Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Wed, Mar-22-06, 14:27

Plan: Atkins-SCD
Stats: 125/99.5/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 170%

Nany, about the nuts, I have the same thing.
I was wondering if we should soak them as advised in the Nourishing Traditions. I also get the unblanched almond meal, so the skins might irritate me. Next time I'll try the unblanched kind or soak and skin them myself. Wilderness family nanturals sell phytate-free nuts (soaked and baked) but the prices are horrendous.
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Wed, Mar-22-06, 15:18
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I have some blanched, soaked almonds in the cupboard. I have kind of been waiting for my intestines to get back to a good state before trying them. I went a little crazy on these candy bars I made with cashews and macadamias, honey, dried fruit. Ate too many and got D. again. I think I might be ok with macadamias, but not cashews.

I'm starting a fast tomorrow for 3 days. That should put things to rights again!
  #108   ^
Old Wed, Mar-22-06, 15:35

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 258.5/244.5/180 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

Sorry, double post.

Last edited by Aetheana : Wed, Mar-22-06 at 15:39. Reason: Double Post
  #109   ^
Old Wed, Mar-22-06, 15:35

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 258.5/244.5/180 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
You might just be feeling the reaction from the difference in sun intensity from the cruise to back in upper state NY.

It happened to be. I thought I would feel better going on a tropical vacation for the winter. I did for the time I was there but the crash when I came back was so severe it wasn't worth it. Now I just tough it out during the winter and take my D.

No WAY! I thought I might be crashing out after the sun exposure... but i didnt think it could be that dramatic! also i was sleeping on the cruise too, so i thought it might just be the fact i cant nap right now... but i was SO relaxed on the cruise, it was like nothing could bother me. then the same day i get back to cold grey new york, i start crying and having mood swings. now im exhausted to boot!

Im definately going to go tanning tonight then, and i took an extra 2000 IU vitamin D earlier. I FRIGGIN hate all these problems i'm having.
  #110   ^
Old Wed, Mar-22-06, 18:41
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetheana
No WAY! I thought I might be crashing out after the sun exposure... but i didnt think it could be that dramatic! also i was sleeping on the cruise too, so i thought it might just be the fact i cant nap right now... but i was SO relaxed on the cruise, it was like nothing could bother me. then the same day i get back to cold grey new york, i start crying and having mood swings. now im exhausted to boot!
(
Kinda unreal, huh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetheana
I FRIGGIN hate all these problems i'm having.
You'll get better.
  #111   ^
Old Thu, Apr-13-06, 14:28

Plan: Meat Only
Stats: 200/169.6/175 Male 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 122%

Sort of resurrecting this thread.

Has anyone found that eliminating a food you are sensitive to seems to bring out other issues?

I eliminated gluten the first week in February. Since that time, I can no longer tolerate sugar alchohols and legumes. I have never had the normal problems with these in the past. I just assumed that I digested them properly. Now they bother me a lot. One Breathe Saver mint causes major stomach cramps. The same with beans.

I don't get it. Is it possible that my intestinal walls are not as permiable since they aren't being damaged by gluten? I've checked the gluten free boards but haven't seen anything, just that people will become even more sensitive to gluten after giving it up (I have that too).
  #112   ^
Old Fri, Apr-14-06, 02:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 143/143/200 Male 6 foot 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by arc

Has anyone found that eliminating a food you are sensitive to seems to bring out other issues?

My own theory is that when you give up anything for estended periods, you become sensitive to it. That's why many low carbers struggle to go back to a normal WOE if they ever wanted to. For me, once I didn't eat eggs for about a year or so. Today, I can't eat eggs. I used to digest EVERYTHING fine. MSG, aspartame, nitrates, sugars, legumes, gluten, dairy - it didn't matter.
One, I have up eating meat. I was vegetarian! Stuck with it for a while (was terrible bad for me though - a stupid plan). When I tried eating meat again, I couldn't! Gave me these shuddering pains. Eventually I managed to get used to digesting meat again, but it was quite hard.

So, I think, it you leave anything out of your diet long enough, you can find it difficult to tolerate when you try again. I think food intolerances are linked to several things: leaky gut, liver gallstones, gut flora, and how "used to" a thing you are. I have heard of many people obtaining relief from a wide variety of allergies by doing the liver-gallbladder flush enough times. Hasn't worked for me yet though :-)
  #113   ^
Old Fri, Apr-14-06, 06:20

Plan: Atkins-SCD
Stats: 125/99.5/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 170%

Arc, have you checked out the Specific Carbohydrate Diet?
On SCD we don't do sugar alcohols as they are fermented by bad bacteria and produce gases that cause bloating and gas. They are indigestable by humans, which means you are not supposed to gain weight and it's not supposed to have an effect on blood sugar, but they are easily digestable by bacteria.
Also, legumes must be properly soaked and cooked. It's because legumes, grains and nuts are full of enzyme inhibitors and phytates that are supposed to protect the seed before it's time to sprout. So long soaking in lukeawrm water overnight to 24 hours will neutralize these inhibitors, and then you discard the water, rinse it and cook the beans for a long long time until they are soft, skimming off the foam. Nuts can be slow roasted to dry them out.
Even so, some legumes will still contain the bad carbs. So on SCD we don't have legumes for a long time and then only kidney, navy and black beans, lentils and split peas are allowed.
My theory is that by eliminating gluten you only got rid of one offender and your immune system now turns toward the others. Gluten sensitivity is just one aspect of the gut problem.
  #114   ^
Old Fri, Apr-14-06, 09:11
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arc

I eliminated gluten the first week in February. Since that time, I can no longer tolerate sugar alchohols and legumes. I have never had the normal problems with these in the past. I just assumed that I digested them properly. Now they bother me a lot. One Breathe Saver mint causes major stomach cramps. The same with beans.

I don't get it. Is it possible that my intestinal walls are not as permiable since they aren't being damaged by gluten? I've checked the gluten free boards but haven't seen anything, just that people will become even more sensitive to gluten after giving it up (I have that too).

Yeah, I found this too. Not sure why, perhaps because my main intolerance was so bad it was masking my other symptoms? Perhaps because I started paying attention to my gut? There's a lot of people on the glutenfreeforum that found they have to go on a diet like SCD to get things under control. Or find they get better on GF and find out they need to go DF as well.

For me, I suspect I've got colitis or something and the sulfasalazine is helping with that. Getting a colonoscopy next week, so perhaps I'll know more then.

I'm pretty well convinced that bacteria are at the bottom of these issues, giving as how when I'm on an antibiotic my intestines do so much better.
  #115   ^
Old Mon, Apr-17-06, 10:37

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
There's a lot of people on the glutenfreeforum that found they have to go on a diet like SCD to get things under control. Or find they get better on GF and find out they need to go DF as well.

Actually, since going gluten-free, I haven't been having any problems, except when eating legumes or sugar alcohols, which I only did very rarely anyway. It was more of a "gee-whiz" question. Just thought it was weird and was just trying to figure out the mechanics behind it.

I am convinced that a lot of people on the gluten-free forum still have problems because they replaced their gluten crap with gluten-free crap. It's amazing how poorly some continue to eat. It's really hard to read that forum because the nutritional advice is sooooo bad.

Here's another gee-whiz question. It's pretty well known that when we make fat cells, other stuff gets stored there - hormones, vitamins, etc. Is it possible that some gluten gets stored there in some form? This wouldn't hurt your gut, obviously, when released but may affect some auto-immune issues.
  #116   ^
Old Mon, Apr-17-06, 11:50
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
I am convinced that a lot of people on the gluten-free forum still have problems because they replaced their gluten crap with gluten-free crap.

Exactly! I am too. But for some reason I got sensitive to lots more foods after going gluten free.

I've never heard of gluten getting stored in fat cells. If it gets through to the blood stream it'd be a partially disassembled protein called a peptide that is similar in shape to an opiate. So perhaps if you get high off of losing weight... that's why!
  #117   ^
Old Mon, Apr-17-06, 13:21

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I've never heard of gluten getting stored in fat cells. If it gets through to the blood stream it'd be a partially disassembled protein called a peptide that is similar in shape to an opiate. So perhaps if you get high off of losing weight... that's why!

That's kind of why I was asking. My main response to gluten is to get really spacey and get a major headache. I occasionally get that still (less now though), even though I know that I haven't had gluten. I was wondering if it is/was somehow stored in the body and released later and fat was the only thing I could think of.