Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-08-05, 05:15
Registered Member

Plan: zig zag cals/carbs
Stats: 145/139/125 Female 64 inches
BF:25%/24%/14%
Progress: 30%
Default CKD Diet

I have a few questions. I am starting the CKD diet, and I was wondering if anyone has done it or is doing it?

Were you successful? I only want to carb up for 24 hrs. Is it better to stay all natural or eat the skittles?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Carla
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-08-05, 10:42

Plan: CKD
Stats: 235/235/210 Male 73
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hello Carla,

How are you girl? Yes, CKD works very well. I have used it on and off for 5 years now. Planning to start back up this weekend! I would just be sure you have a good understanding of the diets nutrition and exercise requirements. This is one diet that you have to follow ALL the time. Most of the time will not get you far. It takes focus and dedication. But they are well worth it.

I have had great success with this type of diet. I don't know if you have done low carb before, the first week or so is rough. But it gets much easier with time and is very rewarding.

I usually do a 24-36 hour carb up myself. Skittles are fun, but personally I get tired chewing...LOL. I find it much easier to scoop the dextrose right into a drink and slug it down...FAST and EASY!

Well I posted a few threads myself last week. But people don't seem to be talking much here. So I'm glad you're around.

Welcome to the board,

Steve
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-08-05, 11:31
Registered Member

Hi, Steve!

Thanks for the bit of info! I think I have pretty much got it down. I am a very dedicated exerciser. No probs there! I love to work out! It's the dang food part!

I am going to try it somewhat by the way it's supposed to be, but I think I am planning on doing more natural foods. I have researched this diet doing a search on the forums. It seems like everyone just eats what they want during carb up and then gets strict during the week.

I plan on eating like for breakfast natural oats, eggwhites, blueberries, snack protein shake with peanut butter, and banana, lunch ham sandwich on whole wheat bread, a serving of animal crackers, maybe some air popped popcorn, then closer to evening I will switch back to being strict. Have a protein shake with a little peanut butter, and for dinner chicken and broccoli.

I have done the low carb before and had good results. I am trying to get my metabolism kicking again. I from working out constantly and not feeding myself and shut my metabolism down! Not Good!

Anyways, thanks for responding! Please let me know how you're doing!

Carla
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-08-05, 12:12

Plan: CKD
Stats: 235/235/210 Male 73
BF:
Progress: 0%

Natural food huh? Sounds fun! Don't be afraid to eat do sugar on your carb up. It's really preferred. Low fat pop tarts are great! Dextrose can be purcahsed at most health food stores and it's very cheap. Also watch your fruit intake as fructose can be stored in your liver and it will take you longer to get back into ketosis.

Your calorie counts are very important so keep an eye on those. I would not recommend going below 10X your weight per day during the week and above all keep your fat intake very high(70-75%). Any less and your metabolism will come to a quick halt. Remember on your carb up to over eat your carbs and keep your fat intake low. You will feel so pumped after your carb up and your muscles will be packed with glycogen. In case you didn't know you will also gain water weight during your carb up, so don't freak out if you weigh and see an increase. You quickly lose it during the week.

I cannot stress how important it is to eat enough on this diet, especially if you are very active. You will fry out physically and mentally without enough calories.

Feel free to shoot me an email if your prefer to keep in contact directly.
Have a great day!
Steve
Trash44~aol.com

http://www.low-carb.org/lylemcd/
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-08-05, 21:05

Plan: UD2
Stats: 195/180/175 Male 68 inches
BF:15%/8%/7.0%
Progress: 75%

I use a vegetarian CKD for precontest dieting. Works just great.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-09-05, 02:30
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

I did CKD for a few weeks, and I liked it! However, I found that a 2 day refeed was too much for me.....I just kept losing and regaining the same few pounds. Since I still have a lot of fat to lose, I can do so with a more moderate diet (TKD), and will save CKD until I get to 25%BF or less. And a 12 hour refeed, I think!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-09-05, 13:18
Registered Member

Wow! InnerMusic, you look fantastic! I see it works for men, but do you think it would the same for ladies?

Dane~
How long were you on the diet? I guess I may just be doing my own version because like I said in the above post, I am mainly going to eat low fat natural food. I am only going to give myself 1 treat that's a little naughty. This week I really want animal crackers, but next it might be a Hershey's bar. I am only going to carb up my first 3 meals of my off day. What do you think? I am going to keep my carbs between 20-30 for the rest of the week. I planned my Saturday out in the above post.

Thanks for the info!
Carla
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-09-05, 13:26

Plan: UD2
Stats: 195/180/175 Male 68 inches
BF:15%/8%/7.0%
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by carla k
Wow! InnerMusic, you look fantastic! I see it works for men, but do you think it would the same for ladies?

Judging by your Before Photo, I'd say you're a perfect candidate, as you obviously have been doing some weight training.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-09-05, 14:53
Registered Member

YAY! I am very excited. I love to work out! I just need to get my metabolism kicking!

Carla
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-10-05, 02:28
muscle bound

Quote:
How long were you on the diet? I guess I may just be doing my own version because like I said in the above post, I am mainly going to eat low fat natural food. I am only going to give myself 1 treat that's a little naughty. This week I really want animal crackers, but next it might be a Hershey's bar. I am only going to carb up my first 3 meals of my off day. What do you think? I am going to keep my carbs between 20-30 for the rest of the week. I planned my Saturday out in the above post.

Let's see......I did 7 weeks of it. I did lose some fat, maybe about 2.5lbs? But as I mentioned above, I had some issues with the carbup (too long, too much sugar, probably), and I am still breastfeeding my son, so my hormones were a problem.

The point of a CKD carbup is to replenish glycogen, so you do need to be sure to get enough carb in you.......the problem with too much high fiber or "good" carbs is they fill you up and make you feel bloated before you are able to eat enough....it might not for you, though. You just have to test it out,

Also, I'd do my last few meals a carb up, rather than the first few, just because the insulin rush will probably up your appetite, and then you'll feel hungry the rest of the day! But again, you just have to play with it.

A GREAT website for CKD info and support is www dot c hyphen k hyphen d dot com. There is a women's forum where they can help you fine tune, and give advice.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-10-05, 02:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 184.8/164.1/149.6 Female 165 cm  5' 4"
BF:>30%/19%/12%
Progress: 59%

I tried the website, but got a physiotherapist in Germany! I'm interested in finding out about this CKD, who can fill me in - or give me a web site that works for me?
I train a lot and am preparing to get back into bodyshaping competitively next year, so any diet that works well for that sort of body fat reduction would be good to know!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-10-05, 02:53
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usul001
I'm interested in finding out about this CKD, who can fill me in - or give me a web site that works for me?

Have you looked through the CKD 101 sticky thread at the top of this forum? I'm not sure if there are any links there, but I knew Trainerdan has a fair bit of info there.

Cheers, matey.

Rosebud
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-10-05, 03:05

Stats: 184.8/164.1/149.6 Female 165 cm  5' 4"
BF:>30%/19%/12%
Progress: 59%

Thanks Rose, I actually saw the web site link on Trash44's post - it's full of info.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Aug-10-05, 03:14
muscle bound

Hmmm........I can't insert the link here, cuz it substitutes in ~~~ for the relevant info! But I just entered it into my browser as I've written in above, and it works just fine. However, I'll PM you withthe link, and anyone else who wants it, just PM me.

ETA........nope! Can't PM it, either. Well, if anyone who wants it PM's me with an e-mail address, I can send it there.

But try it again on your browser....... www dot c dash k dash d dot com

Type the dot as a . and the dash as a - and the letters are all lower case. No spaces between!

HTH!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-05, 05:56
Registered Member

Thanks for the website! Very informative. I did my carb up yesterday. I don't think I did it entirely correct, but it was my first one. I see what you mean about only using whole foods. I would bloat up like a balloon! So I will do like half and half. I can't wait for next carb up. I already have it all planned out! Can't wait for low fat pop tarts!

I have a question. I was wondering if I could do my carb up like this, if Friday is my depletion and Saturday is off day can I load on Saturday. Finish out Friday low carbs, and then Saturday morning carb up all day. Then Sunday back to low carbs? Would this work?

Last edited by carla k : Thu, Aug-11-05 at 06:12.