Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-19-12, 21:23

Plan: God's Will Be Done
Stats: 306/189/162 Female 5'7
BF:Morris Chestnut
Progress: 81%
Default Eden Organic Black Soy Beans

the fact that they look like red kidney beans in taste and texture is just fine by me. i used one can in my Sunday stew pot. my only regret is that i just ordered two cans but that's because i had to make sure they passed the test first.

well, they for sure past the test so i will put a whole case on order to keep in my pantry.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-12, 12:41

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

I like them too, though I don't use them more than about twice a year. I don't know what to think about soy; the things I've read are quite polarized.

They make good refried beans. They work in chili. Some people make them into chocolate cake.

I've made the cake recipe with the regular black beans called for, but I haven't tried it with black soy beans. The cake definitely improves with age in the fridge and definitely caused me to gain weight that week, probably because I couldn't stop eating it and because it's moderately carby (but it would be less so made with the soy beans). If you make the cake, make it in advance and let it age in the fridge.

You probably don't need to order them online. I can find them at Whole Foods, health food stores, some grocery stores and for a lower price than netrition charges.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-12, 12:50

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

I always keep a can or two of these in my pantry. I add them to chili, among other things.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-12, 18:44

Plan: God's Will Be Done
Stats: 306/189/162 Female 5'7
BF:Morris Chestnut
Progress: 81%

yeah it's always something, but i'm not really concerned about my soy intake there are much worse things i can do to my body like the crap i use to put in it before lc.

i tried whole foods, trader joes, and my local markets and none of them carry it. while whole foods does carry the eden brand they don't stock the eden organic black soy beans only the eden regular non-soy black beans and some of their other beans.

not to worry though, i can have them shipped free of charge at less than $1.50 per can via amazon.

i have heard about the chocolate cake but i'm going to leave that one alone. i don't care how good people say it is that just doesn't sit right with me. there are just too many ways to make a great lc chocolate cake without having to resort to beans.

so anyway, can't wait to try these in a chili recipe and as re-fried beans with a variety of mexican dishes.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-12, 19:03

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007
yeah it's always something, but i'm not really concerned about my soy intake there are much worse things i can do to my body like the crap i use to put in it before lc.

I agree. I researched soy and couldn't find anything from a reputable source that said it was dangerous. That, and lactose intolerance runs in my family - a few people in 2 generations have been raised on soy formula without any problems whatsoever. The oldest is 55 now.

And you don't see people in Japan dropping dead or whatever....I sound so intelligent lol
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-12, 01:08
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonwtwindo
I agree. I researched soy and couldn't find anything from a reputable source that said it was dangerous. That, and lactose intolerance runs in my family - a few people in 2 generations have been raised on soy formula without any problems whatsoever. The oldest is 55 now.

And you don't see people in Japan dropping dead or whatever....I sound so intelligent lol

This is a wonderful book regarding soy and its impact on health.
Each chapter has dozens of references.
See if you can get it from your library if you don't want to purchase it.

With that said...I keep a few cans of the black soy beans in my pantry and use them in chili. I have made the cake from beans and it was good and as mentioned even better the next day. (I think I posted my "bean" cake experiences under a thread in the recipe section with a title like "Farting Cupcakes" or some such title )
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-12, 01:10
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Here's the thread on the farting cupcakes...they really didn't make you fart, it was just a wandering thought when I was making them

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=402161