Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#166   ^
Old Mon, Apr-27-09, 20:39

Plan: Pregnancy / Dr. K / SCD
Stats: 160/000/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 640%

I'm still trying to find the time to look through Homo Optimus regarding lil' annie's fructose question (WHY does this book not have an index??? Argh...), but wanted to mention something I discovered on the weekend.

There's an online translator at http://www.translatica.pl that does a pretty good job of translating the articles at

http://www.dr-kwaniewski.pl

and the other Polish-language sites. You have to cut and paste chunks of text, but it might be worth it if there's a particular topic you're interested in.

(I've tried translating some of the forum posts, with mixed results. I guess the translator has trouble with the sort of grammatical sloppiness that prevails on message boards!)
Sponsored Links
  #167   ^
Old Mon, Apr-27-09, 21:09

BF:

I just had the idea of searching the Polish web site for "fruktoza." In this introductory article, Optimal Nutrition ABC, he does say that fructose is the worst form of carbohydrate, for the following reason:

"At absorbing the glucose in intestines, a mechanism limiting the speed of handing it over to blood exists. At passing the fructose to blood he doesn't have such a mechanism, therefore eating the fructose causes the rapid growth of the blood sugar level. It causes the hypersecretion through the pancreas of insulin. They always allot her more than is needed what next the deficiency of the blood sugar causes (so-called hypoglycemia), and it is already harmful, and what's more it can be dangerous to the mastermind."

(Do we have any "masterminds" who can figure out what the last word is supposed to be? )
  #168   ^
Old Tue, Apr-28-09, 03:54

Plan: hunter-gatherer
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 5'6"
BF:breast feeding! ;)
Progress: 0%

what do you ladies eat your pate with? i can only imagine eating it on some rustic french bread.... which i am avoiding!
  #169   ^
Old Tue, Apr-28-09, 04:36

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestrange
what do you ladies eat your pate with?

A fork, usually.

You can also spread it on celery, small pieces of lettuce, or slices of cheese.
  #170   ^
Old Tue, Apr-28-09, 09:04
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
what do you ladies eat your pate with? i can only imagine eating it on some rustic french bread.... which i am avoiding!

I've been eating it on some rice crackers, which are within my carb limit. However, I think I'll probably switch and eat it plain after the crackers run out.
I have used the canoe shaped leaves of endive for stuff like that in the past. Daikon radish is supposed to be good too, haven't tried it. I saw some at the Asian market I went to that circles from the radish would be about the diameter of a teacup.
  #171   ^
Old Tue, Apr-28-09, 16:41

BF:

I just posted the following link somewhere else, and it occurred to me that it hasn't been discussed in this thread. It explains Dr. K's theory as to why the "piggish" way of eating (~40% fat, 40% carbs) is so harmful -- even worse, in his opinion, than a very high-carb "pasture" diet. This has to do with the hexose and pentose cycles, which are two different ways that our body can metabolize glucose.

http://www.ptbo.igs.net/~stanb/Heretical.htm

(scroll about 2/3 of the way down to see the article)
  #172   ^
Old Wed, Apr-29-09, 02:05

that makes sense, thanks for the link!
  #173   ^
Old Wed, Apr-29-09, 07:22

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Chef Michel Richard puts pate on apple slices. This is one of those ideas you can only suggest in the paleo forum; it's a bit carby.
  #174   ^
Old Wed, Apr-29-09, 09:26
Experimenter

BF:

Oooh, that sounds good. Sort of like prosciutto wrapped melon.
  #175   ^
Old Wed, Apr-29-09, 15:07

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Oooh, that sounds good. Sort of like prosciutto wrapped melon.

Mmm, prosciutto... that used to be my only SCD-legal processed meat treat.

Now that I've been high-fat for a while, though, the saltiness is a problem. And my beloved Danish Havarti is almost revoltingly salty. I'm even enjoying unsalted cheeses, which used to taste all wrong to me.

This morning, I discovered that we were out of eggs -- panic stations!!! I found some organic turkey bacon in the freezer, and cooked it in a pan with spinach, spring onions, green garlic, and a ton of unsalted butter. The result was delicious, but, again, much saltier than I would have liked.

Now, this is coming from someone who's always loved salt. I used to sneak it by the spoonful as a child. And "Nourishing Traditions" talks as if salt has been regarded as a necessity in every healthy traditional culture... but it appears that JK is correct that it's not essential on a high-fat diet. I wonder why?

It's not as if my adrenal glands are suddenly in great shape. I'm still dependent on my 1-2 cups of coffee to get through the day, and I'm having as much trouble as usual staying hydrated in warm weather. But the desire for salt is just gone. It's quite mysterious.
  #176   ^
Old Wed, Apr-29-09, 15:12
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Pangolina, I used to love olives, and now am put off by their shocking saltiness.
  #177   ^
Old Sat, May-09-09, 02:52

this is a great thread... anyone able to explain to me why the OD wants to avoid ketosis? i just went out of it....trying to sort this all out. thanks!
  #178   ^
Old Sat, May-09-09, 08:48
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
this is a great thread... anyone able to explain to me why the OD wants to avoid ketosis? i just went out of it....trying to sort this all out. thanks!

The author says things like "it's hard on the body". But I haven't heard anything more scientific than that.
  #179   ^
Old Sun, May-17-09, 08:29

hmm... interesting. I wonder why he thinks that?
  #180   ^
Old Mon, May-18-09, 01:24

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
hmm... interesting. I wonder why he thinks that?

Look up the newbies thread and read all the posts about how people suffer from "induction flu" when they suddenly switch to a very low-carb diet from a high-carb diet. Maybe that is what Dr K meant??? I think the body can cope perfectly well with low-carb once it gets used to it, but a sudden switch from 100s of grammes of carbs per day to only 20g is a huge change for the body.

When I switched from a high-carb diet to around 70g of carbs a day, I also had trouble but after about 10 days things settled down.

amanda