Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-14, 18:15
Carnivore

Plan: <50 net/day
Stats: 368/305/190 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
BTW: You unsalted butter lovers can freeze your butter to keep it fresh longer.

As if it stays around long enough to worry about that!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-14, 18:25

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I love unsalted butter myself - Kerrygold brand.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-14, 21:40

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

I get unsalted organic butter. I figure if salt is a preservative that perhaps the salted stuff is older than the unsalted. Maybe I'm wrong, but I really don't like salt, so I would rather "salt to taste" than have someone else do it for me. Kerrygold sounds lovely ... but I really cannot imagine how a little country like Ireland - for all its lovely green fields and contented cows (I used to live there; I have seen both green fields and cows) - can supply the whole of North America (and, apparently, Europe and Australia) with butter from grassfed cows. Maybe they can; maybe I'm wrong. But it just seems unlikely to me. So, if Kerrygold doesn't, in fact, come from Irish happy, grassfed cows from where does it come? At that price I tend to be suspicious.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-14, 21:58

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I found a new butter imported from Belgium that is called Chimay.
It's just as good as Kerry Gold and has the same butterfat as KG. What I was reading about butter is that the butter in the US has more water in it.
Ever melt it in a pan and see too much water coming out and your mushrooms begin steaming instead of frying.
That's the difference.
This one from Belgium is only about $2.99, much less than KG and tastes just as good.
I found it at an import food store.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-14, 23:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 00
BF:
Progress:

I've also wondered about the lower price I often see on European butters, which I assume are better quality, such as KG; and I used to buy a Danish brand that was cheaper than butter from a local dairy. The Organic Valley butter at a natural foods store here runs over $7 a pound!

When I was in France a dozen years ago, I marveled at how butter, brie, and pate seemed to be such a bargain, incredible quality at what seemed like ramen prices! Someone told me that it's because in France the government subsidizes those foods (like corn or soy here).
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-14, 08:51

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whofan
Grassfed Kerrygold is the only butter I use. <...>

My definite, all-time favorite!

I don't by USA butters unless they are organic. The rBGH growth hormone put into US cows is banned in over 60 countries due to it's contribution to many diseases, including prostate cancer. European butters are safe.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-14, 12:01

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbena
Kerrygold sounds lovely ... but I really cannot imagine how a little country like Ireland - for all its lovely green fields and contented cows (I used to live there; I have seen both green fields and cows) - can supply the whole of North America (and, apparently, Europe and Australia) with butter from grassfed cows. Maybe they can; maybe I'm wrong. But it just seems unlikely to me. So, if Kerrygold doesn't, in fact, come from Irish happy, grassfed cows from where does it come? At that price I tend to be suspicious.

I don't think Kerrygold does supply the whole of North America, Europe, and Australia. It only supplies people who want grass fed butter and are lucky enough to be able to afford the extra cost. Also, they need to live in areas where they can access it. For example, I live in a huge metropolitan area and Kerrygold is not sold in all the thousands of grocery stores here. I have to go out of my way to find a store that carries it. Sadly, most people have still never heard of grass fed as an option for anything. If the demand for grass fed butter was high enough, Big Food would overwhelm the market with a cheap version that cuts corners (like everything else they do) and try to take whatever market share little Kerrygold has.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-14, 15:47

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

No, you're right, not ALL of N. America etc. However there are a goodly number of Trader Joe's and Whole Foods about, as well as other "Whole Foods" lookalikes, and they cater to the KG crowd, so there is, apparently, a lot of butter coming out of Ireland to feed those who are inclined to buy it. I have nothing against KG, don't get me wrong; its good stuff. But my choice, for my circumstances, is "just plain" organic. My taste buds don't differentiate sufficiently to make the higher price worthwhile - especially as I no longer enjoy a slice of bread slathered thickly with butter (and nothing else)
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-14, 17:33

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I was just thinking that the Belguim butter at $2.99 is cheaper than KG which is about $3.99 but both brands are in a small package probably equal to two sticks or only a 1/2 lb which makes it almost double the cost of regular butter or $8 per pound for Kerry Gold..
Is it worth it IDK? I think I used less of KG because there really was a lot less of water in it when I melted it so maybe I was using less on veggies because I needed less.