Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Nov-28-06, 19:50

Plan: Paleo Diet
Stats: 160/149/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idrial
I love fruit so this really stinks! I am finding that seafood and vegetables make me really good. Sugar in any form is very hard on me.

I agree 100%, it stinks. However, I'm very happy to know, and to have the chance to control RA with diet rather than drugs that will likely shorten my life.

Here's what I've noticed in the last couple of weeks. Like you, once I stopped the wholesale consumption of fruit then went back to it, the next day the pain was back and it was pretty bad. However, it seems that the further I get away from the fruit-every-day period, the easier it is if I eat fruit or sugar. For example, I had 2 glasses of wine Saturday evening this past weekend, and while I noticed some pain the next morning it was not nearly as bad as my reaction when I had 1 glass of wine about 5 days after I stopped eating fruit every day. I'm hoping this trend continues, and I can eat fruit a little bit (and drink wine!). I also ate a banana a few days ago. No big pain the next day, just a little. If I eat NO fruit then I seem to be getting better and better each day. I'm torn between eating no fruit for as long as it takes to see if I can get rid of pain altogether, and testing just what I CAN eat and get away with.

I was trying to get some info on the internet about the fructose content of fruits, and low and behold Google sent me Cordain's website.

http://www.thepaleodiet.com/nutriti...ls/fruits.shtml

Once you're at the link click on "Click here to view the table" to see a list of total sugars, fructose, glucose, sucrose, and total metabolic fructose of various fruits. I don't know what I should be focusing on here -- fructose? Total sugars? I'm assuming that lower numbers in one of those columns might mean less of an RA reaction.

Another effect I noticed immediately after I stopped eating fruit is that I have some muscle weakness when exercising, and way too much fatigue afterwards. I started adding more carbs into my diet to help combat this (some rice, gluten-free bread, gluten-free pasta) but this has not helped at all. I had this same problem the first 3 weeks I was on the Paleo Diet, but it went away when I started drinking a fruit smoothie with protein powder in it right after exercising. I'm eating protein right after working out now also, but it's not making any difference. I don't know if there are some nutrients in fruit that I'm now missing or what. I have an appointment with a nutritionist in a couple of weeks and maybe he'll be some help with this.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Nov-30-06, 23:44

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleoCH
Have you been on Atkins for 3 years? Do you think that's what stopped your joint pain?

I'd love to not need a new glasses prescription every year!

I have been on Atkins for 4 years. I wholeheartedly believe that Atkins stopped my joint pain. Logically my joint pain should have worsened as I got older. The oposite happened. I was able to run ( slow jog ) in a 5K competition earlier this November.

I attempted a similar run 12 years ago and didn't even come close to attempting to run. I walked the entire distance and came in BUTT LAST.

I also believe that low carbing contributed to my ability to keep my same eye glass for the first time ever. Also, I noticed that my gray hair isn't as gray as it was back in the day. Not Kidding!!!
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Nov-30-06, 23:49

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Rheumatoid arthritis is an immune disorder. I bet you that coconut oil will help tons, if it lives up to the claims of the experts.
  #34   ^
Old Sun, Dec-03-06, 08:33

Plan: Paleo Diet
Stats: 160/149/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
Also, I noticed that my gray hair isn't as gray as it was back in the day. Not Kidding!!!

Since I've stopped eating gluten my hair has gone from wavy to downright curly. My fingernail health is much improved as well.

Thanks for the tip on coconut oil. I've just begun to look into it.