Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-09-16, 11:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194.4/194.4/186 Male 6
BF:
Progress:
Default New but old ....redo

Hi..
ill try to keep this story short....I was on Atkins years ago. Did great. Now I need to lose 10. Been trying for 2 weeks with no discipline. Get into K for a day. Then lose it...
I don't cook, I eat out a lot, and don't exercise.
BUT I sleepwalk and or have night eating syndrome. For 25 years and a gazillion test they can't figure out what I do but at 12 o'clock like a zombie I go to the kitchen and eat something sweet. .. Preparing don't seem to work because I'm looking for that high carb thing...
So
I am 66, 6 ft and 197. Male....
What the best way to move forward on induction.
Ps.. It's the night eating syndrome that kills me.... Which causes the added weight. Which is 10-12 pounds....daytime, nighttime, going out to eat on Atkins is a piece of cake..... Bad pun.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-21-16, 11:15

Stats: 171/167.7/130 Female 4'11"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Have you tried setting an alarm clock to wake you around the time you believe you are sleep walking? To help break the cycle.

You could try ridding your home of all destructive carbs and replace with "snacks" that are acceptable during the induction.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-21-16, 11:37

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

That's tough... it's hard enough being in control when your conscious.

And yeah, maybe keeping some acceptable snacks around--even some artificially sweetened snacks close to the sort of things you tend towards when sleep eating.

There's always the hope that if you do manage to eat ketogenically/low carb even with unconscious eating, this will sort of shake things up, eating ketogenically can cause sort of a circadian phase shift, I don't know that this would help, but it sort of makes sense that it might shake things up a little if your eating is normally always around the same time.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-22-16, 06:20

BF:
Progress:

Interesting... What would you choose as snacks....
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-22-16, 07:28

Stats: 171/167.7/130 Female 4'11"
BF:
Progress: 8%

If you are going by the Atkins plan, here is a link to the acceptable foods list.
https://www.atkins.com/how-it-works.../low-carb-foods

You could make ahead things like sugar free jello and pepperoni chips. Pork skins are 0 carb and give the satisfaction of crunch.

Hope this helps!!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-22-16, 11:35

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Maybe you've already thought of this, but you ought to remove every unhealthy food item from the house and replace all with acceptable snacks in the form of low carb, grain-free, sugar- or sweetener-free items. Make sure that if you do wander off to the food source, that source of food is something you'd eat on induction. Good luck.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-22-16, 11:50

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wostro4444
Hi..
ill try to keep this story short....I was on Atkins years ago. Did great. Now I need to lose 10. Been trying for 2 weeks with no discipline. Get into K for a day. Then lose it...
I don't cook, I eat out a lot, and don't exercise.
BUT I sleepwalk and or have night eating syndrome. For 25 years and a gazillion test they can't figure out what I do but at 12 o'clock like a zombie I go to the kitchen and eat something sweet. .. Preparing don't seem to work because I'm looking for that high carb thing...
So
I am 66, 6 ft and 197. Male....
What the best way to move forward on induction.
Ps.. It's the night eating syndrome that kills me.... Which causes the added weight. Which is 10-12 pounds....daytime, nighttime, going out to eat on Atkins is a piece of cake..... Bad pun.

Thanks

We have some friends who have been interested in our WOE.
The other day she confessed to me that she has woken in the middle of the night with a horrible craving for sugar. Because there was nothing else in the house, she ate an entire bag of marshmallows and she is not overweight, just sugar driven.

My thought is to get ALL of the sugar out of the house and maybe have a bedtime snack of on plan food to keep BG on an even keel throughout the night.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-24-16, 05:37

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for all the replies. I've been midnight inc the last few days. Last night I woke 3 times, 10,12,and 3
At 10 I had two slices of Yogurt cheese,
At 12 I had carb cravings, had some almonds, and a couple of handfuls of trail mix, with raisins and MMs. Killed the ketosis.
At 3 I had some nuts...
The day was Atkins perfect. But it's the midnight snacking.
Removing the food is not practical because we travel a lot and I'll go out in the nighttime and find a store. Then the binges will last a few days to a week till I get them under control...
The problem with prepared foods is I'm not in the mood for them. I'll look at them and not be interested. It's carb sweet sugary based that I need.
I've been to Drs, they have given me supplement, sleeping pills, therapy, and anything else you can think of. Nothing works. The joke is when I ate Atkins bars for snacks I lost weight but the sugar alcohol did havoc with my stomach. I lost all the weight with the bars as a supplement but the pain was excruciating...

I'll keep going though.....
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-24-16, 06:06

BF:

So maybe some sort of protein bar that's low in sugar alcohols would work better? I get and support the no artificial sweeteners approach, for those who find that easier. But at the same time, if these are your options, I'd take a bit of splenda or stevia over a bunch of sugar, any day.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-24-16, 10:08

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wostro4444
Removing the food is not practical because we travel a lot and I'll go out in the nighttime and find a store.

Sounds like you're awake then. If you're driving while asleep, you need to give somebody your keys.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, May-24-16, 17:03

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Wostro: what do you think might work? You are rejecting, one by one, the ideas that are being offered.

If you are awake enough to be conscious of what you are eating in your pantry raids, it would seem to me that you are awake enough to tell your inner carb addict to shut up and go back to sleep, once you've fed it something low carb.

You cannot change the fact that you have a serious addiction to junk food. What you CAN change is the way that you talk to yourself about it. You DO NOT "need" carby crap in the middle of the night. You WANT it.

And, you know what? We, frequently, cannot have what we want, because it will harm us. My carb addicted alter ego doesn't wake too often, anymore, because I've been pretty successful in shutting her up.

But when she does, it's my healthy eating side's job to prevent her from taking over. So...what can you do to prevent your carb addicted side from taking over?

The ball's in your court, literally.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-25-16, 04:58

BF:
Progress:

Awake, sometimes yes and sometimes no.... Last night I remember the cheese, the second time I took the advice and got an Atkins bar, that I vaguely remember and only because my wife came out of the bathroom and talked to me and kind of startled me, the third eating nuts I don't remember at all. The only way I knew was when I checked the security system this morning...so it's a bit of semi awake and pure sleepwalk. Have an appointment with a sleep dr in two weeks...
I believe it's either hormonal, habit or allergies.
I travel quite a bit and one dr said it may be my internal clock, as we live in NY, (Long Island and Westchester, in England and India. We spend the winter in India, and then bounce all over from England and New York. India is 10 1/2hours ahead... Interestingly I notice I do the same habits there as here. To me that eliminate the clock. Only because it's 10 1/2 hours difference. Also in England, wake up same times and that's five hour difference.

But I do appreciate the feed back and have been preparing food but I look at it and really don't want it...
Maybe the approach is to slap myself silly when I open the fridge and send myself to the corner. Haven't tried that one yet

Thanks all...
  #13   ^
Old Wed, May-25-16, 05:43

BF:

Makes sense for it to happen whether you're asleep or awake, the drive to this behaviour would be there in either condition.

I wouldn't say that eliminates the clock, the internal clock shifts to match local daylight.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, May-25-16, 07:56

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

So...maybe...when I was going through a divorce, nearly 30 years ago, my two youngest sons were having nightmares. Kirby Puckett was the hero of the Minnesota Twins at the time, and there was a poster with his picture in the boys' bedroom.

I told them to think about how strong he was, and to know that he could help them in their dreams. It worked.

It worked for my nightmares, to tell myself, as I was falling asleep, that I could conquer the things that were frightening me, too.

What if you try meditation, and during the meditation, you think about the beauty and deliciousness of a LCHF WOE. Think about the luxuriousness of well prepared LC foods, and how good your body feels when you eat them.

It really seems to me, in my role as armchair psychologist that, if you are eating crap when you are semi or not at all conscious, that what needs work is the way you talk to yourself about food. What works for me is that I finally internalized just how toxic nasty carb crap is.

I don't know what, specifically, will work for you. But something will, and since it's not the usual stuff, it probably needs to be something more internal, you know?
  #15   ^
Old Wed, May-25-16, 18:52

BF:
Progress:

Mickie sue and teaser.... Both really opposites but excellent advice....both...
Nightmares. Don't get them. Vietnam 2x, wife died, raised two kids, own a business, seriously dyslexic, 60% deaf! had four eye operations with glass behind my eyes and Algeric to shellfish which started the whole change of diet thing and with it came getting up at night.....internalize stress ... Absolutely.... But other then that ...normal...

Just realized when I wrote that it pretty much started with the change of diet to red meat and either or really being stressed about building a business. How does streets cause sleepwalking? And change of diet?