Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-08, 17:11

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%
Default Hello, for the third time

Hello everyone,

This is my third attempt at a low-carb plan. The first, in 2003, was wildly successful (60 lbs in 90 days), but short-lived. The second, in 2006, fizzled immediately. This time, hay fever is forcing me back. Unless I keep to the straight and narrow nutritionally, I go into allergic hell. Plus, I'm right on the verge of being unable to donate blood due to my blood pressure. Since I can donate to babies, this is a very important civic duty to me.

I don't know if I'll be ultimately be able to maintain anything more than a cycling diet (3 days low-carb, 1 day moderate carb), due to my anxiety. The LC diet exposes my defective brain chemistry — messed up neurotransmitter regulation — and no meds, natural remedies, or exercise plan have helped rein in that anxiety. Not to mention that a LC WOE makes restaurant eating dreary, unless I want to spend a lot for a fancy, high-quality dinner.

I don't have any words of wisdom for the true newbies that other people with better track records than I haven't already said at some point in these forums (unless you want to hear me expound on the miracle of coconut oil).

Take care,
jake3_14
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-08, 19:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/137/135 Female 5'4”
BF:
Progress: 93%

Not to sound like a downer, but you already sound like you have one foot out the door on this 3rd attempt. You must determine you will stick with it for it to work for you. This is a wonderful place to learn what you need to make it actually work this time. Don't give up so soon.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-08, 22:29

Not to sound disrespectful, Luzyanna/Leslie, but until you've walked at least half a mile in my shoes, don't presume that determination can overcome biology. I've struggled with various biologically-based mental and emotional disorders all my life, and I'm pretty successful in spite of them. But when you run the gamut of doctors, with their PET and MRI scans, drugs that make you want climb out of skin, drugs that require other drugs to cope with the side effects, naturopaths with their amino acid therapies, and herbalists with tinctures that leave you loopy, you come to accept that some things just cannot not be fixed.

I hope that you do not have such challenges in your makeup; I wouldn't wish them on anyone, even to build character. But believe me when I say I am a very determined person, and that perseverance takes you only so far when your body resists your best efforts.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-08, 15:29

Stats: 162/137/135 Female 5'4”
BF:
Progress: 93%

Many people here have health issues that restrict their diets severely not to mention at least 99% of the people here are here because of health reasons - overweight, diabetes, heart problems, etc. I'm sorry that you have had to experience such setbacks in your life but there are many people here who face turmoil on a daily basis both emotionally and physically.

I have no doubt that you CAN do anything you want - I just hope you want to....huge hugs to you hon. Can't wait to see your progress.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-08, 01:10

Plan: low carb
Stats: -/-/- Female 5´7"
BF:
Progress: 39%

aj cohn, I am very curious - what turned you off "naturopaths with their amino acid therapies"? Because this is what I am trying out now (after having failed on Atkins several times). I am trying it out, of course, in combination with changing my diet. Not just low carbohydrate, but other restrictions, such as eating everything natural, no sweeteners of any kind, no pre-packaged foods, MSG, preservatives, nothing from cans, jars, etc. I have been on this diet-therapy for a month and I'm beginning to feel some improvement in my overall health, although nothing dramatic yet.

I would be very grateful to you if you shared in what way aminoacids failed you. Thanks.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-08, 01:58

Stats: 210/186/160 Female 5'7''
BF:
Progress: 48%

HI Aj Cohn, I am a newbie here too! Sorry to hear about your medical issues. As you say though sounds like you have overcome (or learnt ot live with)most of them. What I have learnt in my 8 year (on and off) low carb journey is everyone is different, there isn't a one size fits all solution so sometime we have to get creative to find the best way for us. I am trying to do this myself at the moment...

I am sort of 'cycling' as well. Although I dont have any specific health conditions (so far!) apart from being overweight, I find that pure low carb is too restrictive for me nowadays so I am doing 5 days low carb (week days) then 2 days (the weekends) with a bit more carb. As well as the problems I mentioned in my other post (heart palpitations and cramps on atkins) I find I need a little bit of low more GI carb for my brain to function properly. Being in a sales job I really notice the difference between how 'sharp' I am when on low carb and when I allow a little bit more carb in every now and then.

I am trying to stay away from anything processed / artificial. I suspect I wil lose weight slower than when I used to do atkins (I too lost a lot in a short time) but that suits me fine.

We can do this!!!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-08, 20:26

Hi Felicie,

Sorry I can't send you a private message, but one needs a minimum number of posts before the system allows you to do that.

In short, the amino acid therapies produced no results, either good or bad, except to lighten my wallet. The ND tried loading me up on precursors to serotonin, and GABA. My brain simply destroys or my body discards these chemicals faster than they can get converted into the neurotransmitters . Only SSRIs, which prevent the destruction of the serotonin, have been effective in putting a floor under my organic depression. Nothing has been effective in reducing my anxiety consistently .
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-08, 20:36

Hi RubyMack,

Not everyone is metabolically suited for a pure low-carb diet. I read Metabolic Typing and The Nutrition Solution before deciding to pursue a low-carb diet.

It sounds like you're taking a sensible approach, and I suggest you ensure that you're getting enough healthy animal fats in your diet to replace the carbs you're removing (gotta fuel the metabolic engine with something, you know). I haven't done that before (I depended on coconut milk and oil), and I want to see if some homemade, organic lard and suet makes a difference in how my body feels this time around.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-08, 02:52

Stats: 210/186/160 Female 5'7''
BF:
Progress: 48%

Thanks AJ Cohn, I might read those book as well , thanks for the tip.

In the meantime, I like to think I am halfway to getting it sorted....

The fats I tend to have are olive oil, butter, cheese, mayo, a bit of cream here and there and the fat that is on the meat/ in the eggs i cook. Lowish carb definitely suits be better than anything else I have tried but I still need a certain level of carbs.

I don't particularly choose ultra fatty cuts (although I love pork belly occasionally!) but I will for example eat the skin on chicken, some of the fat round a steak if it is crispy. I also love duck which can of course be quite fatty. I heard somewhere (could be an old wives tale) that duck fat is better for you than other animal fats because it is more liquid at room temperature. But as I say, how much truth there is in that statement remains to be seen!!!

Haven't cooked much with coconut oil (although I use coconut milk regularly) but may give it a whirl. Like all nut oils I suspect it can be heated to a very high temp which gives good results when cooking - I am a serious foodie, love to cook!! I tend to cook pretty much everything from scratch - very little pre-prepared or processed in my cupboards. And I love vegetables....tend to choose gren leafy types more often obviously but love all kinds of veg...

I also tend to eat local , seasonal, organic if I can afford it (and it hasn't been flown in from the other side of planet!) and free range when it comes to meat.

Generally I fee very good on what I eat - good energy levels and my weight has stabilised but I just need to start shifting some weight again....oh and I eat too fast when stressed so i need to work on SLOWING down, chewing everything and not just inhaling food!!!

Anyway good luck on your journey as well, i agree sometimes it isn't a case one plan fits all, we have to tweak things a bit to try and get the results we want... we can do this!!!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-08, 03:11

Plan: IF
Stats: 350/235/150 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:generous
Progress: 57%

I guess I am lucky. I have found this way of eating to help my depression and anxiety. I don't know if it would be the case if I was carb cycling every three days. For me, Induction flu starts around the second or third day and I start to feel like crap around that point. The first day is hard, well, just because I am still craving the carbs. It's probably a YMMV thing.

I need to be in ketosis have the benefits of this. Well, at least I need to be eating under 30 carbs. I don't know if it is actually related to ketosis or the foods I am eating.

Anyway, good luck with this plan of yours. I believe there are people who carb cycle on this board, and you'd probably find support and advice from them.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-08, 10:55

Plan: LeanGains
Stats: 226/192/180 Female 68 inches
BF:??/??/??
Progress: 74%
Default All things in moderation!

Heya

I have wicked anxiety problems, too. They derail me about once every 2-3 weeks. I've been learning to live this way for about five years now, too. I think of it this way: thirty years of eating (and other) habits cannot be relearned in just one year. That whole "Rome wasn't built in a day" phenomenon.

One of the major criticisms of this "WOE" is that it is difficult to maintain. This is true. To me, it's not a matter of personal failure that causes me to fall off of the wagon. We've been conditioned through various sources that we have a right to please ourselves with food. For myself, I am a big, big fan of Cook's Illustrated. It stinks to already be struggling with so much and just pile yet another thing on to worry about.

If you don't already know how to cook, it helps to learn how. Learning about food chemistry goes a long way towards reinventing recipes so that when the anxiety hits, the 'cheating' is not really cheating.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-08, 13:47

Plan: somersize
Stats: 200/200/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress:

Hi. I'm new here. I tried low carb a couple of years ago, and lost 28 lbs. in less than 3 months. I have been yo-yoing on and off of South Beach and Weight Watchers, but have decided to Somersize again, since I had great results. I have to get this weight off. I am borderline diabetic, and on steroids right now for asthma, which makes me want to do nothing but EAT!!! It's going to be good to have people to talk to that are in the same boat. Ajia
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-08, 14:08

Plan: Somersizing-Level 1
Stats: 223.6/220.4/145.0 Female 63inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Perspective on switching to a low-carb lifestyle...most of us, all our lives we've pretty much eaten anything we've wanted unless you have a serious food allergy. Most of us grew up on fast food, tv dinners and processed convenience foods. We've had sugar, starches and high carbs be part of our everyday. Now, we are shocking our bodies and our minds with this new WOE. Because of how we've eaten throughout our lives, it's easy to fall back into those engrained patterns, we just have to remember, when we faulter, when we cheat or make a mistake with something we eat...we pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and get right back to a low-carb WOE. And the biggest thing to remember, is not to beat ourselves up over slipping up or making a mistake.

I've been reading about so many ailments we all have...anxiety, medical condititions, hormones imbalances, etc....adding on daily life, work, kids, family, being pulled this way and that, we have so much to deal with already, our WOE should be something to be enjoyed not to be a burden. And after a while, or after the struggle, it will be.

"stepping down of my soapbox"
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-08, 21:13

Hi RubyMack,

If you want the skinny on fats (sorry, I couldn't resist), check out the web site of the Weston A. Price Foundation. In the left-hand navigation area, click on the "Know Your Fats" link. If you want more in-depth reading, check out the books by two of the site's primary owners: Nourishing Traditions and Know Your Fats . It completely blew my mind when I read them the first time.

Regarding coconut oil, be sure to get the premium stuff that never reaches retail stores. I get the unrefined, centrifuged variety from Wilderness Family Naturals. It's a lot better tasting, milder, and effective than even the stuff I got at health stores. By effective, I mean stopping my body from reacting to my own sweat with rashes, stopping my eczema, treating warts (really!), softening the elephant skin on my elbows, enabling all my skin to retain water better, and so on.

Make sure to get your CO in glass containers, not unlined plastic jars. Oils and plastic are electrically non-polar, meaning they will leach into each other, unless the container is lined. I checked with Wilderness Family Naturals, and they receive their shipments in plastic barrels with a food-grade lining, so there's no leaching. I don't know why anybody sells oils in unlined plastic containers, but that's a topic for another discussion.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-08, 21:19

Hi Moggsy,

I think much guidance in life, including here in these forums, is a YMMV affair. Everyone's entitled to tweak plans set forth in books to maximize their health and happiness. Your progress numbers imply that you've found that happy path.

Myself, I think I'll try a higher-carb day once every 3-4 weeks. My wife makes a mighty tasty chili with beans, and I'd put her cajun-fried liver and okra against anybody's (the contrast in textures makes this combo work).