementation of the Affordable Care Act (ACA), we will find that Standards of Care are of utmost importance in determining adherence by the medical providers and the patients. So when you state the following, "It would not help them to save some consumers only to undermine the entire base of nationwide consumers -- and inventory, because we are both." This dovetails with my point that when individuals refuse to follow Standards of Care (SoC) guidelines that physicians are recommending (or will be bound to recommend), it (the noncompliance) then would result in the patient being perceived as an insurance risk and could lead to insurance revocation for that patient. In other words, the SoC are the criteria upon which this whole system is based. If health is defined by prescribing statins to a person with total cholesterol over 200, then physicians must comply with this. If health is defined by a person with T2 or metabolic syndrome symptoms in general adhering to a low fat, high carb diet, physicians will be bound to recommend this.

Similar to this, the ACA requires people of all ages to be insured and to pay for insurance. Why? The system won't work unless the younger, lower cost medical patients are paying into the system to subsidize the older, higher cost medical patients. Therefore, the close scrutiny about adherence to Standards of Care to keep costs in line (regardless of the validity and effectiveness of the care standards being recommended) becomes an integral part of this system. It's already started with the dispensing of the Standards of Care. Just a matter of time for the hitting of the fan . . .
  #108   ^
Old Tue, Sep-22-15, 05:48
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

It's enough to make me wish for the comet.
  #109   ^
Old Tue, Sep-22-15, 07:06

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default More Depressing Data

Adding the news about CDC's new report on Obesity in America on this thread as they are related.

CDC: http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/prevalence-maps.html

Quote:
Obesity prevalence in 2014 varies across states and territories.

No state had a prevalence of obesity less than 20%.
5 states and the District of Columbia had a prevalence of obesity between 20% and <25%.
23 states, Guam and Puerto Rico had a prevalence of obesity between 25% and <30%.
19 states had a prevalence of obesity between 30% and <35%.
3 states (Arkansas, Mississippi and West Virginia) had a prevalence of obesity of 35% or greater.
The Midwest had the highest prevalence of obesity (30.7%), followed by the South (30.6%), the Northeast (27.3%), and the West (25.7%).

http://www.dietdoctor.com/the-ameri...es-a-new-record

Click on the link for those Maps of the spread of Obesity by state.

Quote:
The CDC just released new statistics over the American obesity epidemic, up to 2014. The result? It keeps getting worse.
Five states moved to a higher category compared to 2013, none moved in the other direction. Compared to the 80’s it’s a brand new world – and not in a good way.

The simplistic “eat less, move more” message is still not working. Nor is sudden unexplained gluttony or laziness the cause of the epidemic.

#110   ^
Old Tue, Sep-22-15, 09:19

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Adding the news about CDC's new report on Obesity in America on this thread as they are related.

CDC: http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/prevalence-maps.html

http://www.dietdoctor.com/the-ameri...es-a-new-record

Click on the link for those Maps of the spread of Obesity by state.

This is amazing more than surprising. We have a new category now called the politics of nutritional health of which the good people who frequent this forum are fully aware. I'm proud to be able to learn here; yet, it's becoming a situation where the approach to counter the ineffective or nonexistent responses to nutrition-based health epidemics must become more strident. The societal costs have become overwhelming, and it's still showing an upward trend with no serious solutions being considered.
  #111   ^
Old Wed, Sep-23-15, 04:15

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The surgeon general recently gave us his solution...just walk more!

This "news" barely made a ripple, I see short articles on CBS and CNN and a few locals. Media apparently feels a leveling off at a crazy high rate as not news worthy. Or so common and depressing they would rather cover the pope's visit.

However as Dr Eenfeldt pointed out, five states moved up in category!

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-obes...still-cdc-says/

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Sep-23-15 at 04:26.
  #112   ^
Old Wed, Sep-23-15, 08:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Would you like to hear something really depressing? Last night, husband and I were discussing diabetes. We disagreed on the percentage of the population who have it.

So, I googled percentage of population with metabolic syndrome. The true "pre-diabetes" is metabolic syndrome. It's gone from about a third adults over 50 about 15 years ago to 50% of adults over 60, today.