Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-25-02, 13:02

Plan: Eclectic
Stats: 205/190/145
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Starting Today

Hello.
I have been planning and working up to a yeast recovery program since November and am putting the plan into BIG action starting now. I could sure use some support or buddies or someone to talk to that understands. I have started with eliminating the sugars, other dietary considerations and adding supplements. Having slipped some over the last week due to the holidays and a visit HOME, I am again withdrawing from sugars. I will start the antifungal agents in force January 1 or so. I am frightened of the die off, having attempted this sort of a plan about 15 years ago under a naturopath's supervision and having die off so bad I thought I was losing my mind and failed to complete the program out of fear (looking back, not especially good supervision, eh?!). So if anyone else is in this process or has done it or just wants to chat and support, be in touch ok? Thanks. LocaJo
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-27-02, 10:58

Plan: Low Carb/Anti-Candida
Stats: 203.5/161.0/135 Female 5ft3"
BF:??
Progress: 62%

Hi Locajo- Wishing you the best in your endeavor to "slay the Yeast Beast". Fungal conditions (which yeast actually is) are/ or can be EXTREMELY hard to kill b/c the dna in yeast is SO similar to that of a human, so really the best way to kill it is starve it to death i.e. no sugar, grains, yeasty foods, etc. Low Carb is perfect! The anti-fungals are also great w/rx like Diflucan, Nystatin & others, but the otc also work well too such as: olive leaf extract, grapefruit seed extract, caprylic acid, oregano oil, pau d'arco tea, acidophilus(good bacteria) & others. Just go slow if your "die off" if it is too much. Better to kill a little at a time than none at all. Definitely oust the sugar though and go easy on the antibiotics! Olive leaf extract and grapefruit seed extract are also good for bacterial infections,which is an added bonus . 'The Yeast Beast " can indeed be slayed, so just keep at it and don't give up! I'm trying to win the battle too after years of being over-dosed on antibiotics!
Hope this helps some! Take Care! -Hezz
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-27-02, 20:29

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 181/173.5/135 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default I need a buddy?

Being a slave to sugar is one of the worst things in the world and couple that with the Beasty Yeasties and you have a royal mess. I've been launching a half hearted attack against these buggers for about a year now. My lack of dedication has caused me to go systemic. Whenever I eat too much sugar I get bronchitis, allergies flare up, and sinusitis runs rampid.

I made a pledge today to start an all out attack....no sugar...anti-fungal agents to fight this thing once and for all. I would love to buddy up with you to report and support each other during this battle. What kind of anti-fungals do you prefer? I'm using Yeast Cleanse, SF722 (short chain fatty acid), acidophilus/bifidus, vitamin C, garlic, and grape fruit seed extract. I was told to rotate each one from week to week in conjunction with the acidophilus/bifidus and Vit. C each day.

Let's do this!

Arnie
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Dec-28-02, 18:25

BF:
Default YES!!!

Ok, Arnie...ya got yourself a buddy...cuz I need one too. I am off sugar now two days...but each day is a new struggle. Also artificial sweetners 'cept stevia (which is real anway)...and refined flours. Not really counting carbs or anything...eating sprouted grain bread and drinking sparkling water! Just letting go of the sugar and diet soda and I have lost 4 lbs. I am starting Caprycin right after the new year. Right now I am using garlic, olive oil, ginger for healing, acidopholus and bifudus and biotin, lots of immune enhancing vitamins and minerals. I'm using a book called Candida Albicans as my guide, can't afford a naturopath just now though I have seen one in the past. It is a major commitment. I feel that I will be working at this for a minimum of three months and probably longer, and need to NEVER go back to eating sugar. Ever. And while that is difficult to think of, I think when it comes down to it, the three months OFF of sugar and sweetners will definitely change the brain and tastes. So what have been your stragegies and what will you do now? Jo
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-29-02, 09:30

BF:

I too use stevia. I have not given up Diet Rite yet, but I know I have to in order to rid myself of sugar addiction. How is the sprouted bread? I was told that I could have a complex carbs after the first 14 days of meat, veggies, water, no white vinegar, no aged cheese, mushrooms, etc. I've been too afraid to add it for fear of a reaction. As soon as I eat something my body doesn't like I have an immediate reaction. My stomach blows up like a balloon! I am not counting carbs, just following the regular yeast fighting plan.

Have you heard of Karen Tripp? She has a page on Candida on the geocities website. She said she ate things with vinegar, cheese, and complex carbs as long as they were cooked. I think the cooking is supposed to kill the mold or something. When you get a chance, take a look and tell me what you think.

B- 1 egg-cheddar( I know not allowed), decaf coffee

L- turkey-salad

D- baked chicken wings, celery, and carrots w. Ranch dressing
fruit salad( not allowed)
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-29-02, 09:37

BF:
Default strategy, strategy

I was under a doctor's supervision a year ago, but I too am going at it alone. I feel like I have enough resources, have read enough that I know what to do. I will ask my doctor about the Karen Tripp page. My homeopathic friend said that each person with candida is different. Some people can handle fruit and whole grain bread while others can not. She said you basicly have to experiment to find out what works for you. Before starting this I did go have a candida antibody test done, but the results were inconclusive, which meant I'm borderline systemic. That was before the cheating holidays, so I will assume I am no longer borderline.

Go you!!!!!! 4lbs from eliminating sugar and diet soda. What's your strategy for preventing or not giving in to a sugar urge? Last night I caved in with the fruit salad. My plan today is to get a large glass of water and just walk away! I figure its going to take at least a month of no sugar to get this body and brain trained.

Arnie
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-03, 15:46

Plan: atkins/cook=yeast/
Stats: 185/180/145
BF:
Progress: 13%

ok, you've found a buddy. me. i started my new life about two weeks ago - yeast so out of control it was a bit frightening. back in the saddle. i'm feeling sooooo much better just as a result of lc'ing. lots of supplements (had been a heavy drinker, eater - huge carb addict...night eating syndrome (yuck) - gained close to 50 lbs in the last year - BRAIN FOG not to be believed, and the added bonus of an aggressive rash (itchy - yikes!)). i got so tired of being tired and having such a low level of interest in life. but honestly i felt so terribly miserable physically (night sweats, no sleep, mood swings, 'roids...the list goes on and on) i had been beating myself up re losing weight forever. nothing happened...i could not motivate until i woke up one morning and felt like a bloody train wreck! it was a bit scary to be honest (oh, did i forget to mention the lovely nail fungus i have on my poor big toes?i live in dallas, tx - where folks are quite groomed - expecially in the nail and toenal department. and, as the weather is quite warm, sandal wearing is the norm. i feel as tho the whole world is focused on my icky feet). i am rambling..sorry. so here we are - i am going to get better. i am so very focused and clear headed for a change (no alcohol will do that, yeast or no yeast!) that perhaps we can hold hands and do this thing together! are you game?
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-03, 18:16

BF:
Default Yes!!

Yes I'm game. To kick these buggers we're gonna have to do a lot of hand holding. Are you taking any supplements? If so, which ones. I'v e been fighting a bout of bronchitis for the last 10 days, so I haven't been LCing like I should, but come Monday I'm back in the saddle for good.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-03, 22:07

BF:
Default ah heck

I just made this long post and then RAN off to yoga and forgot to send it...and now it's gone. Oh well. Needless to say, the yoga was good and I am home now. I won't try to regenerate the same post though. Sorry I missed your post Susie. Looking forward to the threesome of yeastbusters! Keep on the lc no sugar etc thing and let's meet here often! Arnie, remember that die off is often a worsening of your symptoms...be careful not to fall off the yeastbeater diet when you feel bad...becomes catch22. Not good. I am being a scarty cat about starting the antifungal but I gotta do it soon. Sugar free, artificial sweet'ner free, refined flour free...just quit the other sweet stuff like honey and fruit (at least temporarily) and am as ready as I will ever be. Friday...right? Friday I will start the capricyn...slooooooowly. BTW, I have looked at that woman's site that you mentioned. There were things about it that were helpful. I have read a lot of stuff on the web. And that resources guide is GREAT in the other thread here. Ok, gang, keep up the good work for the healing of our beloved bodies! Hear soon! LocaJo
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-03, 10:54

BF:
Default Taking the leap

I took ONE capricyn Thursday. Two on Friday. Today will be the first day of a full (3), if small, dosage. A week of that then increasing slowly and watching for the die off. That's the plan.

How are you guys doing?

Jo
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-03, 17:42

BF:

Doing great, so far so good. Cut out the sugar free soda, still eating roasted almonds though. I spoke with my doctor and he seems to think my bronchitis was brought on by a vigorous reaction to taking too many supplements to fight the yeast. I'm better now, so heres to tomorrow.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-03, 00:50

BF:
Default Gotta watch out for the darn die off!

I am going So SLOW! But so far not feeling too bad. The worst thing I have had so far is more cravings for sugar. Think I got that under control again, and have gotten up to 2 Capricyn 3 times a day. That's good. Added more Vit. C to help with the detox, nearly 4 g a day now, bowel tolerance is the key to how much is too much...it all washes through in the bathroom anyway! SusieB are you still around? Arnie, go slow, be alert to die off...but don't give up! This is definitely fixable.

Jo
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 09:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/160/130
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Looking for support as well

I found this entire site awhile ago but just recently bought the Atkins book once I was alert enough to realize that I could do this lifestyle for Candida. I was diagnosed a few years ago with yeast problems and have so many issues associated with them at this point I need to get my butt in gear! I am currently six months pregnant with my first child so I am not really looking to lose weight until after breastfeeding. However, I definitely would love the support of others to keep me on track.
I have used stevia for quite a while and it works great for me. The cookbook hasn't gotten much use because I am lazy in the kitchen but that is going to change soon. I am in school for two classes this semester ( I am 28 and someday I will finish!) so I have the time to cook and adjust my diet. One thing that may help you all is the use of Glycine. The stuff I have comes in capsule form and if you poke a small hole in the capsule you can squeeze it out like a pixie stick. It has a sweet taste to it and can help curb the sugar craving. I got it from my doctor who is a kinesiologist which is how I was diagnosed. I strongly recommend this approach to anyone! Kinesiology is a form of muscle testing where your body shows resistance to the things you have problems with. I was very skeptical at first but after being tested for everything under the sun in four years I was ready FOR ANYTHING THAT WOULD HELP. It is amazing to me how many of my health problems are related to sugar and yeast. When I took the yeast quiz in one of my books I saw how things that were happening to me were attributed to the yeast and sugars I was consuming.
Anyway, this is running on it seems but I look forward to joining the fight if you don't mind. It doesn't seem like this board in particular gets a lot of use so I shouldn't get lost.
As for the cleansing, I have never done it because I went to my doctor who tested me bi-weekly for the progress of my problems. Once I got on the right track I felt a million times better. Unfortunately I didn't stick with it because I quit my job and had no money to keep going. Oh well, live and learn!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 11:24

Plan: Low Carb/Anti-Candida
Stats: 203.5/161.0/135 Female 5ft3"
BF:??
Progress: 62%
Smile Hi abbey

Hello! I am a 29 yr. old mother and actually nursing my 5th, but trying to kill this "yeast beast" too! It is SOO stubborn! Right now I've been using olive leaf extract, grapefruit seed extract, pau d'arco (pill form) and garlic to try and destroy these NASTY critters! These are also good for infections too, as I seem to have chronic sinusitis and allergy problems, so they are kind of a 2 fold help right now w/keeping infections under control and as anti-fungals. I'm SOO tired of feeling tired and run doowwnn! So I hope to get this under control w/low carbing and supplements. I was MAJORLY OD'd on antibiotics for years and also had a POWERFUL sweet tooth which is a DEADLY combo! I still struggle w/some powerful sugar cravings, but am trying to incorporate more fat (good ones) into my diet to help "satiate" these cravings. I also use some a.s. such as sweet n low, splenda and stevia w/fiber. I haven't actually given up tea, cheese or vinegar, but am not trying to induce to HEAVY a die-off at first. My big problem is not getting enough water in - so am trying to work on that one. My weight loss has been kind of slow w/nursing and all and the candida on top of it, but I'm not giving up as I NEED to feel better! I'm also trying to add at least 30 min. of exercise in which sweating helps release toxins from your body too. Well I wish you the best in your pregnancy and after and in your continuing battle for better health! Take Care!
-Hezz
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 11:40

BF:
Default Welcome Abbey!

The kinesiologist I went to for awhile before I moved to where I am now did not diagnose candida nor do any sensitivity testing. He did however recommend and sell me a bunch of the supplements I am taking now through my own research. My only complaint about naturopathic medicine is that the practitioners have a tendency to not be very forthcoming with their methods and practices so it comes off LOOKING like woowoo medicine to an already skeptical world brainwashed by the AMA. (Not me...I want the woowoo, I just wanna know what it is they are doing and a detailed account of what is happening in my body as far as a professional can tell.)

Congratulations on your baby! And I am 43 and would love to be in school to finish my BA!

I am doing ok with the slow cleanse and the no yeastfeed (sugar, refined grains...THEIR food). The only time I have any cravings is when I have had a slip and the after effects of that. I also think one of the die off effects is a bit more desire for these things I do not eat anymore, but nothing unmanageable. I do not follow an especially close lc diet...the book Candida Albicans recommends 50-100 grams of carbs a day. Cutting out the sugar, going easy on the whole grains, making that goal is fairly easy. I am a GO diet fan and probably the way I eat could be construed as that plan. Lots of vegies, adequate protein, lots of fiber, and cultured milk...kefir mostly, the occasional other cultured item (yogurt, fil mjolk), all of which I make myself. But still, mostly I am just paying attention to the sugar thing. And I am loosing slowly but steadily.

Sure hope you will come by often (and not get lost). It'sgreat to have some bodies to talk to!

jo