Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-02, 11:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 192/189/145
BF:31%/20%
Progress: 6%
Default Cycling help!

So yesterday, I went out on my first longer ride since I sarted Atkins...about 40 miles, and I bonked!
This is what I was afraid of. I need help to know what to eat on long, hard rides to keep up my energy. I have 3 long 50+ rides coming up in Sept. and I'm really trying to stay on the program. Can anyone help me?
What can I carry with me and what should I eat before the rides?
Help!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-02, 09:02

Plan: No more
Stats: 168/177/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -39%
Default what to eat

I'm not much of an expert on biking since the only biking I do is on my exercise bike! But, I do workout a lot and just from experimenting with different things and reading what others are doing as well, it seems that the best results are obtained by adding in a few carbs before strenuous workouts.

You will want to try different things, I'm sure. Some drink a few oz of orange juice before a run, while others do a low carb protein shake with some berries or other fruit added in. Nuts are always an option as well. A girl I use to work with would go on long bike rides and she would get protein drinks and freeze them ahead of time and as she rode in the hot weather, she would drink as it thawed out so that way it was always cold and refreshing while still giving her some carbs and protein as she rode.

Happy biking!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-02, 10:20
Registered Member

Plan: Super Mass Plan
Stats: 172/172/200
BF:
Progress: 0%

40 Miles?!?
I'm impressed.

I'm assuming that you will either be biking at a high intensity or intervals.
This means that your body will be relying on glucose for energy.
I suggest you take in some slow burning/low glycemic carbs before you go biking.
There is no chance that your body will store fat if you take in some carbs before a 40 mile bike ride.
Try something like oatmeal, yams/sweet potatoes or whole wheat bread along with a good protein source before you go riding.

Your body will eat away at muscle if you do not have a little carb up before
a 40 mile bike ride.

Stay away from all fruits(fructose) before and after your bike ride.
The fructose will be virtually useless for energy or recovery.
Fructose restores glycogen in the liver before the muscles.
Our entire bodies are glycogen depleted when using a low carb diet.
We ALWAYS want to restore glycogen in the muscles before the liver.
Stick with the complex carbs I mentioned above and avoid the fruit
I gurantee you will have the energy to make it through the bike ride
and you will limit the amount of muscle you burn.

Have a good time on your next bike ride