Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-05, 04:40
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: -/-/- Female 5ft 2in
BF:
Progress:

There's no treatment for it as such apparantly, in some people they can have it all their life and not get affected by it mine has gone on to be something called ehlers danlos syndrom and it's pretty much progressive, it causes severe joint problems, dislocation, curviture of the spine, which i already have, tendons muscle problems etc, my future looks like a wheelchair or joint replacements!!! guess i got to eighty years old and was just too busy to notice!!
But the good news is..!! with a change in diet and errrrr exercise.. !!! i can prolong the life of my joints!!
But at least i know what's doing this and what's to come, i didn't just get hit by a bus and woke up to be told i couldn't walk, i still have time to pack in all the things i wanna do... at least that's the way i look at it.
I've been dairy free now for a month or so, i've been gluten free, thanks to you sunshine, for a week, i've been stacking up on veggie's and fruit for the magnesium, copper and zinc, lots of potato's and sweet potato's ( sorry low carbers) for the copper in their skins and i feel so much better!!
The candida is still there, i wake up with a coated tongue in the morning but for the moment, ( while still popping acidophillus) i can live with that.
At least the brain fog has gone, the floaters have gone and my muscles are getting stronger. i actually walked up the shops this morning!!! A five minute conquest!!!
So for the forseeable future sunshine, no mac's for me, but hey if i make some gf rolls and then ground some beef into a patty, throw a bit of lettuce at it and add some egg free gf mayo with a bit of tomatoe puree, who knows, it might taste similar, eventually!!!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-05, 08:50

Plan: none
Stats: 105/105/120 Female 5ft2inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

You've got a great attitude about everything Bloodstone. I'm impressed with that and your determination...look how fast you learned the gf diet!! You probably know more than me. I hope the diet changes bring you lots of relief from the pain....sounds like it already is. Definately keep up with the excercise
so you can keep those muscles strong. I came accross something about Ehlers Danlos just the other day on a website...I was trying to find out what it was but there was no info about the symptoms or anything. I couldn't find anything so I moved on...I'm always reading stuff. I know you'll have lots of time to pack in all the fun things you wanna do...and also while your making those yummy sounding hamburgers I'll probably still be eating the bunless kind since I'm not too good in the kitchen yet. I did find some gf buns in the store though.
If you're not around on this site anymore Good Luck to you and take care of yourself!
-Rachel
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Sep-07-05, 10:19
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Watch those buns girl!!! I bought some, they had yeast, i bought others, they had egg, some had modified corn startch which is gluten!!! other had malt vinegar, yeast... a lot have soy in them somewhere...
The only good way to go with bread is make it yourself, sorry about that...
Here's one for you 4 cups gf all purpose flour, 1 tablespoon sugar ( or sweetener), 1/2 tablespoon baking powder gf, 1/2 tablespoon baking soda, 1 1/2 cups water, 2 tablespoons of vinegar white. Put all dry stuff togther, mix vinegar and water add to dry ingredients, turn dough out onto board, kneed for a minute or two, make it into a flattened ball, put on a flat pizza pan and bake in oven for 40 minutes at 400 fh. It's kinda like bread, but it's filling and easy!! Give it a go... if you like it you can make it with sultana's or dates, or fig or anything you wanna shove in it!!!
Thought i'd tell you my original wheat allergy test came back negative, so anyone who thinks they have allergies to something but the test say no, best to go with how your body feels and don't eat it.
My attitude is just normal i think, i could have ben run over by a bus years ago, i'm still here i still draw breath, i still have time to have whatever kind of life, i'm grateful for my two kids, i can't sit around and wait for the future to get me i have to live for them now...
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Sep-07-05, 10:32

BF:

Hey Bloodstone,
I'm not eating any bread for now. I got tired of questioning whether I'm having trouble with eggs or yeast so I just decided to get tested. I just took the test yesterday so I'll know for sure within 2 weeks. The gluten intolerance would've never shown up on an allergy test for me since its an autoimmune thing rather than an allergy. All of my allergy tests have come back normal. I'm using the same lab that dx'd gluten intolerance for the egg and yeast tests. They tested me for dairy w/ the gluten test and said I was ok with dairy. I'm still not eating tons of it...pretty much just plain yogurt for the live bacteria. I don't doubt that I had gotten some candida because of all the damage from the gluten. I'm not gonna be on that strict candida diet though..I dont think its necessary now that I know the underlying cause. I'm just going to try to eat healthy...lots of protein, veggies and fruit...not too much processed stuff. I'll continue to take my nystatin and maybe rotate some of the other antifungals but its no longer the focus of my life. Even though I feel good I still fail the stupid spit test. Ever try it? I've had 2 healthy people I know do the test and they failed too so it makes me wonder.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Sep-07-05, 12:29
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

My friend did it to his dog, he ran him round for half a hour until he was drooling then dropped his spit into a cup and yep, he has candida!!!
Needless to say we have him on acidophillis!!! not!
I think it's true what the doctors say, you can only get systemic candida if your immune system is buggered, trouble is most of us in this world don't eat healthy enough, so in that respect we may all get a little overgrowth, just depends where and how much. So i believe it's there in us, it's not just our real 'problem'.
I've got to have a barrium soon to find out what damage has been done to my gi tract, i'm a smoker, two packs a day, so their gonna look for the big C as well, i just wish that when people go to their doctors with problems the meds wouldn't be so quick to dismiss them as needing therepy!
But whatever i have i'm not going to let any desease run my life. Yes i have a gluten allergy, so obviously i'm not going to eat gluten but as for the candida, bring on the carbs and the sugar baby!!!
I figure if i eat enough coconut pineapple and pop my acidoph tabs what's it gonna do.
But i have promised my teenage son if i don't have C i'll give up smoking!!!
How's that for stupid!!
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Sep-08-05, 11:52

BF:

LOL...I cracked up about the dog having candida. Is he now on the diet?

I quit smoking after 14 years..I just went cold turkey cuz I was thinking of having kids and wanting to be really healthy and all that stuff. I was healthy the whole time I smoked.. it was the same time that I quit when all my health problems started. What is up with that?? I think it was because smoking helped me deal with stress. Right after I quit I had alot of stress in my life but w/out smoking I probably had no way of releasing the tension. The stress probably "triggered" the autoimmune diseases. I also have Graves disease but thats been treated.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Sep-08-05, 14:07
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

No the dog passed on never eating pizza again!!
I quit smoking for two years about 10 years ago, cold turkey, just like that, even had my ex blowing smoke at me to try and make me smoke, didn't bother me, i think when you get to the point where you can't be bothered with it you can just do it, it's when you still like it there's issues with quitting, or if your giving up for a reason that's not yours, so i'll probably have some problems, coz i still like it after meals and stuff.
Funny though, coz when i gave up before i had health issues to. My mother gave up a couple of years back and she's had health problem after health problem, including ibs.
They say you'll be healthier, but i don't think it works that way, and we all know cancer doesn't care if you smoke or not, if that little gene wants to turn himself on he will.
When my doctor moans at me to give up smoking i always tell him if he gives up sex i'll give up smoking, he doesn't mention it so much now!!!!
I made some gf rolls today and forgot to ajust the time, we had a tray of little rocks, so my kids decided to set up a tin can alley in the back garden and used them to knock down the cans!!!
Monty python come's to mind.... always look on the bright side of life........
At least they were useful, if not edible!
Oh i don't know if you get schwarts spices out there but the company emailed me a list and not one spice contains gluten for clumping, but they did say they can't guarantee contamination..
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Sep-09-05, 12:12

Plan: Anti-yeast
Stats: 138/128/125 Female 5"7
BF:
Progress: 77%

Hi
i have a question about gluten intolerance. I had an allergy test done, after not having eaten gluten for about 6 monthes already (since i'd been following the yeast free diet strictly).
The test results showed that i was quite decidedly allergic to gluten/wheat. Isn't that a conclusive result that I have gluten intolerance? or are gluten intolerance and gluten allergy not the same thing....
i'm confused..... the implications would be the same anyway though right? I can't eat gluten/wheat........
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Sep-09-05, 14:27

BF:

Hi Lostgirl,
No..allergy and gluten intolerance aren't the same thing.
Yes...if you have an allergy to wheat that means you can't eat it. If you have gluten intolerance or Celiac Disease it means if you eat gluten it will damage your intestines...its an autoimmune response...meaning the immune system is "confused" and is mistakenly attacking gluten as if it were an enemy...in the process its causing harm to the body. This would lead to complications such as osteoporosis, anemia, malabsorption, more autoimmune disease, cancer...etc.
An allergy means when the "allergen" enters the body the immune system releases histamine which will give you symptoms such as swelling, itching, sneezing..etc.

-RACHEL
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Sep-09-05, 14:34

BF:

Also...to answer your last question..."Are the implications the same?"
No...if you are allergic to wheat then you can't eat wheat.
If you have gluten intolerance then you can't eat 90% of the stuff in the grocery store as gluten is in everything from ice-cream to condiments to rice milks to vitamins to frozen foods to soups to lotions...well you get the picture.
You can't even lick a stamp or envelope if you have gluten intolerance.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Nov-13-05, 11:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/208.5/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 56%

have you tried cascara sagrada. I had the same problems and started taking it 2 in the morning 2 in the evening . This herb strenghtens you peristalsis muscles.(the muscles that make you go) I also took a tablespoon of ground flaxseed in the morning and the evening to produce bulk. Once a week I would do a coffee enema. Bowel health is very important to the rest of your body. Have you seen a herbalist they can be expensive but sometimes your regular doctor is not schooled in natural healing. Adding tons of medicine can sometimes make your problems worse. Find one in your area.
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Jan-10-06, 21:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/200/180 Male 72
BF:
Progress:
Default Assistance with possible Celiac desease for my daughter

Hello,

Would you please refer me to a Lab that specialized in Gluten Intolerance. My daughter is showing symptons similar to ADD - irritability, mood changes, lack of motivation. She started recently on the Feingold program (www.feingold.org) excluding all artificial inclusions in the food. We are now questioning if this is the whole story and possibly would like her to be testeed for Celiac desease. As you we have not found a doctor who can have a comprehensive look at her health so we need to take the initiative. Your help is very much appreciated!

Thats why I paid with my own money to get tests done at a lab that specializes in Gluten Intolerance. Funny how THOSE tests came back positive for *everything* including severe malabsorption. Now I've already gained 10 lbs. back. The doctors at my HMO suck and apparantly so do the labs they use.[/QUOTE]
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-06, 10:40
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I went to www.enterolab.com and got the complete profile done which also checks on casein intolerance. Expensive but worth it!

BTW: Just read up on Ehlers Danlos Syndrome... wow... I fit a lot of those symptoms. I think I'll mention it to my doctor.
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-06, 13:20
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

another illness you guys might want to check up on is M.E also known as CFS.
Doctor's hate this one too, they used to class it as all in the mind but know the world health org and cdc have finally classed it an neurological.
It mimics a great number of other deseases including cancer, ms, altzheimers, aids, etc, the list of symptoms is endless and unexplainable;
fatigue, allergies, ibs, headaches, joint pain, muscle pain, anxiety, immune system problems, etc etc etc.
It can start for no reason or with a virus, something to do with microplasm's.
Warning, doctor's don't like it, insurance company's hate it.
they estimate 4 in 1000 people have it and aren't diagnosed with it.
Just tap in what is m.e, cfs into your search engine and sit back for the ride.
It's not pretty reading, but it's certainly an eye opener. Best advice don't read the stuff the health education people are dishing out and go for real accounts or forums, we all know how reliable doctors are.
The scarey thing is children as young and six and seven have it.
Good luck.