Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-24-17, 21:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 305/211/160 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default Struggling with urges

I had great success over the past year going from a high of 305 down to as low as 210. However for some reason as soon as I reached 210 I gained 8 pounds in 4 days eating the same way I lost the 90 pounds. Well once that happened I completely went off track during a 3 week vacation in houston and went from 218 to 232 in 3 weeks. As soon as I got back I went straight back to keto and went from 232 to 218 again in less than a few weeks which was nice. However I kept telling myself well I'm going to be eating like this for life so whats the big deal if I have some fast food or delicious cake and ice cream. Well now I am in the low 230s again and I just don't seem to be able to stop the constant flood of thoughts that all try to convince me to just eat "normal" like everybody else.

The cravings are very bad too. I obviously am not hungry on keto, but finding that emotional replacement food served in my life is hard to do. Sure I have fun with all the other things I do but life seems a little dull without the carbohydrates and I can't help but feel like life is less without them. As they say life is short so might as well live a little bit. I just don't know how to get out of this rut and what seems like depression because of a lack of carbohydrates and the emotional boost that gives. The biggest reason I haven't cheated in awhile is because keto is a habit and because I personally know that my mood swings way too much on a high carb diet. When I'm on keto my mood is very stable with no dips.

I think sometimes though keto when starting again can make you feel emotionally flat, because thats how I feel. This is hard to keep going.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-25-17, 04:09

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Something I've found helpful, besides keto, is eating the same menu every day for a while. Sounds monotonous, but I choose a menu that I enjoy. Besides not making daily decisions about food, preventing me from making bad decisions, I also don't have to plan ahead what I'm going to be eating later that day, so maybe I'm not thinking about food as much.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-25-17, 05:39

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I usually plan my meals one day in advance. That way, when I wake up in the morning, I already know the foods I'm eating, and whatever I'm having for protein has been defrosted in the refrigerator. At this point, I simply plan for tomorrow. It's very easy this way, and it's a simple method to use for staying on plan consistently. I made up my mind a long time ago to make this WOE a WOL, as I can become addicted to certain carbs very quickly, and my rational side takes a holiday when it comes to tempering this behavior.

When I shop, I'll buy protein and veggies that make up a number of meals, and then employ the day-in-advance strategy to keep things somewhat spontaneous. Find a method that works for you, and it keeps things simple while becoming easier to stay on plan. Good luck.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-25-17, 05:51

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImAllLike
...I just don't know how to get out of this rut and what seems like depression because of a lack of carbohydrates and the emotional boost that gives.

Interesting observation, if you buy into the addictive nature of sugar, this sounds like the talk of an addict. The very thing that makes you feel good has the effect of lowering your mood in the absence of the substance and it appears the only way to get that feeling back is more of the substance. One can even "know" that this is happening but feels helpless, even after many absolute resolutions to end the relationship with the substance that is causing harm. It's "baffling" as one branch of recovery states in it's dogma.

I really wish I could give you advice but can't. I can only say that for me, so far, has been abstinence from the harmful substances (includes for me substances other than carbohydrate). Then you have a chance to "feel" normal, which at times, is pertty boring

Boring, calm, peace and quite are what can be craved

I wish you well!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-25-17, 07:45

Plan: atkins 20
Stats: 127.6/111/110 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Wow, I agree with what Thud said, gosh I wish I could give you advise. I'm sooo sorry you are having cravings, this WOE has huge benefits, for me the best part was absolutely no cravings...

As for emotional replacement...hmmm, emotionally I would like you to feel good about what you are doing, the great choices you are making, the obvious health benefits, the physical changes in your body. Yup, it will likely be a forever way of eating, so try different things to make it successful for you.

I wish you best of luck, celebrate small victories, and remember, one day at a time.

And as Thud said, boring, calm peace and quiet can be craved, it works for me...lol, ttyl
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-26-17, 22:35

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.8/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

If I get cravings, that's an immediate warning that my carb levels are just too high. Once I get fat adapted, all cravings really do disappear and I'm never focused on any particular one thing to eat. Cravings will be killed off by going lower carb than whatever you are doing when you get the cravings. If I get to 10g or less carbs per day, that always does the trick for me and even my former temptations don't appeal to me at all. If I crave anything, it might be bacon.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-27-17, 06:05

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Another thing--I don't necessarily think "comfort food" is a problem. If I feel a little better after eating a Hershey's bar, or some potato chips--I'm liable to keep binging, and the thing turns on itself. I'll enjoy some buttered pork rinds or a nice, warm soup made with heavy cream, or low carb ice cream made with just heavy cream, an egg yolk and flavouring just as much, but it won't trigger those binges.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-27-17, 06:58

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 215/197.2/195 Male 73.5
BF:
Progress: 89%

You have the strength within you...of that I am extremely confident.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-27-17, 20:06
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Carbs calling you goes away in time, and they don't taste as good as they used to when you do eat them.

Shopping is easier for me; both my dogs are on a mostly meat diet of chicken, liver, eggs and fish. I could eat cold chicken for almost every meal with a few sides. Also like nuts, but cut back on the cheese -- it's addictive and may cause sinus issues.

Last edited by mike_d : Wed, Sep-27-17 at 20:15.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Sep-29-17, 15:30

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

A lady on LC once told me how she cured her cravings on a day that wasn't going well.

She cooked a whole pan of skin on, bone in chicken thighs. Then she said she ate the crispy skin off of every single one of them and it cured her cravings!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Sep-29-17, 16:58

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
Interesting observation, if you buy into the addictive nature of sugar, this sounds like the talk of an addict.

ImAllLike - if the quote from Thud rings any bells for you, check out OA or some other 12-step program. I'm a recovering binger & without OA I wouldn't have been able to stay low carb. Low carb takes care of the physical side of the problem, OA takes care of the emotional/spiritual side.

Wishing you the best.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Sep-30-17, 12:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/170/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

ImAllLike, Just to say I have been there in my own way.
Eating a few carbs makes me crave more. then nothing else satisfies, it is just white-knuckling my way through the day. Which then gets sad and depressing...which sometimes leads to a few extra carbs (just like Teaser and Carole said) which then leads to more and more...

All I can say is this: if I stock up on my favourite high Fat, Low Carb snacks (bacon, macadamia nuts, pork steak with lots of fat, grass-fed butter, eggs with no-sugar mayonnaise) and stick to eating that AS MUCH AS I WANT for three days, the cravings go away. And then i can have more control and can decide what to eat. And then the advice above (plan ahead, simple and similar meals every day, occasional fancy recipes for more flavour and fun) all is possible to implement.

Finally, I am also an emotional eater. But over the last 9 months this has become less for me, and (impossible as it was to do on a high carb diet) I have been able to find some other physical comforts that help at that time (as well as low-carb choices). Lately I have notcied that I am a bit edgey and irritated instead of hungry. For example, I want to eat and it is time to eat but i am not hungry and so i am annoyed that the "pleasure of eating" isn;t something I can do for myself. This is especially annoying at work. I am also amused at myself for this because it is really showing me that I am changing - not hungry, just want the "hobby" of eating?! Working through the day isn;t a good option in terms of mental health. So i am learning to go for a walk, take a personal phone call, make a coffee and read my book for 15 minutes. Or i read these forums. I still need the break from work but it needn't be the food.

Finally, can i suggest you start a journal? It is a great way to explore exactly these issues you face, and the changes you can see and make in your self and your thinking, as well as give support to others on the path, and get some yourself.

You can do this, in stages and with ups and down (in weight but also in your emotions and attitude). Come visit my journal and say hello if any of this resonates with you.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Sep-30-17, 21:11

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 210/178.2/160 Female 65 inches
BF:

I agree with cutting back on the carbs. Eating higher carbs feeds the carb addiction. I also don't believe my mind anymore about carbs... It's the same addiction that allowed me to put on more than 60 pounds and brought me to the door of diabetes. Dieting is easy. Taking it day by day and eating this WOE in a carb addicted world is hard but doable. Just take it day by day. And think twice the next time your mind tells you those are comfort foods.

You can do it!!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Oct-06-17, 20:28

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.8/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9

Another thing I found out about myself after years of experimenting with myself, is that MY low carb level needs to be extremely low because I am very carb sensitive. I started with a goal of 20g max. Too high, generally, I still had too many intrusive junk food thoughts. I dropped it to 15g, then to 10g. For me the sweet spot is 5g to 12 or 15g max on occasion. On a regular basis, I shoot for 10g. Now let me tell you, I was the world's biggest emotional eater. I could sugar binge like nobody's business. I spent years trying to moderate my sweet tooth. BUT....6 weeks ago I set about losing my last 20 pounds and I immediately went cold turkey with every one of my problem foods, and stayed at 5g to 10g for awhile, and my cravings, my thoughts of all those foods that used to tempt me....they all just totally disappeared within a week or so and haven't come back....as long as I stay at these low carb levels. While I still want to lose, I'm keeping everything same-same because it's working for me on so many levels.

All this said, each person's carb level is going to be different. My husband can eat a lot more carbs than me and still lose weight without cravings. We're all different. All I can say is if any cravings exist, lower the carbs. Go down 5g at a time and see where you end up. Those cravings really truly do disappear at some point, and that's where it gets so much easier, and a new normal.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Nov-13-17, 12:11

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I hear you.

Find recipes that are satisfying. Including desserts. Eating is a way of life. Changing the items( new recipes) and the dependence on food takes time.

Pork rinds fill the need for crunchy chips.

Sugar freee jello topped with homemade whipped cream.

Hot and spicy more satisfying , to me, than bland.

Increase your activity level to earn more carbs. THnk, walk further from car to grocery or other store. Add a walk 3x a week. Or try an at home aerobics class to an inspiring video. My boys like Billy Blanks over Richard Simmons.

Find LC recipes you enjoy.

For me spagetti squash is NOT a sub for pasta. Over time I gave up pasta as I found other recipes to replace the pasta and rice based recipes