Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 13:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/148/140 Female 173.7cm
BF:
Progress: 77%
Default 1 week of induction , 5lbs down!!!

Even though i've stayed under the 20mg, that has been aided by plums,cherrys and diet cola which i've since been told i wasn't allowed........oh and a few dry roasted pea nuts..But I'VE LOST 5LBS!! i can't believe it , i stepped on the scales and thought i'd maybe have lost 1lb or 2.
Now i am off the fruit and the nuts, and cutting back on diet coke i am hoping next week goes better, i am craving doughnuts abit which is strange as i never really ate them b4? lol I'm knocking back the water due to a dry mouth.
I had a funny tasting mouth which i blamed on the cheese and fish......could that be the Ketosis?
I'm off to pick up Ketostix on wednesday just to make sure if i am or not but i'm just glad to have lost 5lbs.
Thank you all for your support,help,recipes,etc i've planned to keep the 20mg going til after my induction maybe a month or so if i can cope
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 13:33

Plan: ?????
Stats: 239.9/196/145 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 46%

Way too go!I think the taste is ketosis. You maybe one of the lucky ones who can get away with a bit more on LC(I am thank heavens).
I didn't do induction but wonder what it matters if you eat a bit of fruit as long as you stay under 20. Just curious.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 13:43
Registered Member

BF:
Question

Well that's what i thought as some days i was only reaching like 9mg ,so i thought 1 plum 2carbs wouldn't hurt, i used fitday.com to work it all out and it seemed to keep me under the 20! But.... i am guessing it is because fruits are sugary but i can't stomach Celery and i've also been bad and had a few dry roasted peanuts.
Even though i lost 5lbs i'm going to give it an extra go next week and try not to break out side of "allowed" foods and drinks
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 11:08

Stats: // Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 33%

The reason for induction is to clear your system of sugars and starches therebly beginning the process of breaking the carb addiction. Sugar is addictive. You are craving sugar (donuts) because you didn't do induction as it is meant to be done. You began your weight loss which is great but you didn't address the cravings that are often the downfall of changing one's diet. In addition, Dr. Atkin's research has found that there is no benefit to going below 20 grams and depending on what you are leaving out (my guess is essential veggies) it can actually be detrimental to your health). I highly recommend that you chose a book to read and read it so that you fully understand the reasons behind each step along the way. There is no magic formula. The allowed foods are allowed not because of some magical chemical reaction but because of their low gylcimic impact. You will feel better in the short and long run if you do induction as written.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 11:17
Registered Member

BF:
Default Thanks

yeh thanks for that, i said before in a previous message that i had my book on order and now i have read it i know how important it is to have my veggies and also realise how wrong it was to have slipped fruit and nuts in. But now i shall leave out anything which isn't on the "allowed list".
The cravings weren't so bad , and i am sure they will go now that i am behaving
Thanks for the help and advice , adding more veggies has helped me keep to the 20mg